If you’re constantly in and out of your home, chances are you’ve asked yourself “Did I close the garage door on my way out?” at least once before.
What if there was a device that let you close, open, and monitor your garage door remotely?
That’s where smart garage door openers can help you out. There are a variety of similar products on the market, so we’ve written these 9 garage door opener reviews to help you make an informed decision. Plus, we’ve included a buying guide towards the end to help further simplify your decision.
- 1 Best WiFi Garage Door Opener
- 2 Automatic Garage Door Opener Reviews
- 2.1 GarageMate
- 2.2 Tailwind iQ3 Smart WiFi Garage Door Opener
- 2.3 Chamberlain myQ Smart Garage Door Opener
- 2.4 NEXX Garage NXG-100b Smart WiFi Garage Opener
- 2.5 Genie Aladdin Connect – Smart Garage Door Opener
- 2.6 Garadget WiFi Smart Garage Door Controller
- 2.7 EACHEN WiFi Smart Home Garage Door Opener
- 2.8 Alcidae Garager 2
- 2.9 Asante Smart Garage Door Opener
- 3 What’s the Right Smart Garage Door Opener for Me? – Buyers Guide
- 4 Final Thoughts
Best WiFi Garage Door Opener
Check out the top-rated smart garage openers so that you can control your garage door remotely. Our top picks were chosen for ease of use, security, and other useful features.
These are the Top 9 Smart Garage Openers:
- Tailwind iQ3 Smart WiFi Garage Door Opener
- Chamberlain MyQ Smart Garage Door Opener
- NEXX Garage NXG-100b Smart WiFi Garage Opener
- Genie Aladdin Connect – Smart Garage Door Opener
- Garadget WiFi Smart Garage Door Controller
- EACHEN WiFi Smart Home Garage Door Opener
- Alcidae Garager 2
- Asante Smart Garage Door Opener
The GarageMate is compatible with almost all garage door openers. To ensure quality, this product is designed, assembled, tested, and packaged in the United States. It’s built with durability in mind. It can withstand temperatures of up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
To offer excellent security and range, you can connect this product to Bluetooth 4.0. You’ll never need any batteries, as it’s powered by an outlet plug.
It comes with clear installation instructions. The setup process is simple. Most users can get it up and running within two minutes or less.
Allow your whole family to have access when they need it. You can securely pair this product with up to 8 phones.
If your garage door opener is a Liftmaster, Craftsman, or Chamberlain that was constructed before 2011 and has a yellow button, this product will not work with the GarageMate. The company makes this very clear and offers further details about compatibility for users who are unsure if this is the right product for them.
- Pairs up to 8 phones
- Uses Bluetooth 4.0
- CEC Level 6 energy rating
- Assembled and tested in the U.S.
- No charges or subscription fees for the garage door opener app
- Works well in extreme temperatures
- Energy efficient
- Simple setup
- May not be compatible with Liftmaster, Craftsman, or Chamberlain products made before 2011
The GarageMate is fairly-priced and super easy to install. Check out the current price of the GarageMate on Amazon.
- Bluetooth 4.0 for easiest setup and compatible with nearly all garage door openers. Note, if your Craftsman, Chamberlain, or Liftmaster was made after 2011, check if it has a yellow learn-button. If the button is yellow then it will NOT work with GarageMate. But if it is any other color (e.g., red, blue, purple, green, orange, black, gray, etc.) then it will work fine with GarageMate.. See product images and description below for additional compatibility details.
- The GarageMate receiver installs in 2 minutes. Compatible with nearly all garage door openers. Please visit our compatibility page https://bluemate.com or message us if your garage door opener was made after 2011 as some Liftmaster/Chamberlains/Craftsman made after 2011 are not compatible. Designed, final assembly, tested, and packaged in the USA. Trusted in thousands of homes worldwide for over 5 years.
- Use Siri or OK Google to voice launch our App and automatically open the door. The Activity Log lets you monitor who opened your garage for added security. Securely pair up to 8 phones. Never needs batteries. App is always free and will never have subscription fees.. Note, if you have more than one garage you will need one GarageMate receiver for each garage but the same App can control all garages.
- Uses Bluetooth4.0 (not Wifi and not Internet connected) for excellent range and security. This eliminates Internet security risks and makes setup easy, but it also means GarageMate can not control your garage when you a home and you can not check if your garage is opened or closed. Many of our customers use a low cost webcam with motion sensor alerts as a camera is the most reliable way to check the status of your garage door.
- Works even in extreme temperatures from -40 degrees F to 140 degrees F. Uses 3 cents (yes pennies) of electricity per year and has the highest energy efficiency rating (CEC Level 6).
Tailwind iQ3 Smart WiFi Garage Door Opener
The Tailwind iQ3 works well with most garage door openers. However, those with the yellow “Learn” button and a few others may need additional wiring to work properly. Tailwind’s website outlines which garage door openers need additional work before they can function with this product, so do check before buying.
Despite this, don’t worry about having the right technology. This product works with Alexa, Siri, and Google Home, so you can use what you already have on hand.
With this smart WiFi product, you can close and open your garage door and receive alerts about who’s accessing your home at any time. Users who travel frequently for work will especially benefit from this product, as they can check the status of their garage door whenever they need to.
If you want to grant other people access to your garage door, this product lets you grant it completely or partially. Choose when specific visitors can access your home, based on the specific date or time.
If you want some peace of mind at nighttime, this product comes with a unique “Night” mode. This feature ensures your garage door is kept closed throughout the night.
- Compatible with Alexa, Siri, and Google Home
- “Night” mode feature
- Android and iOS compatible
- Ability to grant visitors one-time access
- Can integrate it with smart home assistants like Alexa and Google Home
- Can add up to 3 doors (with additional kits sold separately)
- Requires Wi-Fi in your garage
- Not compatible with some garage door openers
The Tailwind iQ3 is a more advanced garage door opener available for a great deal.
- Compatible with most garage door openers. Some require additional wiring, especially if they have a yellow "Learn" button. Please visit https://gotailwind.com to check compatibility with your opener before ordering, or email [email protected] Requires WiFi in your garage.
- Never leave your garage door open again. Patent pending technology senses which car you're driving and closes the door automatically when you leave (if you forget to do it yourself) - may require optional vehicle sensor. Please read the description details.
- Superior peace of mind. Unique security "Night Mode" makes sure your garage door is closed all night long. Grant guest users restricted or full-time access based on date and time.
- Open, close, check the door status, and receive alerts anywhere in the world using your smart device and the Tailwind iOS or Android app. Works with Google Home, Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Siri Shortcuts, and IFTTT.
- Patent pending technology recognizes your vehicle's Bluetooth ID or the Tailwind vehicle sensor (sold separately or in other kits) so the garage door opens automatically when you arrive in your vehicle and will close if you leave and forget to close it (iPhone users or vehicles without Bluetooth must use a vehicle sensor). Please check our other listings for kits that include a vehicle sensor. Your smartphone must be with you in your vehicle.
Chamberlain myQ Smart Garage Door Opener
The Chamberlain myQ is a smart garage door opener meant for nearly all homes. It’s compatible with all major garage door openers built after 1993. The installation process is simple to follow.
This wireless garage door opener operates with the myQ app, which is available at no charge. Whether you’re around the block or in another state, you can open and close your door with this smartphone app. Receive real-time notifications that indicate if your garage door is closed or has been left open.
If you want something to revolutionize how your packages are delivered, this product is worth considering. Amazon Prime members in select areas can choose to have their packages delivered in their garage. All you have to do is link your myQ account to the Amazon Key App. This safe delivery of your packages diminishes risk factors like theft and weather damage.
- You and 3 other people can have access to your door with the myQ app
- Ability to link with the Amazon Key App
- Compatible with older homes
- Allows for safe in-garage deliveries
- Links with other products like IFTTT, Google Assistant, and Wink
- There’s a subscription fee to use this product with Google Home or IFTTT
The Chamberlain MyQ is reliable, durable, and cheaply-priced. For a truly universal garage door opener, check out the Chamberlain MyQ.
- NEW! FREE IN GARAGE DELIVERY WITH KEY BY AMAZON Prime members in select areas can opt in with the myQ Smart Garage Hub to get Amazon packages securely delivered right inside their garage, Simply link your myQ account in the Key App
- SMART GARAGE CONTROL Open and close your garage door from anywhere with your smartphone through the myQ App
- SMART NOTIFICATIONS Receive alerts when your garage door opens or closes in real time by setting up customized notifications great for busy families who come and go from the house through the garage
- UNIVERSAL – Easy-to-add functionality to upgrade your existing garage door opener. Works with all major brands of garage door openers made after 1993 that have standard safety sensors
- REQUIREMENTS needed to start - a router with 2.4 gigahertz Wi-Fi frequency, router with 802.11 B/G/N, a router within 50 feet. of the MyQ Smart Garage Hub (more details in PDF user manual)
NEXX Garage NXG-100b Smart WiFi Garage Opener
The NEXX Garage Door Opener lets you turn your garage door opener and Wi-Fi network into one device. Keep an eye on and control it from anywhere in the world.
With this product, there are several ways to activate your door:
- From the NEXX app
- Give commands to Google Assistant or Alexa devices
- Automate with SmartThings
- Drive near your home
We love how you can open your garage door just by driving up to your home. With this product, there’s no more fumbling around for your phone or a button to get inside after a long day.
- Sleek black design
- Security encryption
- Real-time notifications
- Ability to track who opened your garage door and when it was opened
- Offers reminders to close your garage if it’s left open
- Grant access to multiple users
- All existing garage door remotes will work
- 1 NEXX device will only control 1 garage door
- Setup can be a little tricky
- Users report that the app takes up a lot of space on their phones
The NEXX Garage Door Opener is a higher-end product that’s worth the investment.
- CHECK COMPATIBILITY BEFORE YOU BUY: Nexx Garage is compatible with most garage door openers but, before you buy, check compatibility on Nexx website or test following the instructions in the image gallery. 2. 4 GHZ Wi-Fi connection is required.
- CONVENIENTLY OPEN AND CLOSE your garage door by turning your existing Wi-Fi network and garage door opener into a single integrated smart device that you can control and monitor from anywhere.
- ACTIVATE YOUR GARAGE DOOR OPENER BY TAPPING on the Nexx Home app, or by giving voice commands to your Alexa or Google Assistant devices, automate with SmartThings, or by driving near your garage door.
- MULTI-USER ACCESS & REMOTE MONITORING. You can authorize multiple people to access your garage, you can open and close the door if a guest arrives and you're away, and you can receive notifications if you forget to close the door.
- BEST IN CLASS SECURITY ENCRYPTION: reliable and secure with real-time activity logging; and only one controller per garage door opener, you can easily monitor activity.
Genie Aladdin Connect – Smart Garage Door Opener
The Genie Aladdin Connect is a great product for those who want advanced safety features. The accompanying smartphone app tells you when your garage door was opened. It can even tell you if it was opened manually, which is great for monitoring any unexpected visitors.
By purchasing additional sensors, you can control up to 3 doors at a time. This is great for larger homes with multiple access points.
It’s compatible with brands like Chamberlain, LiftMaster, Craftsmen, Linear, and Stanley.
With this product, you no longer have to provide temporary passwords to repair or delivery persons. These types of visitors can notify you when they arrive and you can grant them access from your smartphone.
- Compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa
- Works with iOS and Android devices
- Can program it to automatically close at a specific time every day or after a set time frame
- Control up to 3 garage doors
- Ability to set up virtual keys for relatives, neighbors, and friends
- Great price
- Keeps a record of activity
- Requires batteries but are not included
- WIFI ENABLED GARAGE DOOR: The Aladdin Connect garage door controller gives you the ability to monitor, open and close your garage door with your smartphone or smart device from anywhere. Also compatible with Amazon Alexa, & Google Assistant.
- GET THE SMART SECURITY ADVANTAGE: Using a sensor attached to the garage door, Aladdin Connect monitors the garage door’s position, allowing you to be alerted when the door opens or closes – electronically or manually.
- CONTROL UP TO 3 GARAGE DOORS: One door position sensor comes standard in this smartphone controller kit – but you can monitor up to 3 garage doors with additional door position sensors sold separately.
- AUTOMATE DOOR CLOSE TIMES & CREATE VIRTUAL KEYS: Aladdin Connect lets you schedule times to close your garage door as well as close the door after a certain length of time. You can also set up virtual keys for friends, neighbors and relatives!
Garadget WiFi Smart Garage Door Controller
This product from Garadget is a little pricier than some other ones on this list, but it’s well worth the investment! This gadget lets you control and monitor your garage doors from your smartphone, home automation system, web browser, and other devices.
The setup process is easy to follow and doesn’t require professional help. It has an innovative laser sensor, so there are no long wires or batteries involved. The package comes with all of the supplies you’ll need. This garage opener should be up and running within 30 minutes.
The Garadget notifies you when your door has been open for too long, when it opens at an unusual time, or when you forget to close it upon departure.
- Proactive push notifications sent to Android and iOS smartphones
- Integrate with other products (like Home Seer, OpenHab, Vera, and SmartThings) for free of charge
- Comes with everything you need to complete the setup process
- Trusted security encryption
- Works well with other software
- Garage door openers with the yellow Learn button require complicated workarounds to be compatible with this product
For a versatile smart garage door opener, the Garadget is available at a reasonable price.
- CONVENIENCE: Remotely control and monitor your garage doors from your iOS, Android smartphone, web browser, popular home automation systems and other devices. Multiple units can be controller from within a single account. The account can be accessed from multiple devices.
- PEACE OF MIND: Receive notification when you forgot to close the garage door on departure, or when it remained open for too long or when it opens at an unusual time. Check the door status from anywhere anytime and see the time since the last event. Other automation such as opening on approach configured via free IFTTT channel.
- COMPATIBILITY: Garadget can be easily added to most of the existing and new garage door installations with few exceptions that require a workaround (notably Security+ 2.0 openers with yellow "learn" button). Additionally to smart phones, tables and computers, Garadget can be controlled from the growing list of home automation systems, voice control systems, wearables and integration services (SmartThings, Home Assistant, Vera, Home Seer, OpenHab, Androidwear, Pebble, Alexa/Echo, MQTT, IFTTT).
- SIMPLE INSTALL: With its innovative laser sensor, Garadget installs in minutes: no long wiring, no intricate mechanical builds. Tools and materials are provided in the kit. The support resources include illustrated setup instructions, videos, troubleshooting guide and a friendly responsive online community.
- SECURITY AND TRUST: To ensure the security of the largest door in your house, Garadget relies on the advanced encryption and authentication protocols similar to that used for banking transactions. System’s open-source facilitates independent audit and consumer trust.
EACHEN WiFi Smart Home Garage Door Opener
This Wi-Fi garage door opener is super cheap and works well. It lets you turn your door opener and Wi-Fi network into a single integrated smart device.
You can close or shut your door by using the EweLink smartphone app. You can also activate it by using voice-commanded devices or driving up to your home.
This product uses unparalleled in-class security encryption. It logs all activity as it occurs, so you’ll always know what’s going on at home. Rest assured knowing that no unauthorized individuals will have access to your home.
- Comes with a connection cable, USB cable, and a set of mounting accessories
- The accompanying app, EweLink, is very user-friendly
- Pairs to Wi-Fi network easily
- One controller per garage door
- Some users have experienced installation issues (loose connectors and small gauge relay wires)
This EACHEN product makes for an affordable option, though it may not be work for those who’ve never installed a smart garage door opener before. If you’re able to work around some of this product’s installation kinks, it’s a great affordable option.
- Conveniently open & close your garage door by turning your existing Wi-Fi network and garage door opener into an single integrated smart device that you can control and monitor from around the World. NOTE: When the garage door opens automatically, please check to see if there is a timing function. If you don't need this feature, turn off loop timer!!!
- Activate your garage door opener either through simply tapping on the EweLink mobile app, or by giving voice commands to your Alexa or Google assistant enabled devices, or by driving near your garage door
- Multi-user access & remote monitoring; authorize multiple people to access your garage, open/close door when a guest arrives & you're away; receive notifications If you forget to close door
- Requires 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connection. Quick & easy installation without the need of a professional; compatible with almost all garage door Openers (check site for compatible Openers)
- Unparallel best in class security encryption; reliable & secure with real-time activity logging; note: one controller per garage door opener. Wide Compatibility: Compatible with most brand garage door openers. Find a checking list on www.eachen.cc.
Alcidae Garager 2
The Alcidae Garager 2 doubles as a universal garage door opener remote and a surveillance system.
It offers round-the-clock security, the camera includes night vision. You can capture any suspicious night-time activity to deter break-ins and property damage.
This product is controlled with the Alcidae app, which is easy to operate.
You’ll receive alerts when any type of sound or motion is detected. This Alcidae product picks up all types of sounds, from dogs barking to alarms sounding. These activity alerts are available to users free of charge.
You can take advantage of this product’s two-way audio. You’ll be able to hear everything that’s going on, and you can speak with family members with the Garager 2’s built-in microphone and speaker.
When you purchase this gadget on Amazon, it comes with a free 30-day trial for the cloud subscription. This service lets you store up to 7 days worth of video playback. Though you do have to pay for this service after the trial is over, it’s worth the investment, as it adds an extra layer of security to your monitoring activity.
- Built-in speaker and microphone
- 1080p HD video
- Night vision
- Two-way audio for clear communication
- Sound and motion detection
- Optional cloud storage
- Claims to work with Google Assistant, but some users have experienced otherwise
Even though the Alcidae Garager 2 is a bit pricier, it’s well worth it because it doubles as a surveillance camera.
- [ Complete garage solution ] - Universal garage door opener remote and garage surveillance all in one. Operate your garage door from the Alcidae app, anywhere!
- [ Smart alerts & notifications ] - receive an alert when motion or sound is detected. Sound detection (dog barking, alarms sounding) and motion detection use state-of-the-art technology to detect and send notifications to your phone. Activity alerts are available free of charge.
- [ INTEGRATION, & access sharing ] - share YOUR Wi-Fi camera and garage remote access with family and friends. Works with Alexa and Google Assistant
- [ 2 way audio, night vision ] - speak with family anytime using the built-in mic and speaker. And with night vision, rest assured you’re capturing all activity even in the dark.
- [ Supports optional cloud storage ] - Includes 30 day Free trial For our popular cloud subscription With 7 days of cloud video Playback. Experience safe, secure, and protected cloud video recording
Asante Smart Garage Door Opener
The Asante Smart Garage Door Opener is another option for individuals looking for a surveillance camera as well. It features a 480p Wi-Fi security camera with infrared capability. Capture everything that goes on around your home, even in the middle of the night.
To create a better remote viewing experience, this product comes with a wireless range extender.
The camera needs to be wired to the actual garage door controller, so where you can place it is limited.
For a high price, this product falls a little short in some areas. For instance, it only works with the Asante controller. There is no integration possible with IFTTT, Google Assistant, or Alexa.
Another drawback to this product is its inability to detect motion. Rather, it provides real-time continuous streaming. However, the app comes with free unlimited cloud access.
- Asante Home Extender
- Mounting bracket
- Power adapter
- Quick-start instructional guide
- Operate up to 2 doors with one controller
- Get push notifications through a text or email, though you’ll need an additional door sensor to receive these notifications)
- Infrared night vision
- Doesn’t work with IFTTT, Google Assistant, or Alexa
- Some users report that the app loads slowly
This camera and garage door opener combo comes with everything you need to monitor your home, including a free Asante account.
- Instantly view and control (open/close) your garage door from your Smartphone
- Unlimited cloud access with free app
- Night vision infrared lights can be manually turned on and off
- Easy installation and setup process
- Receive Email or SMS notification every time garage door is opened and closed with the optional sensor sold separately
What’s the Right Smart Garage Door Opener for Me? – Buyers Guide
With all of these products on the market, it can be difficult to know where to start! Check out what factors you should consider before making a final purchase.
What’s The Installation Process Like?
Some of these products require batteries and some don’t. Do you mind replacing batteries occasionally? Or do you never want to have to worry about them?
Installation can be a little tricky depending on the specific product, so make sure you take the time necessary to do it correctly. Some installation processes are more difficult than others, so you may want to consider your skill level before making a purchase.
How Does It Work with Other Devices?
Before investing in a garage door opener, make sure it’ll work with your current garage door. You can find detailed information regarding compatibility on the manufacturers’ website.
If you want your garage door opener to work with certain home devices and automated voice programs, take this into account when making your purchase.
Some products won’t work with devices like Alexa and Google Home, so be sure it has the capabilities you want.
Consider how you want to be able to monitor and control your door. Some are connected via Bluetooth, while others operate on a Wi-Fi connection. Bluetooth models will only work when you’re within 10-20 feet of your home. Wi-Fi models let you remotely monitor your garage door.
How Does It Fit My Budget?
Smart garage door openers can range from around $30 to almost $200. Find one that fits your family’s requirements, and don’t splurge on additional features that you won’t find useful.
Do I Want Surveillance Capabilities?
You can take safety one step further with a garage door opener that also contains a surveillance camera. Consider what you want in terms of the camera portion:
- Quality (480p vs 1080p)
- Ability to detect motion
- Ability to save video
How Many Doors Do I Have?
If you have multiple doors, take this into account when choosing a garage door opener.
Maybe one of your doors is hardly-ever used and you can get away with only having one garage door operated remotely.
Typically, the more doors your garage door opener can operate, the more expensive it will be. Know if your purchase comes with add-ons if you ever decide you need to control additional doors.
Some products, like the Tailwind iQ3 and the Genie Aladdin Connect, are simpler models available at an affordable price. If you’re looking for a higher-end product with more capabilities, something like the Alcidae Garager 2 may meet your needs better.
All of the products on this list have the potential to elevate your home’s security. The final decision comes down to you and your family’s personal preferences when it comes to factors like installation, device connectivity, and special features.
Check out other top smart home products: