Do you still use regular old keys to lock and unlock your door? Have you heard of keyless locks? They also go by the name smart locks.
Smart door locks are a better, sleeker, and more convenient version of conventional locks. They improve your home’s safety and grant you better control over your door. Some are pretty basic while others are quite sophisticated. We have singled out nine of the best smart locks based on a variety of factors. Here is a comprehensive overview.
Best Smart Door Locks
You don’t want to mess around when it comes to home security, so it’s vital that you invest in a good lock for your external doors. These smart locks will keep your home safely locked without the use of keys, and they can even be locked remotely in case you forgot. Check out our top picks and find the right lock for your home.
These are the Best Smart Locks for 2020:
- August Smart Lock + Connect WiFi Bridge
- Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt
- August Smart Lock Pro
- Yale Assure Smart Lock
- Nest x Yale Smart Lock
- August Smart Lock – Keyless Home Entry
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
- Yale Assure Lock SL – Key Free Smart Lock
- Lockly Keyless Entry Smart Lock
August Smart Lock + Connect WiFi Bridge
This lock is customizable, so you can add a camera, microphone, and keypad for greater security. It opens via your smartphone app, but it includes a WiFi bridge so it’s easy to connect other devices.
- Lock and unlock your door, grant keyless access and keep track of who comes and goes, all from the August app, from anywhere
- August Connect Wi Fi Bridge included so you get voice integration and remote access right out of the box
- Keep your existing lock and keys. Simply attaches to your existing deadbolt on the inside of your door. Install in under 10 minutes with just a screwdriver
- Only August has Door Sense, a sensor that tells you if your door is securely closed or left opened
- Unlocks automatically as you arrive. Never fumble for keys, shopping, bags or kids when unlocking the door agaInches auto lock can be timed to lock as the door closes
Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt
If reinforced security is what you are looking for, this is the lock for your needs. It is easy to use and comes equipped with top-range security technology. It can be unlocked via an app, voice control, or manually.
- Smart lock with Built-in Wi-Fi allows you to lock/unlock from anywhere - no additional accessories required. Pair with the Schlage home app or Key by Amazon app to create and manage up to 100 access codes for trusted friends and family for recurring, temporary or permanent access
- WORKS WITH ALEXA: Check the status of your lock and lock / unlock your door. In addition, Alexa will let you know when your battery is running low or set-up smart reorders through Amazon Dash Replenishment so you always have replacement batteries when needed.
- Fingerprint-resistant, capacitive touchscreen with easy one-touch locking. Optional voice control offers hands-free convenience when using voice-enabled products
- Built-in alarm technology senses potential security breaches at the lock, while the low battery indicator offers advanced warning for battery replacement
- Easy to install with just a screwdriver. Unique snap ‘n stay technology snaps the deadbolt onto the door so both hands are free during installation
August Smart Lock Pro
This option has it all: sleek looks and all the latest tech. You can lock and unlock it remotely, and it locks and unlocks automatically when you enter or leave your house. It offers 24/7 monitoring and notifications.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately). Wireless requirements-2.4GHertz Wi-Fi network. Connect Wi-Fi Bridge included.
- Control and monitor your door from anywhere. Lock and unlock your door, control, keyless access and keep track of who comes and goes, all from your phone. Alexa can also provide notifications when your battery is running low so you can proactively replace them. Set up smart reorders through dash replenishment to make sure you always have replacement batteries when you need them.
- Be sure you’re secure with DoorSense. Only August has DoorSense to tell you if your door is securely closed and locked. Holding force: 600 pounds
- Always know who is coming and going. Track activity at your doorstep with a 24/7 activity feed
- Keep your existing lock and keys. Easily attaches to your existing deadbolt; Use your existing keys at any time. Requires 110 to 240 volts
Yale Assure Smart Lock
Security and convenience are guaranteed with this option. It can be controlled remotely from anywhere, it’s compatible with all major voice control technology, and its easy to install.
- Lose your keys, for good: Hands full? Have your door unlock for you with Auto-Unlock. Or unlock using the keypad, or Yale Access app on your smartphone or Apple Watch. Enjoy key-free access and leave the bulky keychain behind.
- Expand your smart home: Connect your lock to your favorite voice assistant or smart home system. Works with Amazon Alexa, Hey Google, Airbnb, Philips Hue, Apple HomeKit, and more. Includes the Wi-Fi Connect Bridge so there’s no additional hub needed.
- Auto-Locks and Unlocks: Your Assure Lock will Auto-Unlock as you get home for totally hands-free unlocking. With Auto-Lock and DoorSense, your home automatically secures once your door is closed, or after a set amount of time.
- Easy to install on any door: Not so handy? Not a problem. Yale Assure locks are super easy to install and are guaranteed to fit standard doors (doors 1-¾” to 2-¼” thick. Doors under 1-⅜” require thin door kit).
- Digital keys are the new hide-a-key. Quickly and easily share permanent, temporary or scheduled access with friends, family, and people you trust, and never hide a key under the doormat again.
Nest x Yale Smart Lock
This lock utilizes more than one security feature to guarantee your home’s security. It is easy to use and ideal for all uses, but you will have to replace your current lock. It also monitors all activity, so you will know if anyone tampers with the door. You can track different access codes to see who comes and goes.
- Secure and Tamper Proof: Replaces the deadbolt you already have. If someone tries to tamper with it, you'll get an alert. If the batteries start running low, you'll know right away. And if your lock loses power, you can quickly charge it with a 9V battery to unlock the door.
- Let Someone In From Anywhere: Unlock your door from your Nest app. Create passcodes for family, guests and people you trust. Get alerts whenever someone unlocks and locks the door. And when Nest knows you’re away, your door can lock automatically.
- Works with Google Assistant: Check the status of your door and lock it from anywhere hands‑free with the Google Assistant. You can also enter a passcode, use one‑touch locking, or lock it from the Nest app.
- Touchscreen Keypad: No phone. No problem. Unlock your Nest x Yale Lock by entering your passcode on the touchscreen keypad. Create passcodes for people you trust.
August Smart Lock Keyless Home Entry
This uses patented security technology, which makes locking and unlocking your door a breeze. Door Sense technology tells you whether or not the door is fully locked. You can lock and unlock the door from anywhere and even send keys to guests. You can also time when the door locks and unlocks – ranging from a few hours to several weeks – for when you expect guests.
- Add an August Connect Wi-Fi Bridge (sold separately) to remotely lock/unlock and monitor your door as well to integrate with Alexa, Google Assistant, Airbnb, Home Away Simplisafe and others.
- Secure, keyless entry for your smart home. Lock and unlock your door, control, keyless access and keep track of who comes and goes, all from your phone. Works with your existing single-cylinder deadbolt
- Keep your existing lock and keys. Easily attaches to your existing deadbolt, so everyone can still use their keys.
- Send guest keys from anywhere instantly—all from the August app.
- Control access for anyone. Grant access for a few weeks, a few hours, a few minutes. It’s up to you.
Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
The Schlage lock is the way to go if you are looking for simplicity and still worried about reinforced security. It has a keypad to open and a standard manual lock for contingencies. You can create as many codes as you wish for other users, and you can change them periodically for enhanced security.
- Hands-free voice control requires Schlage Sense Wi-Fi Adapter and Alexa device (sold individually)
- Free iOS and android smartphone app lets you manage codes, set schedules and view usage history
- Lock and unlock from anywhere by pairing with the Schlage Sense Wi-Fi adapter (sold separately)
- Pair with Apple HomeKit devices to use with iOS and Siri voice control only
- Secure encryption. Door thickness range: 1 3/8 inch to 1 3/4 inch; thick door kit extends 1 7/8 inch to 2 1/4 inch. Keying: 5-pin tumbler, C keyway with 1 key
Yale Assure Lock SL – Key Free Smart Lock
This option is simple and effective, with an easy interface and Siri voice command. It offers automatic locking and unlocking when it senses your smartphone in range, or you can set up a 4-digit or 8-digit passcode for added security.
- Lock and unlock your door by asking Siri or with the Apple home app, when you're at home
- Access from anywhere when you have an Apple TV (4TH GEN or later) near your front door
- Create daily schedules to ensure your door is locked at the same time each day. Adjustable latch
- Fits on standard doors 1 3/8 inch to 2 1/4 inch thick with 2 1/8 inch face bore hole
- Enter your 4 8 digit pin code on the backlit touchscreen keypad to unlock. Create unique pin codes for friends and family within the yale secure app
Lockly Keyless Entry Smart Lock
There are two ways to unlock the door with this lock: via an app on the phone, and via the in-built keypad. The access code changes after every entry thanks to the brand’s peek-proof technology, so no one can steal it. What’s more, every family member can get their own unique access code, and the head of the house gets two physical backup keys in case the digital keys fail.
- KEYLESS ENTRY AND CONVIENCE: Lock and unlock your door with one finger tap on your smartphones via Bluetooth or by entering a 6-8 digit access code on the touchscreen keypad. This door lock also comes with 2 backup physical keys in case you ever need. Secured keyless access convenience for your offices, home or rental properties.
- HIGHLY-SECURE SMART LOCK: The world's first Patented peek-proof smart door lock. The unique algorithm reshuffles numbers after each use and prevents others from copying your smart code, keeping your home safe. Touchscreen keypad will be disabled after 3 wrong attempts and can only be activated by entering the right code twice. Auto-lock, one-touch locking and Audible Alarm System provide enhanced security when you are at home or out.
- FAMILY SHARING WITH EKEYS: Each family member could get their own smart code for keyless entry. PIN Genie is designed to make home security a top priority and to give you peace of mind. Track as soon as your kids or family members are home. Grant access to guests and others by sharing e-Keys with unique schedules using the FREE PIN Genie Smart Lock app.
- CONTROL ACCESS AND MONITORING: Works on both iOS and Android devices. This security lock will track unlock history by each user 24/7 and stores in the app for your review. Push notifications will be sent to you once your friends/guests check-in. Now, you’ll know exactly who and when people are entering your business or properties. While using the virtual keys, there is no need for you to asking back the physical keys from guests or renters.
- EMERGENCY POWER SUPPLY AND DIY INSTALLATION: You can open your front door with a 9V battery on the instant battery charging terminal if you forget to replace the dead batteries. Note: The latch has adjustable backset 2 3⁄8” or 2 3⁄4” to fit most standard doors. (Please check your door measurements prior to purchase this smart deadbolt). You can find the installation manual, user manual and specification sheet under Technical Specification section for additional information.
Final Thoughts on Keyless Smart Locks
Smart locks make it easy to monitor your home security remotely, and ease the burden of carrying and potentially losing keys. While there is some debate about the safety of smart locks against cyber attacks, they are generally safe and innovative technology. Choose from our list of the best smart locks and you are sure to find a great fit for your home!
Last update on 2021-07-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API