Do you ever wonder about the quality of air in your home? Many people do, which is why they purchase an air quality monitor. These air quality sensors can detect pollutants and alert you to dangerous or low quality air in your home.
If you’re curious about your home’s quality of air, invest in one of the best air quality monitors on the market today. There are plenty of options that can detect fine dust particles, chemical toxins, and much more.
- 1 Best Air Quality Sensors
- 1.1 These are the Best Air Quality Monitors:
- 1.2 uHoo Indoor Air Quality Sensor – 9 in 1 Smart Air Monitor
- 1.3 Kaiterra Laser Egg + Chemical: Indoor Air Quality Monitor
- 1.4 Airthings Wave Plus Indoor Air Quality Monitor
- 1.5 Temtop M10i WiFi Air Quality Monitor
- 1.6 Awair 2nd Edition Air Quality Monitor
- 1.7 Atmotube PLUS: Portable Outdoor and Indoor Air Quality Monitor
- 1.8 Huma-i (HI-150), Advanced Portable Air Quality Monitor
- 1.9 EG Air Air Quality Monitor
- 1.10 AiRead N1 Industrial Grade Real-Time Air Quality Monitor
- 1.11 YVELINES Indoor Air Quality Monitor
- 2 How To Measure Air Quality
- 3 Air Quality Meter Buying Guide
- 4 Final Thoughts
Best Air Quality Sensors
Check out the best air quality monitors to learn whether the air in your home is clean or full of toxins and pollutants. Improve your home health with these air monitors!
These are the Best Air Quality Monitors:
- uHoo Indoor Air Quality Sensor – 9 in 1 Smart Air Monitor
- Kaiterra Laser Egg + Chemical: Indoor Air Quality Monitor
- Airthings Wave Plus Indoor Air Quality Monitor
- Temtop M10 Air Quality Monitor
- Awair 2nd Edition Air Quality Monitor
- Atmotube PLUS: Portable Outdoor and Indoor Air Quality Monitor
- Huma-i (HI-150), Advanced Portable Air Quality Monitor
- EG Air Air Quality Monitor
- AiRead N1 Industrial Grade Real-Time Air Quality Monitor
- YVELINES Indoor Air Quality Monitor
- 9 sensors: temperature, humidity, dust, toxins, nitrogen dioxide, carbon dioxide, ozone, air pressure, VOCs, and more
- Mobile app streamlines data
- Smart integrations: compatible with IFTTT, Alexa, Google Home, Nest, and more
- Compact design
- Alarms and adjustable threshold alerts
- Tips on how to improve air quality
- 1 year warranty
- Detects most home toxins
- Smart capabilities
- Only works on 2.4GHz WiFi
- Some reports of difficult set up
The uHoo Indoor Air Quality Sensor is a great pick for most homes. Its ability to connect to smart devices like Alexa, Nest, Google Assistant, or IFTTT is an exciting perk, especially for those who use other smart home devices. There were some complaints of a difficult set up, but that may be because customers did not realize that it has to connect to 2.4 GHz WiFi, not 5.0.
- THE WORLD’S MOST ADVANCED MONITOR – You can breathe freely and easily when you know what’s in your air. Only uHoo’s air quality monitor provides a fully comprehensive analysis by measuring indoor temperature, humidity, dust, toxins, nitrogen dioxide, carbon dioxide, ozone, air pressure, and more.
- A BREATH OF FRESH AIR – Your asthma, allergies, and sleep quality all suffer when indoor air is unclean. Don’t let impurities impacts your overall health, happiness, and productivity. uHoo tests the air, and the uHoo mobile app streamlines your data for personalized tips to achieve the safest atmosphere possible.
- SMART & SEAMLESS – Clean breathing in any indoor environment is finally possible. The uHoo system syncs with any IFTTT-compatible device. It works with Nest, Roomba, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and more for anything from scheduled cleanings to 24/7 climate control. You can even record your data on Google Spreadsheet using IFTTT.
- EFFORTLESS CONNECTION – With uHoo, advanced technology is simpler than ever. Just plug in your uHoo, connect to WiFi, and receive round-the-clock feedback through 9 precisely calibrated sensors. All you need is a stable network and a smartphone or tablet with iOS 9 or newer or Android 4.3 or newer.
- SIGH OF RELIEF SUPPORT – For complete peace of mind, uHoo provides a 1-year warranty. If you have any questions or concerns about your product, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our customer support team. After all, you are uHoo’s #1 priority!
Kaiterra Laser Egg + Chemical: Indoor Air Quality Monitor
- Measures fine dust particles (PM2.5), total VOC chemicals, temperature, and humidity
- Kaiterra app shows historical data and sends alerts when air levels are dangerous
- Cloud-based calibration
- Integrates with other smart devices via Apple Home Kit or IFTTT
- 8 hour battery life
- Meets international AQI standards
- Has sleep settings
- Measures most important air quality toxins
- App and device are easy to use
- Smart integration
- Some users say TVOC is overly sensitive
- Some complaints of poor WiFi connection
The Kaiterra Laser Egg + Chemical Indoor Air Quality Monitor is one of the best air quality sensors on the market. It reads all the most important measurements for air quality and is fairly accurate, although some users think that the TVOC sensors are too sensitive. It can work with smart home setups, and it’s easy to use and understand.
- ACCURATE. Monitors major pollutants and factors that affect indoor air quality, including PM2.5 (fine dust), VOCs (chemicals), temperature, and humidity
- MOBILE. Monitor from anywhere with the Kaiterra app. Get access to historical trends and receive alerts when the air exceeds predetermined thresholds
- CONNECTED. Works with other home appliances via Apple HomeKit and IFTTT. Set up your smart home ecosystem to automatically protect your home against pollutants and allergens
- WIFI-ENABLED (2.4 GHz connection). Support for iOS and Android smartphones and tablets
Airthings Wave Plus Indoor Air Quality Monitor
- 6 key indoor air factors: Radon, carbon dioxide, toxins and chemicals (total VOCs), humidity, temperature, and air pressure
- Airthings mobile app streamlines data and reporting
- Color-coded sensor shows general air quality
- Smart integration with IFTTT, Alexa, Google Assistant
- Battery operated, 16 month battery life
- Detects radon
- Smart integration
- No need to plug in
- Poor WiFi connection
- Frequent software updates take a while
The Airthings Wave Plus Indoor Air Quality Monitor is another good option. It detects the main 6 toxins or air factors that are most important to your health, and if you wave your hand over the sensor it will light up green, yellow, or red to alert you to the general air quality in your home. The app is easy to use, and it can work with smart devices. Customers have complained about connectivity issues, however, as well as slow and frequent software updates.
- AWARD-WINNING: Wave Plus is an award-winning smart indoor air quality monitor with radon detection. (TIME magazine's Best Inventions 2019)
- RELIABLE RADON RESULTS: As radon levels fluctuate daily, long term measuring is necessary. Air things Wave Plus measures radon accurately and reliably.
- CLEAN AIR SENSORS: Radon, Carbon Dioxide (CO2), toxins and chemicals (Total VOCs), humidity, temperature and air pressure sensors allow you to gain full visibility into six key indoor air factors.
- TAKE CONTROL OF INDOOR AIR: Know what’s in the air you breathe so you can take action, dramatically improve indoor air quality and keep your family safe.
- QUICK AND CLEAR RESULTS: Connect via Bluetooth to the Air things App or log in to the Air things Dashboard online for detailed insights into your air.
Temtop M10i WiFi Air Quality Monitor
- 4 main air factors: PM2.5, HCHO, TVOC toxins, and AQI, which includes ozone, carbon dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, sulfur dioxide and more
- Temtop App features real time data and weather
- Updated and advanced particle sensor
- Lasts 6 hours on one charge
- Easy set up
- Accurate and extensive readings
- App only works well with one phone at a time
- Short battery life – works better plugged in
The Temtop M10i is another good choice for anyone worried about their air quality. While it doesn’t connect to smart devices, it still works well for those who don’t need that feature. It’s easy to set up and the app offers plenty of data, including the weather forecast. It is also small and easy to hide around your home if you don’t want to leave it out.
- Brand New Wireless 5-IN-1 Air Quality Monitor: PM2.5,HCHO,TVOC,AQI,WIFI
- With Temtop App, it supports real-time AQI monitoring, remote turn on/off function, display local weather forcast and etc. Support iPhone or Android phones."
- 3 Steps to WIFI, easy operation
- Temtop 3rd-generation laser particle sensor with max. 20,000 hours' lifetime. Combined with the unique particle swarm optimization algorithm, it makes particle measurement more accurate and stable.
- Top electrochemical sensor from Dart UK with pre-calibrated that provides more accurate formaldehyde molecule measurements. Its TVOC detect function can covering a wide range of organic pollutants of VOCs. 24/7 US Technician Support via Email and Phone.
Awair 2nd Edition Air Quality Monitor
- Measures 5 key factors of air quality: fine dust (PM2.5), chemicals (VOCs), carbon dioxide, humidity, and temperature
- Awair app provides real-time feedback
- Offers actionable tips to improve air quality
- Smart integration with Alexa, Google Assistant, and other smart devices
- Can manage multiple Awair devices from one smartphone app
- Color coded air quality reporting and 0-100 scoring scale
- Covers up to 1000 feet of space with accuracy
- Sleek, compact design
- Smart integrations
- Only works with 2.4GHz WiFi
- Complaints of different reports between different models
The Awair 2nd Edition Air Quality Monitor is a great purchase for anyone looking for a stylish air quality sensor for their home. It can integrate with other smart devices if you have a smart home, and it reports on the most important factors of air quality. The tips are helpful to take action if your air is not ideal. The only issue is that some people found conflicting readings compared to other models of the device.
- See the invisible: Awair 2nd Edition tracks the 5 key factors of air quality: fine dust (Pm2.5), chemicals (VOCs), Co2, humidity, and temperature. These elements can impact your health and comfort in many ways, including Respiratory health, sleep, focus, mood, and immunity.
- Gain actionable insights: receive real-time feedback and browse actionable tips to improve the health of your space in the free Awair app.
- Awair Connect: with the Awair app, you can connect with other smart products to automatically keep your air clean and healthy. Awair works with Alexa, Google Home, and more.
- Centralized control: control settings and manage multiple Awair devices from anywhere using your smartphone. Works with iPhone iOS (8 or later), Android (Jelly Bean 4.3 or later), requires 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi. Awair score is a color-coded scale
Atmotube PLUS: Portable Outdoor and Indoor Air Quality Monitor
- Measures a wide range of VOCs plus atmospheric pressure, temperature, and humidity
- Works indoors and outdoors
- Pocket sized
- Up to 7 days battery life
- Atmotube mobile app shows historical and real-time data, sends threshold alerts, and gives a personal air quality score
- Environmental data is shared to a global air quality map for public use and research
- Portable and wearable
- Accurate – reads every 2 seconds
- Extremely small and portable
- Works indoors and outdoors
- Easy to use app
- Must connect to app – no screen on the device
- Doesn’t measure CO2 or fine dust particles
The Atmotube PLUS is a great buy, especially for those interested in their outdoor air quality as well. It’s extremely easy to carry around to measure the quality of air throughout your day. As long as you have a smartphone to connect it to, this air quality sensor works great and provides useful information about your environment.
- Real-time air quality tracker constantly monitors the environment around you, accurately measuring a wide range of Volatile Organic compounds (VOCs) like acetone, methanol, formaldehyde and harmful gases.
- Portable and Wearable: most compact air quality meter which securely hooks on a bag or belt, with up to 7 days battery life so you can take it anywhere and test air pollution in or outside your home.
- Multi-purpose: Atmotube Plus air quality tester also includes a weather station with atmospheric pressure, temperature, and humidity sensors for using indoors or outdoors.
- Mobile app: The Atmotube mobile app is available for iOS 9 and Android 4.3 and higher smartphones with Bluetooth LE support. Its clear and simple user interface shows current air quality readings and helps you track the history of your measurements and your personal air score. If the air quality gets below certain point, you will immediately receive an alert.
- The Impact: the aggregated environmental data is shared to a global air quality Map that is available for everyone to use. Atmotube Plus is a personal contribution to global air pollution Awareness, as well as a potential lifesaver for you and your family.
Huma-i (HI-150), Advanced Portable Air Quality Monitor
- Measures carbon dioxide, VOC chemicals, dust particles (PM2.5 and PM10), temperature, and humidity
- Works indoors and outdoors
- Built-in fan to draw in ambient air for real-time readings
- Easy to read display
- Small, compact design
- Measures all the important factors accurately
- Indoor and outdoor use is a plus
- No accompanying app
- No smart integrations
The Huma-i HI 150 Air Quality Monitor is a great option for anyone on the go. It is portable and can also accurately read outdoor air quality, which many others cannot do. This is great for those in areas like cities with poor air quality that may wonder if opening a window will help or harm their home’s air quality. Unfortunately, it does not have an app for reporting or smart integrations, but it’s a great basic air quality meter.
- REAL-TIME AIR QUALITY MEASURE - Monitor air quality with the touch of a button, measuring levels of CO2, Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC), and Particle Matter ((PM2.5 & PM10). Also measure temperature and humidity in your surroundings.
- PORTABILITY - With pocket-sized portability, take the Huma-i with you at all times to measure the quality of air around you. Great for both indoor and outdoor environments.
- ADVANCED FAN & SENSORS – The Huma-i has a built-in fan to quickly draw in ambient air to allow real-time measurements
- EASY OF USE - Easily read real time air quality results in graph mode or Icon mode through the OLED display by toggling a one touch button. And easily view the Status LED lights that lets you quickly know the status of CO2, VOC, and particle matter.
- DURABLE & STYLISH - Sturdy and designed focused outer casing looks great while protecting your Huma-i device. Have peace of mind when carrying your Huma-i device during your activities.
EG Air Air Quality Monitor
- Measures HCHO (formaldehyde), TVOCs, fine dust particles (PM2.5 and PM10)
- Built-in fan draws in ambient air for real time testing
- Adjustable alarm for poor air quality
- Comes with 20+ page eBook on Gas and Air Quality Hazards
- US based support line
- Accurate readings
- Detects formaldehyde levels
- Does not detect carbon dioxide, humidity, or temperature
This is a solid choice if you’re looking for a simple air quality monitor. This device from EG Air is accurate and useful in many ways, although it does not detect carbon dioxide, humidity, or temperature. It is small and portable, however, and works well for many customers. The eBook helps to explain air quality, how readings work, and the dangers of poor air quality. While it isn’t our top pick, it is a good, affordable option.
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL & SCIENTIFIC – This indoor air quality monitor accurately assesses multiple measures of air quality including concentrations of formaldehyde (HCHO), total natural & synthetic volatile organic compounds causing most odors (TVOC), and fine particulate dust matter measuring <2.5 microns in size (PM2.5) which travel deeply into the respiratory tract, reaching the lung alveoli and can worsen asthma.
- PORTABLE TESTING – Spot check indoor air quality anywhere or leave device on for continuous monitoring up to 2 days. This easy-to-carry air quality tester can help monitor air quality at home, in the car, and in hotel rooms. The 2200mAh battery provides portable power when DC 5V micro USB charging is not available. Information is displayed on a clear 2.8” color LCD display.
- ADVANCED FAN & SENSORS – This air quality monitor has a built-in fan to quickly draw in ambient air to allow REAL-TIME measurements. It incorporates a laser sensor to measure levels of dust particles and has a second electrochemical semiconductor sensor to measure formaldehyde and natural/synthetic organic compound levels.
- HEALTHY HOME? – Is your family suffering from sick building syndrome? This air quality tester detects organic compounds like formaldehyde which has suspected links to nasal cancer and lung cancer emitted from many household materials. By measuring particulate pollution, an air pollution monitor can also help you know when asthma may worsen and when to change your home’s air filter.
- ORIGINAL DESIGN & USA BASED SUPPORT – We have Midwest-based technical staff including a chemist to answer any questions you have. Also included will be a 20+ page eBook on Gas and Air Quality Hazards. We have worked with the supplier that holds this air quality detector’s design rights so you can be confident this item is tried and tested.
AiRead N1 Industrial Grade Real-Time Air Quality Monitor
- Measures fine dust particles (PM2.5), formaldehyde (HCHO), temperature, and humidity
- AiRead app shows real-time reporting and historical data, as well as weather reports
- Built-in fan to draw in air
- Magnetic shield around laser sensor to block electricity that could affect readings
- Smart device compatible
- Accurate readings
- Compact design
- Does not measure carbon dioxide or VOCs
- Readings are very technical, not reported in layman’s terms
- One reviewer said the app is in Chinese – no confirmation either way
The best part of the AiRead N1 Industrial Grade Real-Time Air Quality Monitor is that it’s accurate – unlike most other sensors, there are no complaints about inaccurate reporting. There are other drawbacks, however: it does not detect as much as other air quality meters, the reports are in very technical terms that most people won’t understand without researching, and the app may be in Chinese (we can’t find it to confirm).
YVELINES Indoor Air Quality Monitor
- Measures fine dust particles (PM2.5 and PM10), carbon dioxide, formaldehyde (HCHO), TVOCs, temperature, and humidity
- Measures in Celsius and Fahrenheit
- Easy to read, air quality light indication and alarms in case of dangerous air quality
- Rechargeable battery lasts 6 hours
- Works best while stationary – expect odd fluctuations for a few minutes if you move it
- Very accurate readings on all the key air quality factors
- Easy to use and set up
- No app
- No smart integrations
The YVELINES Indoor Air Quality Monitor is a solid purchase, known for super accurate results. While it doesn’t have as many modern features like a mobile app or smart home capabilities like some others, there are no complaints about its accuracy – which is the most important feature. For a basic meter to test your air quality, this is a good purchase at an affordable price.
- Know Your Air: YVELINES Air Quality Monitor is designed by the gas flow conductivity detection technology with combination of factory testing, calibration and ISO compliance will provide you trustworthy measurements. As well as a high resolution in CO2 HCHO/TVOC values will shows you the slightest fluctuations in the air quality. It allows you to take timely measures to keep the air quality within safe levels on Home/Office/School/Car and various occasions.
- Special Multifunctional Tester: It can monitor CO2 PM2.5/PM10, HCHO, TVOC, indoor temperature(°C/°F switchable) and relative humidity together about the value for HCHO/TVOC and PM2.5/PM10. Easy to read numbers surrounded by LCD Color Screen Digital Display with air quality light indication and support of an alarm sound will let you know if you air is unsafe and you need to take some actions.
- Rechargeable: This model now has a rechargeable 2000mAn lithium battery that can last up to 360 minutes. Built-in low power consumption processing chip, can carry on 24 hours uninterrupted monitoring to air quality if you plug into adapter to charge it. It will always take care of your breathing.
- Your Health Assistant: CO2 Formaldehyde HCHO/TVOC and PM2.5/PM10 real time gas monitoring to let you know air quaility.It can help us detect the air gas we can not feel or underestimate,designs key in household,office,school,car,etc...especially in which has baby,child,pregnant woman and the old.
- Kindly Note: Please be aware, during relocation of the monitor (movement) high fluctuation in values will occur. This will happen due to higher air circulation rate. We do recommend using the monitor as a stationary unit and focus on 30 and 60 minute values. If you have any questions regarding monitor functionality or you need any assistance on how to re-calibrate the sensors, please contact us via email; we will always be your site.
How To Measure Air Quality
One of the best ways for common people to measure their air quality is through an air quality meter – we’ve listed some of the best air quality monitors on the market today, so it should be easy to find one that works for you.
Generally, however, air quality measurements are streamlined by an Air Quality Index, or AQI. The AQI is measured on a scale of 0 to 500 degrees, and is generally for outdoor measurements. This chart from AirNow shows AQI measurements and their associated health levels:
Aside from the general AQI measurement, there are other measurements for indoor air quality testing. Look out for the following measurements to determine your home’s air quality:
Fine Dust and Particles
These are often listed as PM 2.5 or PM 10 – microscopic particles in the air. PM 2.5 is any particle smaller than 2.5 microns, likely smoke from fire, candles, cigarettes, cooking, vehicle exhaust, and so on. PM 10 is any particle smaller than 10 microns, which typically includes dust, pollen, or mold.
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
VOCs are gases of a range of chemicals that can be emitted from various products in many homes. These organic compounds can cause minor irritation to more harmful health issues. Most air quality sensors will detect certain harmful VOCs, which often come from household items like paint, cleaners, aerosol sprays, and even on furniture.
Carbon dioxide is a very natural substance, as we all exhale this gas. Too much carbon dioxide can be a problem, however, and suggests poor ventilation which could lead to the build up of other chemicals. High levels of CO2 are often associated with high levels of other polluting agents, which is why many air quality monitors detect CO2.
Formaldehyde, also known by its chemical composition H-CHO, is a common chemical found in paint, building materials, and other household objects. High levels of formaldehyde can be dangerous for one’s health, which is why it is often detected by air quality meters. Too much formaldehyde can cause eye, nose, throat, or skin irritation. It is also a carcinogen, so extreme levels can potentially cause cancer.
Temperature and Humidity
Many air quality monitors also measure temperature and humidity. While temperature is relatively easy to keep track of via your thermostat, humidity is another important factor. These two, in combination, can affect the relative humidity of your home.
Relative humidity indoors should be between 30% and 50%, ideally. A relative humidity higher than 60% can lead to mold and mildew growth in your home, which is a pollutant. Low humidity below 20% can dry and irritate the eyes, throat, and other mucous membranes.
Air Quality Meter Buying Guide
Now that you understand the common pollutants and air quality factors in your home, how do you choose the best monitor? Use our buying guide to find the best air quality sensor for you.
Measurements and Precision
What factors does your chosen air quality monitor read? Not all of them detect every pollutant, so be sure to check what they can and cannot detect and get the right device for your needs.
After that, check out reviews to see how precise the measurements are. You can look into the system of measurement, although it might get too scientific for most people to follow. Reviews should provide a good idea of how paying customers felt the device worked.
The size and look of an air quality meter can affect your decision to purchase. No one wants a huge, bulky, ugly monitor on display in their home. Many of the best air quality monitors are compact and stylishly designed to fit into any home decor.
Ease of Use
How easy is it to use and understand your monitor? Most have screens with the real-time output, and the more advanced options come with an accompanying app for your smart phone where you can access data. Make sure that you can easily use and understand your air quality sensor of choice. Consider the ease of set up as well.
Many of today’s products are smart air quality monitors. They can connect with smart home hubs, integrate with other smart devices, and more. If you have a smart home and want all of your devices connected, pick one of the smart air monitors.
Choose from one of our favorite air quality monitors to monitor and improve the quality of air in your home! The best air quality monitors can detect all of the most common toxins and streamline data so that you can easily understand.