In today’s digital age, it feels like everything is getting smarter – from cars, to TVs, to refrigerators. However, there’s one more item that many people would never have thought could become smart: their blinds.
Nowadays, blinds are much more than a simple covering for your windows. They can help you control the temperature in your home and achieve optimal lighting based on the time of day.
Keep reading for reviews of the best smart blinds currently on the market. Our buyers’ guide that follows will help you select from the top motorized blinds and give you the information you need to know to shop smart when searching for your next set of specialized window coverings.
Best Smart Blinds
Check out the best smart blinds available. These motorized blinds are known for great features, easy installation, and satisfied customer reviews. Find the best automatic blinds for your home!
These are the Best Motorized Smart Blinds:
- Yoolax Motorized Smart Blinds
- Curtain Call Electric Remote Controlled Drapery System
- MySmartBlinds Automation Kit Bundle + Solar Panel
- Yoolax Motorized Window Roller Shades
- Taiwan Present Godear Design Cordless Roller Window Shades
- AXIS Gear – Smart Blinds For Your Smart Home
- SUNFREE Automatic Roller Shades
- Keego Motorized Blinds
- Homesupplier Smart Curtain Rod
- Remote Controlled Drapery and Vertical Blind Motor
Yoolax Motorized Smart Blinds
These 100% blackout shades are perfect for offices or restaurants that experience direct sunlight through their windows. As a company, Yoolax specifically focuses on motorized shades and other home accessories. Their products are a smart choice for home and business owners alike.
- Polyester Fabric
- UV block
- Made to order
- Cordless, rechargeable motor
- Ensures the right fit with customizable sizing
- The remote control can control up to fifteen different shades
- Easy install with mounting and installation kits and instructions included.
- Difficult to program
- Instructions challenging to comprehend for some users
There are some of the best smart blinds on the market. User reviews for these motorized smart shades are overwhelmingly positive. While they are a tad on the expensive side, many users find them well worth the price tag because of their easy installation and enhanced remote control capabilities.
No products found.
Curtain Call Electric Remote Controlled Drapery System
This Amazon Alexa compatible system will make your life so much easier, allowing the perfect amount of light into your space.
- 1450 Adapter Cable and Wemo Mini Smart Plug
- Weighs 10 pounds
- Aluminum holder
- Compatible with Amazon echo
- Helpful, proactive customer service
- Customizable options for the track, runner, and hooks at no extra cost
- Adapter cable and mini smart plug sold separately
- High price point
These Alexa-controlled motorized blinds easily connect to smart home devices and are well worth the initial investment. The brand Curtain Call also has a top-notch customer service team.
- Motorized Curtain Rod operated by Amazon Echo Alexa with 1450 Adapter Cable and Wemo Mini Smart Plug
- Amazon Echo, Curtain Call Adapter Cable 1450 and Wemo WiFi Smart Plug are sold separately in Amazon.com
MySmartBlinds Automation Kit Bundle + Solar Panel
This model takes smart blinds to the next level by bringing solar panels into the mix. If you’re looking for one of the most high-tech smart home blinds on the market today, then you must consider this product.
- Smartphone compatibility
- Alexa and Google enabled
- Mobile, remote, voice, and manual control options
- Energy-efficient and environmentally conscious
- Relatively low price
- Ability to set time and temperature preferences
- Reports of unresponsive tech support
- Technical issues with the controlling app, especially for Android users
My Smart Blinds have helped to improve lives significantly because of the many control options coupled with a reasonable price. If you never want to have to think again about controlling the light or temperature of your home, then you need MySmartBlinds remote control blinds.
- The Blind Automation Kit converts 2-2.5” inch horizontal corded blinds into automated blinds.
- Voice Activated. Compatible with Alexa & Google Assistant. (Smart Bridge required for connectivity).
- Built-in temperature sensors make it simple for you to enjoy the home environment you prefer.
- Set daily and weekly schedules and never have to worry about opening and closing your blinds again.
- Harnesses the energy from the sun to keep the battery charged using sustainable solar energy.
Yoolax Motorized Window Roller Shades
This is another winner from the popular motorized shades company, Yoolax. This model is a little more sophisticated with thermal insulate. For controlling the temperature of your home or office, this may be an excellent option for your space.
- Polyester fabric
- Wireless, rechargeable, battery motor
- Made to order
- Thermal insulate with valence
- Water and oil-proof
- Fully customizable options
- Multiple remote control options
- Blackout shades
- The timing remote can only control one shade at a time
- It can take upwards of two weeks to receive your order once you have placed it
This improved product by the beloved company Yoolax includes enhanced functionality. With thermal insulate with valence and complete blackout capability, these motorized blinds will ensure your home is always the optimal temperature.
No products found.
Taiwan Present Godear Design Cordless Roller Window Shades
These motorized window shades provide effective light control and give the users full privacy as well. This product can even be used as a projector screen to add even more functionality to your space. If you’re looking for a shade that does it all, you’ll find it with Taiwan Present.
- 99.6% light blocking effect
- 100% cordless
- Certified as Best for Kids and by the FCC
- 35″ installation rod
- 32.5″ fabric width
- 72″ max fabric height
- Eliminates damaging effects of sun glare
- Easy to install with simple instructions
- Can be operated manually or remotely
- Slow roll-up speed
- Noisy motor
These electric shades provide cordless operation and easy installation, all at a reasonable price. Adding these shades to your home or office will result in a more pleasant living or working environment.
- Product size: The installation rod is 35 inches in length, and the fabric is 32.5 inches in width. The maximum height of the curtain is 72 inches, because of the circulation of fabric surface, there will be error of plus or minus 1.3 inches in length.
- 99.6% Light Blocking Effect of Fabric: Eliminate sun glare, indulge yourself in the luxury of full privacy.
- Motorized Remote Operation: Equipped with remote control and receiver. Hold down the button of remote control to operate blinds up and down. And it is easy to install: by just using hand tools and following the instructions, you are free to do it yourself.
- Safety: Motorized Remote Operation, no ball chain, no loops, 100% cordless blind. You can remotely control the curtains up and down without having to go to the curtains to control them. And due to safety concern, we set a reasonable speed and you don't need to regulate its speed. Certified as Best for Kids and by the FCC.
- Recommended Place: Be applicable to offices, conference halls, reception halls for the companies, and it is also applicable to your living rooms, bathrooms, kitchens, bedrooms, balconies and so on. Besides, this design roller blind could be used as a compartment with a free and open manner.
AXIS Gear – Smart Blinds for Your Smart Home
Contrary to many other automatic blinds on this list, this product can make your home’s existing shades or blinds automatic rather than requiring you to reinstall them. If you enjoy the screens that currently adorn your windows, then you need to look into this option.
- 5-minute DIY installation
- Control through either a smartphone app or smart touch control pad
- Set custom schedules
- Compatible with ZigBee equipped smart hubs
- Battery and solar-powered
- Multiple methods for remote control
- Environmentally friendly
- No need to replace existing blinds or shades
- Only works for plastic of metal beaded chains that are looped
- The company will send the power adapter separately
If you love the blinds you currently have but want to bring them into the 21st century, this product lets you have the best of both worlds. The vast number of settings available in this model makes it a popular choice for people who want ultimate control over their smart blinds.
No products found.
SUNFREE Automatic Roller Shades
These smart shades provide exceptional light control. They can make even the brightest of rooms more comfortable. With many sizes and colors, this product offers options for even the pickiest of home decorators.
- Wireless and rechargeable
- Aluminum alloy electric motor
- Blocks UV
- Thermal insulation
- Oil and waterproof
- Many different sizes available
- Several different colors offered
- No direct access to a wall outlet needed
- The remote control can control up to 15 shades
- Some complaints of cheap appearance
- Reports of screws missing upon delivery
This model provides more size and color options than other automated blinds currently on the market while maintaining a high standard of quality and eco-friendliness. Those who are concerned about how shades will fit into the aesthetic of their space need this option.
- ★Wireless use & Rechargeable--There is no wall power outlet needed. Built-in rechargeable motor，one charge lasts for three months.Note:Please fully charge the motors before first use.Remote Control-One Remote can control 15 shades.
- ★Easy to operate--Built-in high quality aluminum alloy electric motor, easy to install and use. Procedures are set before delivery, it can be used directly after installation.
- ★100% Blackout--Light blocking design, Effectively prevent light from entering the room.It can also block UV and thermal Insulate.
- ★Outside & Inside Mount--For inside install, the width of the window need to be 1/4 inch longer than the width of the shade.The depth of the Window need be large than 3 inch. Note: The width of fabric is 1.6 inches narrower than the total width.
- ★High quality materials--Adopt thickened eco-friendly fabric,oil and water proof,same color on both sides. Easy to clean, it can use duster or vacuum to whisk away dirt.
Keego Motorized Blinds
These sleek automatic window blinds provide a sophisticated and functional finish to any home, office, or living space. This silent and durable option has become more and more popular among those who want to increase the automation of their homes and workspaces.
- 100% polyester
- Water and oil resistant
- 100% blackout
- Can be mounted inside or outside
- 100% money-back guarantee for 100% satisfaction
- 6 hours of charge will allow the motor to power 600 up and down motions
- Only full blackout coverage if the user mounts the shades from the outside
With excellent user reviews and a 100% satisfaction guarantee, this is a solid choice for anyone requiring remote-controlled shades for light control or privacy.
- ✉【Fast Shipping & 100% Satisfaction】We ship this motorized roller blinds by UPS, usually arrives in 10-15 days. We stand behind our product by offering you 100% money back guarantee to ensure your 100% satisfaction.
- ✉【Easy to Control】Raise or Lower at the Touch of a Button. Motorized shades can completely open or close using RF 433 Mhz remote control-single channel (two channels) without wall power outlet.Charge UL CERTIFIED Li-io battery for 6 hours,can run up and down 600 times. Slient and durable.
- ✉【Safer for Kids & Pets】The absence of the messy looking wires and cords also ensures safety for homes with children and pets, with no accidental tangling, your window covering look neat and elegant.
- ✉【100% Blackout】Keego roller window shades can eliminates glare, block out all light pollution to ensure you get a good night's sleep. Provide absolute privacy and ensure your normal activities and prevent premature aging of your home furnishings and fabrics, makes these high-cost products more durable.
Homesupplier Smart Curtain Rod
This option allows users to automate their own curtains and operate them on a timer or by vocal command through Amazon Alexa or Google Home.
- Light touch trigger; tugging at the curtain will initiate the motor
- Metal and plastic materials
- The smart motor will remember opening times as well as distances
- Three installation options: central, left, and right opening
- Multiple control methods
- Compatible with smart devices
- Expensive price point, especially as curtains are not included
- Wall switch sold separately
As one of the only options of its kind on the market, if you need to control curtains automatically, this model will be perfect for you. The vast number of different control methods allows this product to seamlessly fit into anyone’s lifestyle.
- Durable, heavy duty, quiet smart curtain. Easy assembly, DIY length by cutting. Better motor quality.
- Multiple control methods: hand-held remote, smartphone, Amazon Alexa, Google Home, and Apple Siri.
- Timer scheduling for automated opening and closing via remote or smartphone.
- Three installation choices: central, left, and right opening. Smart motor can remember curtain position and distance settings.
- Light touch trigger: manually pulling the curtain can trigger the motor to operate automatically. Manual operation available when power is off.
Remote Controlled Drapery and Vertical Blind Motor
This vertical blind motor can work with your existing blinds to make their operation more manageable.
- RF remote control
- 15-minute installation
- X10, INSTEON and lamp timer adaptable
- Can be used with existing blinds
- Stops position at any point in the blind’s trajectory
- Affordable price
- Only functions for loop or cut-loop systems with one motor
- Reports of difficulty lifting heavy blinds
- Tilt must still be controlled manually
As one of the cheapest options available to motorize your existing blinds, its quick setup and functional settings make it useful for homeowners in a variety of situations. If you just need a simple fix, the Add-a-Motor device will deliver.
- Comes with RF remote control with 200 ft range. Works with braided draw line, plastic and beaded chain.
- Affordable and easy to install. Ideal for home theater curtains, living room drapery, dining rooms, bedrooms, dens, over patio doors, convention booth curtains, hotels, much more.
- Automatic stops at full open and closed positions. Can also stop at any intermediate position.
- In event of a power failure, clutch permits drapery to be opened and closed manually.
- AC-DC adapter with 6-ft. cord is included.
Automatic Blinds Buyer’s Guide
When buying a set of smart window blinds, it can be challenging to know which models and features will best fit your needs, especially if this is uncharted territory for you. Below, you will find the most important things to consider while searching for the best smart blinds to purchase.
Compatibility with Smart Devices
One of the first things to consider about smart window shades is just how smart you would like them to be. For instance, some models are entirely compatible with any smart home devices as well as your phone. Other devices simply operate through the use of remote control.
If you have a smart home device, then purchasing smart device compatible shades could be a priority for you. At the very least, it can help you integrate all the tech throughout the home.
However, if you don’t have a smart home, then a remote-controlled shade may be just fine for you. Some models even allow for a wall switch to be installed as another form of operation.
New or Existing Blinds or Shades
Some motorized devices attach to your existing shades to transform them into smart shades. Other models require you to completely re-outfit your windows with new blinds in a comprehensive system. Your decision will need to take into account what you hope to achieve, whether it’s installing new blinds or upgrading your current ones.
If you are attached to the shades you currently own, the motorized options will be better for you. However, if you prefer to update your current shades, a complete set with built-in smart tech may be the way to go.
As a note, many motorized devices are only compatible with certain types of window shades. Most will work only with blinds that have looped chains. Make sure to check out what kind of window treatments you currently have before buying.
Type of Shade
Electric blinds and shades offer many options in terms of the functionality of the window covering. You must consider whether you would prefer a blind or shade. You must also think about your preferences for the material.
Some materials are more eco-conscious than others, while some are more durable than others. Additionally, some materials will provide your home with UV protection and heat insulation. It all comes down to your priorities and personal preferences which features you decide to prioritize.
Remote Control Options
With remote-control electric window shades, you must consider the spectrum of remote control offerings. Some models allow you to control one window shade with each remote. However, if you intend to outfit your entire home with remote control window blinds, then this type of control may not be the best option for you.
Conversely, there are many options out there that allow you to control up to 15 different shades with a single remote. If you only plan on installing one motorized blind in your home, then this remote type may be overkill.
You also can consider the different special features that different remotes provide. Some will allow you to set schedules, positions, or even track your usage patterns.
One of the biggest reasons people invest in window treatments is to control the amount of light that is entering their home. For light blockage, the standard options are a complete light blockage or partial. If you prefer it to be darker inside your home, then 100% blackout shades will do the trick. If you still like a little light, look for more transparent shades or blinds. For more smart light control, install smart light bulbs as well.
Window shades that don’t mesh with your home decor can become an eyesore. If your home’s aesthetic appeal is essential to you, then you should place a strong emphasis on the look of the automated shades you are considering acquiring.
Some shades have a sleek and minimalist look while others are a tad bulkier. Another aspect of style to consider is color. Many companies only offer products in black or white. If you are looking for a more specific color such as brown or blue, then you may be limited in your choices.
The primary function that shades or blinds fill is light control. However, that is not their only capability. Another reason many people purchase shades is to increase privacy. Generally, this can only be achieved through black-out or opaque shades.
Some shades can even be used as a projector screen. This usually only applies to blackout or opaque shades, as well. If you want your shades to be used for more than just light control, then that may influence the model in which you end up investing.
Last but not least, the price of powered window blinds is something that buyers must consider. The more high-tech the motorized window blinds, the more expensive the product will likely be.
Another feature that can factor into the price is whether you are purchasing just the motor or a whole blind or shade set. Sometimes, you can save a bit of money by only purchasing the motor rather than an entire system.
Additionally, curtain systems tend to be dramatically more expensive than simple window shade or blind treatments. This is something to keep in mind if you desire to cover large windows.
As technology continues to advance, it is going to continue to permeate more and more aspects of our lives. Window treatments are a home feature that is benefiting from this expansion of technology. Luckily for us, that means we can live more comfortable lives where we can accomplish the things we want at the touch of a button.
Hopefully, this set of reviews and buyer’s guide have helped you to feel more confident when making decisions in this realm. Now, you can feel empowered to find the perfect automatic window shades to make your home as carefree as possible.
Last update on 2021-08-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API