Do you still use regular old keys to lock and unlock your door? Have you heard of keyless locks? They also go by the name smart locks.
Smart door locks are a better, sleeker, and more convenient version of conventional locks. They improve your home’s safety and grant you better control over your door. Some are pretty basic while others are quite sophisticated. We have singled out nine of the best smart locks based on a variety of factors. Here is a comprehensive overview.
Best Smart Door Locks
You don’t want to mess around when it comes to home security, so it’s vital that you invest in a good lock for your external doors. These smart locks will keep your home safely locked without the use of keys, and they can even be locked remotely in case you forgot. Check out our top picks and find the right lock for your home.
These are the Best Smart Locks for 2020:
- August Smart Lock + Connect WiFi Bridge
- Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt
- August Smart Lock Pro
- Yale Assure Smart Lock
- Nest x Yale Smart Lock
- August Smart Lock – Keyless Home Entry
- Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
- Yale Assure Lock SL – Key Free Smart Lock
- Lockly Keyless Entry Smart Lock
August Smart Lock + Connect WiFi Bridge
This lock is customizable, so you can add a camera, microphone, and keypad for greater security. It opens via your smartphone app, but it includes a WiFi bridge so it’s easy to connect other devices.
- YOUR LOCK, ONLY SMARTER: August Smart Locks replace the thumbturn on the inside of your door, making your existing deadbolt smarter, more secure and way more convenient. Keep your keys just in case (but you won’t need them).Connectivity Protocol:wi-fi.Note: Measure your door's backset, cross bore and thickness to ensure you find the right fit.Note: Measure your door's backset, cross bore and thickness to ensure you find the right fit.
- GET IN WITH THE AUGUST APP: No pockets. No problem. Lock and unlock your door with the August app on your smartphone or Apple Watch, so you can leave your keys behind.
- SHARE VIRTUAL KEYS: Forget the key-copying kiosk. Give your best friend, the dogwalker and housekeeper their own unique codes that work all the time, or on set schedules. Know exactly who came, and when, with realtime notifications and the app’s live activity feed.
- TOTALLY HANDS-FREE: Auto-Unlocks as you get home -- no need to fish your phone or your keys out of your bag. With Auto-Lock and DoorSense, it automatically locks once your door is closed, or after a set amount of time (optional features).
- WORKS SEAMLESSLY WITH YOUR SMART HOME: Included August Wi-Fi Connect allows your lock to work with your favorite smart home system, including Amazon Alexa, Hey Google, Samsung SmartThings, Philips Hue and more.
Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt
If reinforced security is what you are looking for, this is the lock for your needs. It is easy to use and comes equipped with top-range security technology. It can be unlocked via an app, voice control, or manually.
- Note: Measure your door's backset, cross bore and thickness to ensure you find the right fit
August Smart Lock Pro
This option has it all: sleek looks and all the latest tech. You can lock and unlock it remotely, and it locks and unlocks automatically when you enter or leave your house. It offers 24/7 monitoring and notifications.
- Control and monitor your door from anywhere.
- Always know who is coming and going.
- Keep your existing lock and keys.
- Features Auto-Lock and Auto-Unlock.
Yale Assure Smart Lock
Security and convenience are guaranteed with this option. It can be controlled remotely from anywhere, it’s compatible with all major voice control technology, and its easy to install.
- Lose your keys, for good: Hands full, Have your door unlock for you with Auto-Unlock. Or unlock using the keypad, or Yale Access app on your smartphone or Apple Watch. Enjoy key-free access and leave the bulky keychain behind..Note: Measure your door's backset, cross bore and thickness to ensure you find the right fit.Note: Measure your door's backset, cross bore and thickness to ensure you find the right fit.
- Expand your smart home: Connect your lock to your favorite voice assistant or smart home system. Works with Amazon Alexa, Hey Google, Airbnb, Philips Hue, Apple HomeKit, and more. Includes the Wi-Fi Connect Bridge so there’s no additional hub needed, Deadbolt Type: Single Cylinder Deadbolt
- Auto-Locks and Unlocks: Your Assure Lock will Auto-Unlock as you get home for totally hands-free unlocking. With Auto-Lock and DoorSense, your home automatically secures once your door is closed, or after a set amount of time.
- Digital keys are the new hide-a-key. Quickly and easily share permanent, temporary or scheduled access with friends, family, and people you trust, and never hide a key under the doormat again. Backset-2 3/8 or 2 3/4 inches
Nest x Yale Smart Lock
This lock utilizes more than one security feature to guarantee your home’s security. It is easy to use and ideal for all uses, but you will have to replace your current lock. It also monitors all activity, so you will know if anyone tampers with the door. You can track different access codes to see who comes and goes.
- Secure smart lock for your front door; replaces the deadbolt lock you already have.Note: Measure your door's backset, cross bore and thickness to ensure you find the right fit
- Keyless entry on the LED keypad so you can lock and unlock your front door without a key; keypad chimes play sounds to confirm responses, such as locking, unlocking, or turning Privacy Mode on or off
- Let someone in from anywhere; unlock the door with your phone for easy guest access
- Give unique passcode to family and guests and set a schedule to control when they work; when you don’t want to be disturbed, Privacy Mode disables the keypad so it can’t be unlocked with a passcode
- Get alerts when someone locks or unlocks the door or tries to tamper with your smart door lock
August Smart Lock Keyless Home Entry
This uses patented security technology, which makes locking and unlocking your door a breeze. Door Sense technology tells you whether or not the door is fully locked. You can lock and unlock the door from anywhere and even send keys to guests. You can also time when the door locks and unlocks – ranging from a few hours to several weeks – for when you expect guests.
- YOUR LOCK ON THE OUTSIDE, A SMART LOCK ON THE INSIDE: August smart locks replace the thumbturn on the inside of your door, making your regular deadbolt smarter, more secure and way more convenient. Keep the outside of your door the same, and your keys just in case (but you won’t need them).
- GET IN AND OUT WITH THE AUGUST APP: No pockets? No problem. Lock and unlock your door with the August app on your phone or Apple Watch, and leave your house keys behind.
- AUTO-LOCKS AND UNLOCKS: Auto-Unlocks as you get home for totally hands-free unlocking -- great for when your arms are carrying kids or groceries. With Auto-Lock and DoorSense, your home automatically secures once your door is closed, or after a set amount of time (optional feature).
- EASY TO INSTALL ON ANY DOOR: Even if you’re not so handy, installation only takes about 10 minutes. August locks fit perfectly on most single cylinder deadbolts.
- RENTER-FRIENDLY: Renting your place? Home improvement isn’t just for homeowners. Modernize your apartment’s lock and then take it with you when you move -- the old deadbolt thumbturn can be easily reinstalled.
Schlage Sense Smart Deadbolt
The Schlage lock is the way to go if you are looking for simplicity and still worried about reinforced security. It has a keypad to open and a standard manual lock for contingencies. You can create as many codes as you wish for other users, and you can change them periodically for enhanced security.
- Hands-free voice control requires Schlage Sense Wi-Fi Adapter and Alexa device (sold individually)
- Free iOS and android smartphone app lets you manage codes, set schedules and view usage history
- Lock and unlock from anywhere by pairing with the Schlage Sense Wi-Fi adapter (sold separately)
- Pair with Apple HomeKit devices to use with iOS and Siri voice control only
- Secure encryption. Door thickness range: 1 3/8 inch to 1 3/4 inch; thick door kit extends 1 7/8 inch to 2 1/4 inch. Keying: 5-pin tumbler, C keyway with 1 key
Yale Assure Lock SL – Key Free Smart Lock
This option is simple and effective, with an easy interface and Siri voice command. It offers automatic locking and unlocking when it senses your smartphone in range, or you can set up a 4-digit or 8-digit passcode for added security.
- Lock and unlock your door by asking Siri or with the Apple home app, when you're at home
- Access from anywhere when you have an Apple TV (4TH GEN or later) near your front door
- Create daily schedules to ensure your door is locked at the same time each day. Adjustable latch
- Fits on standard doors 1 3/8 inch to 2 1/4 inch thick with 2 1/8 inch face bore hole
- Enter your 4 8 digit pin code on the backlit touchscreen keypad to unlock. Create unique pin codes for friends and family within the yale secure app
Lockly Keyless Entry Smart Lock
There are two ways to unlock the door with this lock: via an app on the phone, and via the in-built keypad. The access code changes after every entry thanks to the brand’s peek-proof technology, so no one can steal it. What’s more, every family member can get their own unique access code, and the head of the house gets two physical backup keys in case the digital keys fail.
Final Thoughts on Keyless Smart Locks
Smart locks make it easy to monitor your home security remotely, and ease the burden of carrying and potentially losing keys. While there is some debate about the safety of smart locks against cyber attacks, they are generally safe and innovative technology. Choose from our list of the best smart locks and you are sure to find a great fit for your home!
Last update on 2023-03-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API