Thermostats have come a long way, especially with some of the best smart thermostats available today. They started off as bulky appliances that were difficult to program, and they were not always effective. Today, however, thermostats have joined the list of other smart home appliances.
Smart thermostats are not only easy to operate but also effective. Most importantly, however, is the fact that they are smart. They are programmable and much more flexible than their conventional predecessors.
- 1 Top 10 Smart Thermostats
- 2 Smart Thermostat Reviews
- 2.1 Nest T4000ES Smart Thermostat
- 2.2 Ecobee Smart Thermostat
- 2.3 Mysa Smart Thermostat
- 2.4 Honeywell T9 Smart Thermostat
- 2.5 Nest T3007ES Smart Thermostat
- 2.6 Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat
- 2.7 Honeywell T5 Smart Thermostat
- 2.8 Lux Products Smart Thermostat
- 2.9 Bosch BCC100 Smart Thermostat
- 2.10 Kono KN-S-MG Smart Thermostat
- 3 Smart Thermostat Buying Guide
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Final Thoughts
Top 10 Smart Thermostats
There are lots of smart thermostat options to choose from, and each has something unique to offer. Here is a review of the ten best WiFi thermostats of 2020.
These are the Best Smart Thermostats:
- Nest T4000ES Smart Thermostat
- Ecobee Smart Thermostat
- Mysa Smart Thermostat
- Honeywell T9 Smart Thermostat
- Nest T3007ES Smart Thermostat
- Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat
- Honeywell T5 Smart Thermostat
- Lux Products Smart Thermostat
- Bosch BCC100 Smart Thermostat
- Kono KN-S-MG Smart Thermostat
Nest T4000ES Smart Thermostat
This smart thermostat is Amazon’s top selling smart thermostat, and for good reason. It is easy to use and has great, energy efficient features.
This smart thermostat gives you the ability to adjust temperature remotely from anywhere, even halfway across the world, using an app on your phone. The app gives access to all features.
This thermostat allows you to monitor and measure how much energy you use by compiling a log showing how much energy the different appliances around your home use. You can use this information to save more on energy.
- Frosted user interface
- Remotely controlled
- Records energy usage
- Home/away assist
- Easy to use and program
- Not compatible with Alexa
This smart thermostat may not be as sophisticated as others on the list, but it is reliable, fairly priced, and easy to use. It comes with everything necessary to get the job done.
- Frosted Display: Blends into the background and fits into any home. Heat pump is with auxiliary and emergency heat (O/B, AUX)
- Remote Control: Use the Nest app to change the temperature from anywhere – the beach, the office or your bed.
- Energy-Saving Features: Like the Nest Learning Thermostat, the Nest Thermostat E can help you save from day one.
- Home/Away Assist: Turns itself down after you leave, so you don’t waste energy heating or cooling an empty home.
- Energy History: Check the Nest app to see how much energy you use and why.
Ecobee Smart Thermostat
This smart thermostat by Ecobee goes above and beyond. Besides controlling temperature to the degree, this thermostat is also capable of streaming your favorite music, and more!
This smart thermostat gives you unlimited control over your home’s temperature. For starters, you can control it remotely via an app on your phone or using voice command through Alexa when connected to the WiFi. It is also programmable to automatically adjust your home’s temperature – for instance, by turning heating off when you are away. It also has smart sensors that automatically control and adjust heating and cooling in rooms that you don’t use often.
This smart thermostat is incredibly powerful. It has a powerful quad-core processor and supports dual-band WiFi. It can save up to 23% of your annual energy usage, which can easily translate into hundreds of dollars.
- Sleek design
- Incredibly powerful
- Compatible with Alexa
- Easy and quick installation
- Small screen
The Ecobee smart thermostat offers everything you need to maintain optimal temperatures. It is especially recommended for smart homes, but it will get the job done anywhere.
- REDESIGNED AND REENGINEERED: With a crisp glass finish, vivid touch display, powerful quad-core processor, dual-band Wi-Fi, and far-field voice, it’s a smart thermostat like no other.
- SMARTSENSORS: Includes a Smart Sensor to keep important rooms comfortable by adjusting your thermostat based on occupancy and temperature.
- ENERGY SAVINGS: By reducing wasted energy in your home, you could save up to 23% annually on your heating or cooling costs. * *Compared to a hold of 72°F
- ADVANCED COMFORT: With Alexa built-in and an intuitive mobile app, you can control your thermostat and home using your voice, phone, tablet, computer, Apple Watch, or whatever works best for you – it’s that easy.
- INSTALLATION: Easily install it yourself in 45 minutes or less with handy video walkthroughs and a step-by-step guide on the ecobee app.Bluetooth 5.0
Mysa Smart Thermostat
This smart thermostat makes regulating temperatures at home a breeze. It integrates the latest smart technology and is conveniently easy to use.
This smart thermostat is so smart that it works even with high and line voltage, and it is even capable of working with baseboard heaters. However, it does not work with low-voltage systems and boilers.
The thermostat comes with a powerful mobile app compatible with both Android and iOS devices, so there is no need for any extra hardware. It is also compatible with Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Home, and IFTTT, so your control is virtually unlimited. It also features a vacation mode that puts it to sleep where there are no occupants in the house.
- Easy and comprehensive remote control
- Vacation mode for energy saving
- Compatible with all voice command tech
- Works with high-voltage systems
- Doesn’t work with low-voltage systems
This smart thermostat is incredibly powerful, and it gives its users total control remotely. However, we suggest that you skip it if you work with low-voltage systems.
- High / Line Voltage Compatible: Works with Baseboard Heaters
- Does not work with furnaces, boilers or low voltage systems
- Android and iOS App, no Additional Hardware Needed
- Energy Usage Reports, Easy Scheduling, Vacation Mode
- Integrates with Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Apple HomeKit and IFTTT
Honeywell T9 Smart Thermostat
Few smart thermostats can measure up to the level of the Honeywell T9 smart thermostat. It comes with it all, ranging from remote control to smart learning capabilities.
This smart thermostat is all about precision. It comes with sensors that you can place in different rooms around the house to fine-tune and optimize temperatures. These sensors measure the room’s temperature as well as occupancy and automatically adjust temperatures to the optimal range. The sensors have a range of about 200 feet.
In addition to being programmable and remote-controlled, this smart thermostat is also capable of learning your preferences and adjusting itself automatically when temperatures go out of the optimal range. it is also capable of eliciting smart response and sending smart alerts.
- Smart learning capability
- Compatible with Alexa and Google Assist
- Long-range sensors
- Multi-room heating and cooling
- Smart, easy-to-use interface
- Energy usage reports
- Takes some time to learn
Smart thermostats do not get more sophisticated than this. If you are looking for the best of the best, you will find it with this thermostat from Honeywell.
- LIVE AND SLEEP SMARTER. Choose the temperature in a specific room, like the bedroom, to be exactly what you want it to be, to help get a better night’s sleep. Or let the Smart Room Sensors automatically detect which rooms people are in and focus comfort where it matters automatically.
- AMAZING SENSOR RANGE. The battery powered Smart Room Sensors utilize unique Honeywell Home technology to deliver an efficient signal up to 200 ft range. (Could be further depending on home construction)
- MULTI-ROOM FOCUS. Don’t be forced to choose one room over another, the T9 Smart Thermostat can handle multiple rooms to focus on (requires sensors).Voltage: 24v
- SAVE MONEY AND ENERGY. Adjust your thermostat from anywhere with your mobile device, or let your home automatically react to your schedule with Auto Home/Away Scheduling. Save even more with possible inclusion in energy saving schemes from your utility provider. (Subject to availability in area)
- SMART RESPONSE AND ALERTS. Intelligently learns your home’s heating and cooling patterns to deliver the right temperature at the right time, and sending you filter and temperature alerts.
Nest T3007ES Smart Thermostat
The Nest T3007ES gives home owners unprecedented control over the home heating and cooling. It is smart and capable of learning your heating and cooling needs and preferences.
This thermostat’s greatest capability is its ability to learn. It keeps a log of your heating and cooling preferences and automatically adjusts itself to just how you like it. It also measures temperatures around the house and automatically adjusts itself accordingly. The Nest T3007ES is also capable of automatically turning off when there is no one at home, hence saving you a pretty penny. As such, you don’t have to program it, although it is easy to do so.
This thermostat can be controlled and programmed remotely when connected to the internet via WiFi. It is also compatible with Alexa voice command technology.
- Smart learning capabilities
- Automatically adjusting
- Easily programmable
- Remotely controlled
- Compatible with Alexa
- Simple interface
This smart thermostat may not look as sleek as many others, but it packs next-level smart technology that makes it one of the best smart thermostats.
- Auto-Schedule: No more confusing programming. It learns the temperatures you like and programs itself.
- Wi-Fi Thermostat: Connect the Nest Thermostat to Wi-Fi to change the temperature from your phone, tablet or laptop. Works with 95% of 24-Volt heating and cooling systems, including gas, electric, forced air, heat pump, radiant, oil, hot water, solar and geothermal
- Energy Saving: You’ll see the Nest Leaf when you choose a temperature that saves energy. It guides you in the right direction.
- Smart Thermostat: Early-On Nest learns how your home warms up and keeps an eye on the weather to get you the temperature you want when you want it.
- Home/Away Assist: The Nest Thermostat automatically turns itself down when you’re away to avoid heating or cooling an empty home.
Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat
Here is another exceptional smart thermostat by Ecobee. The Ecobee4 smart thermostat utilizes the best technology from its predecessors for the best temperature regulation.
The Ecobee4 smart thermostat is designed to optimize temperatures around the whole house. It comes with room sensors that measure a room’s size, occupancy, and temperature. These sensors automatically adjust temperatures to provide heating and cooling where it is needed most.
This smart thermostat connects to the internet, which means that it can be controlled remotely via an app. It is also compatible with Alexa smart technology, so you can issue voice commands directly. It is also compatible with other Ecobee smart products and easy to install.
- Smart capabilities
- Programmable and remotely controlled
- Compatible with Alexa
- Easy and quick to install
- Subtle user interface
Ecobee is a leading maker of smart thermostats, and the Ecobee4 smart thermostat is one of its best. It is ideal for use in virtually any building.
- SAVE MONEY: Homeowners save up to 23% annually on heating or cooling costs, plus ecobee pays for itself in under 2 years (compared to a hold of 72 degrees).
- ROOM SENSORS: Place them in the rooms that matter the most and have the temperature balanced throughout your whole home. Measuring both occupancy and temperature, sensors signal your ecobee Smart Thermostat to automatically switch to the right mode for comfort when you’re home or for savings when you’re not. One Room Sensor included, 2-pack sold separately
- EASILY INSTALL YOURSELF: It only takes about 30 minutes, thanks to an easy to follow installation guide and an in-app step-by-step walkthrough. Everything you need comes in the box, including a Power Extender Kit for homes with no common wire (C-wire). Compatibility- Gas, oil, electric, dual fuel, Conventional (2H/2C), Heat Pump (4H/2C), Humidifier, Dehumidifier, Ventilator, HRV or ERV
- CONTROL FROM ANYWHERE: Easily adjust your thermostat from wherever you are using your iOS (iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch) or Android device. The ecobee mobile app is available in the App Store or on Google Play. Works with: Apple Homekit, Amazon Alexa, Samsung SmartThings, IFTTT and more.
- BUILT-IN ALEXA: Control your thermostat using your voice with built-in Alexa. Ask to play music, hear the news, set a timer, adjust the temperature, and so much more. Wifi connectivity is ieee 802.11 b/g/n at 2.4 GHz. Tip-make sure your HVAC panel is fully closed. Some systems will not turn on if the cover panel has not been closed properly.Voltage Type:Line Voltage
Honeywell T5 Smart Thermostat
The Honeywell T5 smart thermostat is a less sophisticated version of the Honeywell T9. It, nevertheless, comes with everything necessary to optimize temperatures around the home.
The greatest trademark of this smart thermostat is its flexibility. Like any other smart thermostat, this one is controllable using an app over the phone. It is also compatible with voice control technologies, including Alexa and Siri. Additionally, it features geo-fencing technology, which means that its usage can be limited to certain rooms or the whole house. It is also Energy Star Certified.
- Highly flexible
- Compatible with multiple voice control technologies
- Features adaptive recovery
- Features geo-fencing technology
- Energy star certified
- Cannot work without a C-Wire
This smart thermostat has a sleek interface that gives users full control of their homes’ heating and cooling. It is recommended for use in any building.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- Product requires C-Wire, unit will not work without it.
- Control your Smart Home with Amazon Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately) and Apple HomeKit with voice control using Siri, the Apple voice assistant
- 7-Day Flexible Scheduling or Location Based Temperature control (GeoFencing). Uses geofencing technology to keep track of your smart phone's location;Auto changeover: The Lyric T5 can be set to determine if the home's system should be in heating or cooling mode to provide maximum comfort
- Adaptive recovery learns how long it takes to achieve the right temperature at the right time and automatically runs your system to get to your desired temperature when you want it, with auto change from heat to cool
Lux Products Smart Thermostat
This smart thermostat from Lux works as smoothly as it looks. It has a unique user interface that can be installed vertically or horizontally, and it goes big on saving on energy.
The thermostat is also easy to install and comes with an Android and iOS app that gives you total control over it. It can also be controlled via voice command through Alexa.
This thermostat is enhanced to save energy. It works with three power options: lithium batteries, a micro-USB connection, and C-wire. The app also features geo-fencing, which puts the HVAC to rest when you are not home, thus saving on energy.
- Smart and sleek appearance
- Smart HVAC capabilities
- Geo-fencing for energy saving
- Three power options
- Alexa device sold separately
This smart thermostat s sleek and smart enough to meet all your heating and cooling needs. It is also great for energy-saving.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- Installs quickly like a standard thermostat. Unique horizontal or vertical mount capability.
- Easy set-up and programming directly from unit.
- Free iOS or Android App makes home comfort flexible & mobile.
- App features geofencing option with easy "away" and "back" settings for added savings and comfort.
Bosch BCC100 Smart Thermostat
The Bosch BCC100 smart thermostat will give you unlimited control over your home’s heating and cooling. It is sleek and utilizes the latest and best smart thermostat technology.
The Bosch BCC100 smart thermostat comes with a wide range of features. For starters, it is programmable, which means that you can automatically schedule your home’s heating and cooling cycles. You can program the thermostat to automatically switch off when you are out and switch back on just shortly before going back home.
This thermostat can also connect to Wi-Fi and access the internet – you can control the thermostat remotely via an app on your phone when connected to Wi-Fi, so you don’t have to get up and do it manually whenever you feel the need to adjust your home’s temperature. It is also compatible with Alexa for greater and easier control – this also makes it ideal for use in a smart home.
- Top-of-the-range thermostat technology
- Wi-Fi compatible
- Multi-use compatibility
- Sleek and wide touch-screen
- Compatible with Alexa
- Programmable and remotely controlled
- Not compatible with Bosch boiler controls
The Bosch BCC100 is one of the best smart thermostats. It is especially recommended for smart homes thanks to its smart controls.
- SAVE ENERGY AND MONEY: This Alexa-enabled, internet-connected programmable thermostat simply connects to Wi-Fi to control temperature and settings from your smart phone or tablet (fully functional without Wi-Fi as well)
- MODERN SLEEK TOUCH SCREEN: The full color, 5-inch display touchscreen allows easy scheduling to provide the most comfortable temperature for your home from anywhere
- MULTI-USE COMPATIBILITY: Including heat pump (4 Heat, 2 Cool) or conventional (2 Heat, 2 Cool) systems, any 1-wire internally powered humidifier or dehumidifier, and most 24 VAC HVAC equipment on the market. Not compatible with other Bosch Boiler controls, such as the Logamatic
- NEW COMMERCIAL UPDATES: Updates allow control of both evaporation and steam type external humidifier accessories. Plus, hot gas reheat and cool to dehumidify capabilities. Now Dual Fuel system compatible; may work with HVAC systems that use both gas and electric power (more information on updates in product description)
- C-WIRE REQUIRED: A C-wire (common wire) is required to power the unit. Two wire systems are not supported. The C-wire is used to provide power to the thermostat and is available on most HVAC systems today that have three or more wires. Third party aftermarket products exist for adding powering options in instances where a C-wire does not exist
Kono KN-S-MG Smart Thermostat
If simplicity is what you are looking for, then look no further than the Kono KN-S-MG smart thermostat. It excludes all the clutter of most smart thermostats and still gets the job done.
This smart thermostat is primarily built to regulate temperature. It doesn’t come with most of the smart capabilities of other smart thermostats in the list. However, it is compatible with all forms of heating and cooling, including oil and electric furnaces as well as gas and forced air. It also has powerful heat pumping systems that work with or without auxiliary and emergency heating.
- Efficient heating and cooling
- Compatible with all forms of heating
- Neat user interface
- Easy to use
- Poor smart capabilities
If you are on a budget and still need the convenience of a smart thermostat, we recommend the Kono KN-S-MG. it is simple and efficient.
- Is not available for iOS and Android products
- Does NOT work with Amazon Alexa and Apple home kit
- Powered by system (c-wire) or the included Lux power bridge
- Compatibility: forced air, gas, Oil & electric furnaces (up to 2H/1C)
- Heat pump systems (with or without AUX/emergency heat)
Smart Thermostat Buying Guide
These are just ten of the best smart thermostats. There are hundreds of more options to choose from. Every brand markets itself as the best, but you should judge whichever one is right for you by considering all the important factors. Here is a comprehensive smart thermostat buying guide:
The greatest convenience of a smart thermostat is remote control capability. You shouldn’t have to get up and control heating manually every time you feel that the temperatures are not optimal. Smart thermostats make this possible by bringing all control to an app on your phone. This way, you can control the thermostat remotely, every from halfway across the world.
Programming and Automatic Control
The smartest thermostats seem to have a mind of their own. They are capable of learning about your heating and cooling preferences. They also monitor your home’s room temperature and adjust it automatically. You never have to lift a finger when using these thermostats.
Smart thermostats should also be programmable. This means that you should be able to pre-set a heating and cooling pattern and leave the thermostat to adjust itself according to the pre-set instructions. You can also set alerts for temperature changes outside of a normal range – some thermostats may even work as a sort of smart smoke detector if your home temperature drastically increases.
Smart thermostats are mostly marketed as excellent energy savers since the HVAC system is a high-consumption appliance. Some claim to save over 20% of your usual energy bills, and that translates to a lot of money in the long run. As such, this should be one of the first factors to consider.
There are several ways in which smart thermostats save energy around the house. Some are designed to switch off when there are no occupants in the house and switch back on when you get back. Others are designed to localize the energy-saving to only the rooms that are in use. Some even go a step further and generate reports on your energy usage and even single out appliances that use the most energy.
Smart thermostats wouldn’t be smart if they could not connect to the internet. They need to connect to the WiFi to establish control via an app on your smart phone or via voice command. Interestingly, some smart thermostats have weak internet connectivity that limits your control over them. These smart thermostats may not be operable remotely if your WiFi connection is weak, which would then defeat the purpose of a smart thermostat.
Voice Control Command
What is better than controlling your thermostat via an app on your phone? Answer: issuing direct commands. This, however, is only possible if the thermostat is compatible with voice command tech such as Amazon’s Alexa. Most thermostats that are coming out today come integrated with this technology.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What makes a thermostat smart?
A: Smart thermostats are distinguished from conventional thermostats by their smart capabilities. For starters, they can be controlled remotely via an app on the phone or via voice command technology such as Alexa. They are also capable of adjusting temperatures remotely to get to an optimal level. Besides these features, different smart thermostats come with varying capabilities.
Q: How much can smart thermostats save me in energy bills?
A: How much you can save with a smart thermostat varies from one smart thermostat to another. It can range from as little as $20 to as much as $150 per year. However, no matter how little it is, every penny saved is great – and you’re lowering your energy usage as well, which is good for the environment.
Q: Do smart thermostats work with all types of HVAC systems?
A: Yes, most smart thermostats work with most of the common types of HVAC systems – most brands test for this before releasing them. However, it is still important to check for compatibility before checking out, as some sophisticated smart thermostats may not work with older HVAC systems. It would also help if the thermostat was easy to install to avoid complications now and in the future.
Smart thermostats are a great investment to not only enhance your home value and your life at home, but also to save money on heating and cooling bills! Pick from our top-rated smart thermostats to find the best options on the market.