How clean is the air in your home? Even in a clean house, the air can be full of contaminants that may affect your health. That’s why more and more people are turning to air purifiers to remove harmful contaminants from the air inside their homes.
The air inside your home can easily become less healthy than the air outside due to stagnant air building up toxins. Most people aren’t even aware of the air quality of their homes, which is why smart air purifiers are the best option for modern households. The best smart air purifiers can tell you how the air quality of your home has improved, give feedback, and integrate with other smart devices to make it easier to control and manage.
- 1 Best Smart Air Purifiers of 2020
- 1.1 These are the Best Air Purifiers to Remove Pollutants in Your Home:
- 1.2 Molekule Air Purifier with PECO Purification Technology
- 1.3 AIRMEGA 400S The Smarter App Enabled Air Purifier
- 1.4 RabbitAir MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier w/WiFi
- 1.5 Airdog X5 Air Purifier
- 1.6 Dyson Pure Cool Link TP02 Wi-Fi Enabled Air Purifier
- 1.7 Germ Guardian WiFi Bluetooth Smart Voice Control Air Purifier for Home
- 1.8 LEVOIT Smart WiFi Air Purifier for Home
- 1.9 Philips Air Purifier 1000i
- 2 How To Choose an Air Purifier
- 3 FAQ
- 4 Final Thoughts
Best Smart Air Purifiers of 2020
The best air purifiers on the market today have smart features. Check out the best smart air purifiers available in 2020.
These are the Best Air Purifiers to Remove Pollutants in Your Home:
- Molekule Air Purifier with PECO Purification Technology
- AIRMEGA 400S The Smarter App Enabled Air Purifier
- RabbitAir MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier w/WiFi
- Airdog X5 Air Purifier
- Dyson Pure Cool Link TP02 Wi-Fi Enabled Air Purifier
- Germ Guardian WiFi Bluetooth Smart Voice Control Air Purifier for Home
- LEVOIT Smart WiFi Air Purifier for Home
- Philips Air Purifier 1000i
- Uses Photo Electrochemical Oxidation (PECO) nanotechnology to purify air
- Destroys toxins, viruses, VOCs, allergens, bacteria, and mold
- Works in large rooms up to 600 square feet
- Touch screen display
- Connects to WiFi and can be controlled via mobile app
- Made from machined aluminum
- Portable with leather handle for easy carrying
- Comes with 6 month filter pack including one PECO filter and 2 pre-filters
- 360 degree air intake
- Destroys pollutants while also removing ozone
- Removes particles up to 1000x smaller than the standard HEPA filter
- Works well in large rooms
- Easy to use touch screen or smart connected app
- Replacement filters are also expensive and you must use Molekule brand filters or the warranty is voided
The Molekule AIr Purifier with PECO Purification Technology is the most advanced air purifier out there today. It not only filters out pollutants, but destroys them so that they cannot re-enter the air in your home. The Molekule Air Purifier is by far the best smart air purifier out there and best air purifier in general, but it is pricey. If you can afford to splurge, this air cleaner is worthwhile.
AIRMEGA 400S The Smarter App Enabled Air Purifier
- Pre-filter picks up large pollutants like hair, fur, and dust
- Max2 dual filter made of activated carbon filter and HEPA filter reduces up to 99.97% of particles of size 0.3 microns in the air, including pollen, pollutants, allergens, VOCs, and fumes such as NH3 and CH3CHO
- Also functions as air quality monitor
- Works in large rooms up to 1560 square feet
- Powerful dual suction on both sides
- Smart Mode automatically adapts to its surroundings and sets fan speed based on air quality
- Energy efficient
- Filter indicator tells user when filters need to be replaced or cleaned
- Coway IoCare mobile app offers real-time air quality updates, filter monitoring, and scheduling timers
- Compatible with Alexa and Dash Replenishment Service
- Filters most common toxins
- Air quality reports
- Works in extra large rooms, large area of coverage
- Smart features, voice control
- Complaints of slow app updates
The AIRMEGA 400S Air Purifier is one of the best smart purifiers on the market today. If you’re looking to effectively filter toxins out of a larger space, this is a great option since it can cover rooms up to 1560 square feet in size. It is still on the expensive side, but the AIRMEGA 400S works extremely well at cleaning air, and customer reviews state a noticeable difference in air quality.
RabbitAir MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier w/WiFi
- Advanced BioGS HEPA filter with 6 levels of purification and deodorization
- Uses pre-filter, medium filter, HEPA filter, and activated charcoal filter, plus a customized filter for either germ defense, toxin absorber, pet allergies, or odor diffuser
- Traps allergens and particles 0.3 microns in size at 99.97% efficiency
- Reduces buildup of allergens and growth of bacteria and viruses in filter
- Control remotely with WiFi connection and Rabbit Air App, set schedules, and order refills
- Smart light sensor changes to sleep mode when the lights are off and no one is in the room
- Covers rooms up to 815 square feet
- Can stand alone or mount to wall
- Customizable panel to fit your style
- Customizable to fit your home’s needs
- Filters out common pollutants with advanced filter
- Energy efficient, Energy Star rated motor
- Works in large rooms
- Smart features like remote use via app and light sensors
- Some complaints of poor scheduling features in app
- No reporting on air quality over time
The RabbitAIr MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier has 4 options to choose from: germ defense, odor remover, pet allergy, and toxin absorber. It has the same great features with all four options and one specialized filter depending on your needs, so you can pick which of the four is most important for your home’s air quality. This is a top-notch air purifier, with only a few complaints of lacking features in the app.
Airdog X5 Air Purifier
- Multi-stage filtration with 5 layers of reusable filters for allergens, dust, pet odor, smoke, and mold
- Captures and destroys bacteria and viruses through static electricity
- Washable filters, dishwasher safe
- Safety features: made from fire-proof material, child safety lock
- Ionic wind filtration technology is efficient and quiet
- Control remotely with Airdog smart app or check air quality
- Auto adjusts to room’s necessary settings based on air quality
- Display with real-time air quality monitor
- TPA technology prevents mold or bacteria from growing on the filter
- Ozone removal
- Cleans rooms up to 800 square feet
- Washable filter eliminates waste and saves on costly replacements
- Destroys most pollutants found in homes
- Smart features like remote control via app and auto adjustment
- Also functions as air quality monitor
- Some customers noted that the device has an unpleasant smell, but this passes over time
- Light can’t be turned off separate from the air purifier
The Airdog X5 Air Purifier is another one of the best air purifiers out there right now. It has easy to use smart features and also functions as a real time air quality monitor, showing you how the air quality changes while the purifier works. It not only filters, but destroys, the most common and harmful pollutants. The washable filters are a huge plus, as most air purifiers require replacements that can get expensive over time.
Dyson Pure Cool Link TP02 Wi-Fi Enabled Air Purifier
- HEPA filter removes 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns including pollen, dust, mold spores, bacteria, pet dander, and other allergens
- Also functions as a cooling fan on warm days
- Second activated carbon filter captures odors and VOCs like paint fumes
- Certified Asthma and Allergy Friendly, QuietMark accredited
- Provides real-time air quality reports
- Automatically monitors and reacts, setting the proper function for the air quality of your home
- Control remotely via smartphone
- Night-time mode, sleep timers, oscillation feature, 10 airspeed modes, automatic shut-off if tipped over
- Compatible with Alexa voice control
- Effectively filters and circulates clean air via fan
- Smart features like remote control via app, automatic reaction settings, and voice control
- Plenty of other useful features included
- Replacement filters are expensive
Dyson is a trusted brand in innovative home technology, and their air purifier is as great as expected. It has a sleek design, and works well to filter and circulate air. It also works as a quality monitor and has other great features like 10 different fan speeds, oscillation, and more. While Dyson is often an expensive brand, this is a great product for the price.
Germ Guardian WiFi Bluetooth Smart Voice Control Air Purifier for Home
- 4 in 1 air filter: pre-filter, activated charcoal filter, HEPA filter, and UV-C light
- Pre-filter traps dust, pet hair, and larger particles
- Activated charcoal filters odors from pets, smoke, fumes, and more
- HEPA filter reduces 99.97% of germs, mold spores, and odors
- UV-C light kills airborne viruses and bacteria and reduces VOCs
- Functions as air quality monitor as well
- 5 speed settings
- Energy efficient: Energy Star certified and CARB compliant
- WiFi and Bluetooth enabled
- Get alerts and control remotely via smartphone app
- Voice control via Alexa and Google Assistant
- 5 year warranty
- 4 forms of filtration
- Smart features that enhance controls
- Real-time air quality monitor
- Complaints of poor connection to app
- Status lights stay on if the machine is on
The Germ Guardian Air Purifier is another great pick. The four filters are a big win for this air purifier, cancelling out most pollutants, bacteria, viruses, and odors. It also comes with a 5 year warranty so you can rest assured that it won’t be a waste of money. There were some issues with the WiFi connectivity reported, however. For the price, this is a great pick.
LEVOIT Smart WiFi Air Purifier for Home
- Active carbon HEPA filter catches dust, pet dander, smoke, odors, and allergens
- Smart features: remote control via app, set schedules or timers, monitor air quality, adjust fan speed, change modes and light displays
- Voice control via Alexa, Google Assistant, IFTTT
- Check status of smart filter via app to get exact replacement dates
- Energy efficient: Energy Star, CARB, and FCC certified and CE & ETL listed
- Timer settings from 1-12 hours for maximum control
- Also functions as real-time air quality sensor
- Quiet fan
- Filters common pollutants
- Lots of useful smart features and voice control
- Energy efficient
- No mention of purifying for bacteria, mold, or viruses
The LEVOIT Smart WiFi Air Purifier is another solid choice for those looking to clean the air in their homes. It works well and has plenty of positive reviews. The smart features are advanced with this air purifier, with more voice control options and an app with unique options like the smart filter assessment. For the price, this is a great option.
Philips Air Purifier 1000i
- True HEPA filter reduces 99.97% of allergens, pollen, pet dander, dust mites, gases, and odors
- Professional grade air quality sensor
- Fan auto adjusts based on air quality
- Activated carbon filter absorbs odors, gases, and VOCs
- 3 automatic purification settings: general, sensitive allergen mode, and NightSense mode that turns down the lights and fan speed when it senses the lights are off
- Control remotely via AirMatters app
- Best for small to medium sized rooms
- AHAM and Energy Star certified
- Effectively filters out toxins and pollutants
- Smart compatibility
- NightSense setting reduces light and fan noises for sleeping
- Automatic adjustments based on real-time air quality readings
- Uses a lot of energy – users report much higher bills
Philips is another trusted brand, and their Air Purifier works well. It’s not too expensive and eliminates the most common pollutants found in homes. The biggest downside to this device is the high energy usage – customer reviews state significantly higher energy bills when using this air purifier.
How To Choose an Air Purifier
Most of us don’t know all about the exact toxins and pollutant levels in our air, so it can be difficult to know what to look for in an air purifier. Learn how to choose a smart air purifier with this buying guide.
What Contaminants Does It Remove?
The most important function of an air purifier is how it cleans the air, so be sure to consider this first when choosing one. There are a few different kinds of filters that may be used that can remove different particles.
The types of contaminants to consider include:
- Pet hair
- VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and other gas fumes
The main type of filters include HEPA filters, activated charcoal filters, pre-filters, and oxidation based filters that break down particles.
Pre-filters typically sort out larger particles like dust, fur, and hair. HEPA filters are the standard, and are used to collect smaller particles. Activated charcoal is typically used for odors and chemicals like VOCs. Oxidation filters typically use technology like UV light to break down VOCs and other microscopic particles.
Many of the air purifiers on our list can handle all of these contaminants and most use more than one type of filter for better coverage.
How big of a room do you need to clean? Air purifiers typically work better in spaces specified by the manufacturer. Luckily, many of the best air purifiers on our list can efficiently clean a room of 800 to over 1000 square feet. Others may be optimized for smaller spaces, but can eventually clean larger ones. Consider what space you want to clean the air in and how quickly it will work.
The best air purifiers are smart air purifiers. Smart capabilities make it easy to check on your home’s air quality remotely and change the settings on your air quality monitor from an app on your smartphone. Aside from remote use, many smart purifiers have automatic sensors and functions that will adjust for the air quality they detect, so they’re constantly making intelligent decisions. Add a smart air purifier to your smart home.
How much maintenance does your air purifier require? Most of them have filters that will need to be replaced roughly every six months, depending on which you choose. More often than not, they either require or work best with their specific brand’s replacement filters. This means more effort on your part as well as more expenses as you have to replace the filter.
Check out how much maintenance is required and how much the replacement filters cost when choosing an air purifier. Some last longer, some have smart detection settings, and some, like the Airdog X5 has a washable filters so that you don’t have to spend money on a replacement.
Do air purifiers really work?
Yes, air purifiers really work – if you get a high quality one. While there are surely products out there that fail to meet expectations, the best smart air purifiers on this list have high tech components and great reviews that prove that they work well.
What does an air purifier do?
An air purifier filters out pollutants in the air. Various types of filters can remove, and in some cases even destroy, toxins, chemicals, and other particles in the air that can be harmful to air quality and health.
Where should I place my air purifier?
Read the specifications for your chosen air purifier on where to place it. Generally speaking, it should go somewhere with good airflow that makes it easy to clean the air throughout the room. The best smart air purifiers have fans that efficiently pull air in and force clean air out, so position doesn’t matter too much.
Purify the air in your home for better health and peace of mind! These smart air purifiers are the best of the best, with great features that are sure to improve the air quality in your home.
Last update on 2020-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API