Every sensible pet owner knows that their animal deserves the best things in life. But if you’re someone who works a lot or frequently goes on trips, you might feel guilty that your pets aren’t getting the care they need.
With an automatic pet food dispenser, you won’t need to worry. The technology of auto pet food dispensers has come very far. You can often program times, portion sizes, and even messages for your pets when it’s time to eat!
There are timed feeders, gravity feeders, and other options for nearly any sized pet. If you’re on a quest to find the best automatic pet feeders, you’re in luck.
- 1 Best Smart Pet Feeders
- 2 Automatic Pet Feeder Reviews
- 2.1 Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feeder
- 2.2 Homdox Automatic Cat Feeder
- 2.3 PetSafe Smart Feed Automatic Dog and Cat Feeder
- 2.4 WOPET SmartFeeder
- 2.5 Jnwayb Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser
- 2.6 TDYNASTY DESIGN Automatic Pet Feeder
- 2.7 HoneyGuaridan A36 Automatic Pet Feeder
- 2.8 Aspen Pet Lebistro Programmable Cat and Dog Feeder
- 2.9 Qpets Automatic Pet Feeder
- 2.10 PETKIT Smart Feed Automatic Cat Feeder Dog Feeder
- 3 What to Look for in an Automatic Pet Feeder – Buyers Guide
- 4 FAQ
- 5 Final Thoughts
Best Smart Pet Feeders
We’ve done the research so busy pet parents don’t have to! Check out the best automatic cat feeder and best automatic dog feeder options available today.
These are the Best Automatic Pet Feeders:
- Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feeder
- Homdox Automatic Cat Feeder
- PetSafe Smart Feed Automatic Dog and Cat Feeder
- WOPET SmartFeeder,
- Jnwayb Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser
- TDYNASTY DESIGN Automatic Pet Feeder
- HoneyGuaridan A36 Automatic Pet Feeder
- Aspen Pet Lebistro Programmable Cat and Dog Feeder
- Qpets Automatic Pet Feeder
- PETKIT Smart Feed Automatic Cat Feeder Dog Feeder
Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feeder
This is one of the best automatic cat food feeder options. It’s also suitable for smaller dogs. If your pooch is any bigger than a bulldog, however, it may be too small. Still, it’s quite a versatile, well-functioning machine with a reasonable price tag to boot!
The Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feeder dispenses 24 mL portions, and it can be set to give anywhere from 1 to 10 portions per mealtime. You can program up to four feedings a day. It can hold 1.14 gallons, which is good for smaller kibble. It has an easy-open lid for people but locks in place to keep out furry friends.
This food dispenser has a 10-second feeding time recording for pet parents to encourage hungry pets. It also has a light-up LCD screen for programming. It can run on D batteries or a power cord. It’s made of easy-to-clean but sturdy plastic.
- Voice recording for mealtimes (up to 10 seconds)
- Great size for cats or small dogs
- Easy to open, clean, and use
- Multiple power methods
- Cannot customize portion sizes beyond multiples of 24
- Small storage capacity for longer trips
- Best-suited for single pet households
The Arf Pets feeder is typically available for under $100, and it has consistently good reviews on Amazon. The voice recording and versatile power sources make this programmable pet feeder a great option for cat (and small dog) owners!
- Automatic Food Dispenser Makes Feeding Hassle Free for Pets’ Dietary Health & Wellbeing
- Dispense from 1-10 Portions Per Meal, Each Portion is 24ml, Set Up to 4 Daily Distribution Alarms; Simply Pick Your Portion Size & Unit Dispenses Dry Meals
- Blue Lightup LCD Clock & Display Provides Easily Adjustable Settings; Magnetic Lock Lid
- Record Personal Meal Call Up to 10 Seconds; Runs on 3 D Batteries or DC Power Cable to Outlet
- Customizable Feeder Great for Dogs, Cats and Small Animals of Various Sizes; Keep Them Happy All Day Long
Homdox Automatic Cat Feeder
This automatic cat feeder is cute, unique, and easy to use. Rather than a boring dispenser, it looks like a little robot!
The fun design is the most appealing thing about this automatic cat food dispenser. The LCD screen allows you to customize feeding times (up to 4 times a day) and the size of each meal. The portion sizes range from 5 grams to 195 grams, and you can choose how many portions per meal. There is also an infrared sensor in the bowl to prevent overeating.
The Homdox can feed cats for up to 5 days while you’re away, and you can record a voice message for feeding times, too!
- Prevents over-feeding with precise portions sizes and infrared detectors
- Multiple power sources
- Cute design
- Easy to use
- Not suited for trips longer than 5 days
- Some cats may not like the shape
- Dry food only
The Homdox may not be the biggest feeder, but it’s great for short trips! It boasts a cute, robot design, and it is very versatile. It’s also very affordable! If you want one, head over to Amazon now!
PetSafe Smart Feed Automatic Dog and Cat Feeder
This PetSafe automatic feeder has a ton of features and bonuses that many pet owners adore! This programmable food dispenser has a lot to offer.
This smartphone compatible, WiFi pet feeder already jumps out from the list. It connects to your home WiFi, so you can feed your pets with your phone no matter where you are. You can also go the traditional method and program meal times and portion sizes (1/8 cup – 4 cups) into the machine. It can be plugged in or operate on batteries. The size is best-suited for cats and small to medium dogs.
- Smartphone/WiFi compatible
- Customized portion sizes
- Feeding schedule can be done manually or by timer
- Good for cats or dogs
- Dry food only
- Somewhat expensive
- No voice recording
With its flexibility, slow-feed settings, and simple design, the PetSafe Smart Feed is a good option for most pet owners. For a reliable programmable pet food dispenser, buy it on Amazon!
- Feed from your phone: Feed your pet anytime from your smartphone with the smart feed app; App requires an iPhone or iPod device iOS 9.0 or later, or a compatible Android smartphone 6.0 or later
- Personalize your pet's meals: Schedule up to 12 meals for your dog or cat; The feed Now option allows you to feed your pet in addition to the scheduled meal times; dry food only
- Flexible portions: Meals can be dispensed in portions of 1/8 cup to 4 cups to fit your pet's needs; Slow feed option allows food to dispense slowly over a 15 minute period to help prevent digestive upset
- Battery backup: The optional battery backup requires 4 D cell alkaline batteries (not included); if Wi-Fi drops, your pet still receives the next scheduled feeding
- Dishwasher safe: Lid, hopper, stainless steel bowl and bowl holder are top shelf, dishwasher safe for convenient cleaning; made of BPA free plastic and stainless steel; for indoor use only
WOPET is an up and coming brand in the world of smart feeders. It’s not one of the most well-known brands – yet. No worries, though. With Wi-Fi capabilities, this smart dog feeder might be exactly what you need.
The stand-out of this automatic dog food dispenser is the camera to monitor your pet. It is compatible with an app that allows you to feed them whenever, wherever, and it also lets you talk to and see your pets with a 720p camera on the front. It has customizable portion sizes with feedings up to 6 times a day. It also has a large food storage capacity.
- Voice and camera capabilities
- WiFi compatible
- Lots of food space
- Flexible portion sizes
- A little expensive
- Portion sizes start at 10 grams, so less precise
- Dry food only
With lots of storage space, the ability to see and connect with your pet, and easy cleaning, this feeder is perfect for any pet owner. To buy your own, you can find it on Amazon!
- Working like a pet sitter,be able to feed your pet from anywhere and at anytime. remotely set times to feed your pet automatically or choose to do a manual feeding from your mobile device instantly.Best auto pet feeder for dogs and cats.
- HD Camera for Voice and Video Recording,work as a smart pet camera with a connected app that lets you see, talk, play with your pet. Connect with your pet while you are away with the supported audio chat/recording. Sharing your favorite moment on social media directly.
- Two Food Dispense Trays-The difference between small and large is the size of food dispense out,So you can replace it based on your need,each meal dispense from 1-39 Portions, Each Portion is around 10-12g, Simply Pick Your Portion Size & Unit Dispenses Dry Meals.Help control body weight and establish good eating habits which will allow them to live a long and healthy life with you.
- OPERATING TIPS - Suitable for dry food only, with the food pellet size ranging from 0.2-0.6 inches in diameter; up to 6 meals a day. Download the WOPET iOS/Android app for free. Compatible with iOS 7.5 or Android 4.0 and above. IMPORTANT - Your home WiFi network needs to be a 2.4GHz frequency in order for the pet feeder to work.
- Customizable Feeder Great for Dogs, Cats and Small Animals of Various Sizes.Provide a interesting living for your pet with our pet feeder!24-hour professional service center and 365 day technical support.
Jnwayb Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser
Another affordable option, this dog-proof cat feeding station with simple design has all the necessary features! This is a great model for keeping your dog out of your cat’s dinner.
Portion sizes can be set easily and start as small as 4 grams. You can choose how many portions to give and program up to 6 feeding times per day. It can run on batteries or a power cord. An infrared detector stops the bowl from overflowing. You can also record messages to play at feeding time for your pets. It stores up to 3 liters of food.
- Super customizable portion sizes
- Cute appearance
- Voice recording
- Double power sources
- Dry food only
- Suitable for cats only and better for one to two cats at most
The Jnwayb is affordable, fun, and has all the features of a quality pet feeder. Sounds like a good fit? Buy your own on Amazon!
No products found.
TDYNASTY DESIGN Automatic Pet Feeder
Unlike the others on the list so far, this gravity feeder cat lovers can enjoy is all about the basics. It provides pre-portioned meals, up to five at a time, in a disc. It’s that simple!
This round, disc-shaped feeder has five food trays that can hold up to 240 mL each. You can use it for wet food or dry food, or both! It’s an automatic cat feeder wet food users adore. You can record a short voice recording to play at each feeding time, and you can set up to 4 alarms. It can run on an adapter or multiple C batteries.
- Quieter than some gravity feeders
- Wet and dry food
- Up to 5 portions
- Must be set up before departure
- Only good for long days, not trips
This affordable cat food dispenser timer is great for those who work long days. It’s compact, easy to set up, and can take both wet and dry food. Grab one for your cat!
- Automatic Electronic Pet Feeder can feed your pet according to the time and quantity you preset. Programmable up to 5 meals per day. Great for cats and small & medium size dogs.
- 5 compartments (5 x 240ml) for use with dry, packaged moist and wet food (or even Treats & Medication). Removable cover and food tray, easy to clean (dishwasher safe).
- Set up to 4 daily distribution alarms. Record personal meal call up to 10 seconds and play 3 times when food feeding starts. Blue backlight LCD display with touch control panel.
- Powered by DC adapter or 4 "C" batteries (excluded). When electric cuts off, it will be powered by battery and keep feeding. The last feeding schedule can be saved even if power is failure.
- Secure latching lid to keep the food in the tray until the designated feeding time. Keep your pet on a regular feeding schedule and eat well whether you are at home or away.One-year warranty.
HoneyGuaridan A36 Automatic Pet Feeder
This dog food dispenser is great for small dogs and cats. It’s reliable, easy to use, and tip-proof. the sturdy design makes it difficult for pets to knock it over.
The bottom has 4 anti-skip pads, so if your pet pushes it along, it’s much less likely to tip. The top locks to keep paws out. It’s best for smaller kibble sizes. Portion sizes start very small for premium customization. The bowl itself can hold up to 3 cups at once, and the feeder storage can hold 13 cups. You can schedule up to 6 meals a day and record a mealtime message.
- Very secure
- Good portion options
- Sturdy construction
- Two power sources (adapter and battery)
- Dry food only
- Best for small pets/small kibble only
If you have a cat or smaller dog, this could be the perfect timed feeder. It won’t last multiple days, but it’s perfect for long workdays and offers an easy set-up. Buy the A36 from Amazon!
- 【Customize Meal Size & Time】HoneyGuaridan automatic pet feeder can dispense portions from 1 to 80 portions of 0.28 oz (about 1/16 cup) each per meal for 1 portion. Food storage capacity is 13 cups for dry food, the stainless steel bowl holds up 3 cups. The kibble size can not exceed 0.47 inch,otherwise it may get jammed.This automatic dog & cat feeder can be scheduled up to 6 meals a day. Once you program the feeding plans, they will be followed permanently even if the device is shut down.
- 【Structure Design, Easy to Clean and Low Food Alarm】Removable food container and stainless steel food bowl structure to be easily washed5. The pet feeder has a built-in low-food-alarm: When the food level is too low, the LED light will flash blue to remind you to fill in more food.
- 【Premium Customizable Message Speaker】This automatic pet food dispenser has a built-in voice recorder and a speaker to call your pets to their meal with a 10-seconds-long message. You can also disable the recorder sound for your smart pet, it means you can have a good sleep in the weekends it will simply serves the pet without message reminder.
- 【Unique Infrared Detection Design】A built-in infrared sensor alerts when the food stuck in the feeder, the motor will rotate oppositely to release food to prevent the food from blocking.The automatic cat feeder is powered by power adapter and 4 D-size batteries. In case of power outage, the feeder will continue to function on 4 D-size batteries to assure your pet never miss a feeding. (Batteries are NOT included)
- 【Ergonomic Operation Panel】User friendly control panel, easy to set up. Anti-touch buttons to prevent your pet from accidentally touching and stealing food, Manual feeding choice to give pet food whenever you want. Top lid forms a type of seal so that the kibble stays fresh and so that your pets receive the food they need. Removable food container and stainlees steel bowl for easy installation and cleaning.
Aspen Pet Lebistro Programmable Cat and Dog Feeder
If you’re looking for a simple dog food dispenser, this is the one for you. It doesn’t offer recording capability, but you can count on it to deliver all the pet feeding necessities.
This Aspen Pet Lebistro is good for cats or dogs, and it can hold up to 18 cups of food. It can also be used for water. The dish is hand-wash only and locks securely in place. You can set portion sizes or allow it to refill as needed. The LCD screen is very easy to use.
- Simple design with all basics covered
- Easy-to-use LCD interface
- Food or water compatible
- Very secure
- Dry food (or water) only
- No voice recording
- Less customization
If you’re looking for an outdoor automatic dog feeder, this could be the one. It’s simple, requires little effort, and has versatile uses. You can buy it on Amazon today!
- AUTOMATIC FOOD DISPENSER: Cat & dog feeder dispenses dry food as pets eat, prolonging refill time. Features LCD screen to schedule meals & set portion sizes. Runs on 3 'D' batteries, not included.
- 18-CUP CAPACITY: Timed cat feeder available in an 18-cup capacity to store smaller quantities of food as needed. Bowl locks securely in place & has twist-lock lid. Feeder bowl is hand wash only.
- FOOD & WATER: Keep pets fed with fresh food & water with a variety of our products. Check out our airtight dry food storage containers, bowls for kennels, gravity water bowls, automated food bowls & travel accessories.
- ASPEN PET: Aspen Pet provides every day essentials for pet parents, dogs & cats. Check out Aspen Pets for leash cable tie-outs, litter box accessories, pet toys, gravity water/food bowls, pet beds, dog houses, carriers & more!
- JUST FOR PETS: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens & other small furry friends! Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm & Hammer, Booda, Chuckit!, Jackson Galaxy & more!
Qpets Automatic Pet Feeder
The Qpets is another dish-shaped, portion set timed dog feeder. It’s cute, compact, and easy to use!
The Qpets has 6 portions available, which can hold dry or wet food. Each tray holds up to one cup of food. You can also record a 6-second message for your pets! The number of trays also allows for up to 6 separate feeding times per day.
- Good for cats or dogs (mainly small)
- Audio message
- Wet or dry food
- Only good for day trips
- Portions are small
This smart dog feeder is best for small dogs or cats. It’s compact and easy to use. Just fill it in the morning and be on your way. Find one for your pet!
- 6 compartments for use with dry, packaged moist and wet food.
- Record a 6 second personal message for your pet
- This device allows you to keep your pet on a regular feeding schedule. The AF-108 allows you to feed your pet up to (6) six times in a 24 hour period.
- Built-in clock with easy to read LCD.
- Our new design has a lid lock to keep the food in the tray until the designated feeding time.
PETKIT Smart Feed Automatic Cat Feeder Dog Feeder
With a sleek design and lots of storage space – up to 6 pounds of dry kibble – this automatic dog food dispenser is great for almost any pet owner.
The PETKIT feeder has a cool, cubic design and can hold up to 6 lbs of dry food. It features a WiFi-compatible app to feed your pets at any time, or it can be set up with a timer system. It’s also compatible with Alexa. Portion sizes range from 5 g to 100 g, up to 10 feeding times per day. It’s decently large, so it’s good for most pets!
- Easy-to-use app
- Lots of space
- Good for most pet sizes
- Dependable for long trips
- Higher priced
- No voice recording
You may not be able to talk to them, but the WiFi feeding can make you feel a little more connected to your pet – no matter how big or small they are! Taking longer trips is easy with this one, too. Snag the PETKIT feeder now!
No products found.
What to Look for in an Automatic Pet Feeder – Buyers Guide
When it comes to your cat or dog, you only want the best. There are a few key things to look for when you’re seeking the best automatic pet feeders. Sometimes, these characteristics slightly differ, depending on if you require a cat feeder, dog feeder, or a device suitable for either. Consider the following factors to narrow down your options.
This is the most important part of all pet bowls, feeders, and waterers. For some of the more “basic” auto food dispensers, security is a big problem. You want something that your cat or dog won’t be able to break into while you’re away. Some factors that combat this are high-quality materials, locking systems, and securing methods.
Always look over the design and security features to make sure you’re investing in the best automatic pet feeders.
Some gravity feeders don’t require batteries, but most of the better quality ones are either plugged in or battery-operated. You’ll want to look for something that uses long-lasting batteries or has a self-charging method. You might find an upscale pet feeder has a lot of fancy features but terrible battery life. Look over the specifications and battery information before making a purchase!
Portion Control Settings
This can apply to both an automatic cat feeder and an automatic dog feeder. Portion control is a big part of a healthy diet. When you feed your pets yourself, you have an idea of how much they should eat. An auto feeder does not. However, most devices come with features that let you program portion sizes. You can also simply buy ones with certain dish sizes, to limit the amount of food dispensed.
Food Type Compatibility
This is more for cat owners than dog owners, but some dogs eat multiple types of food, too! Sometimes a cat food dispenser is only dry food compatible. Many devices can store one type of food or another but not both at the same time.
If you have cats on a dry-only or wet food only diet, you may want multiple feeders with dual capabilities. Dog owners should take note, too. How you set up the feeders is up to you, but make sure you know if it’s wet/dry compatible and that your pet’s favorite brand of food will fit.
Ease of Cleaning
This one is more about you than your pets. If it looks complicated to take apart and clean, it probably is. Sometimes, a pet feeding station is dishwasher safe. Others are easy to take apart, wash, and put back together. Look over the feeder before you buy it to see how easy it will be to disassemble. Pet bowls are prime bacteria spaces, so you’ll want to stay on top of the cleaning!
Depending on how many pets you have, the size of your pets, the type of food, and how long you’ll be gone, the amount of food you’ll need to store will vary. If you don’t travel much but are simply gone for long hours, the average timed food dispenser will suit you. If you will be gone for a few days and don’t have someone to regularly feed them, you’ll want something with a little more space. The size of the food matters, too. Bigger kibble will need more space!
…And Everything Else!
An automatic food dispenser may have a lot of bonus features. Many smart options have a voice recorder for you to record little messages to play at feeding time. It makes lonely pets feel a little better, and it gives them a warning that food is coming. Some have pre-set portion trays. Take a look at everything the dispenser has to offer and see if anything stands out!
Are automatic pet feeders good for pets?
An automatic pet feeder can be a convenient gadget, but may not be for all pets. While these are great for feeding when you’re away from home, it doesn’t mean that you can leave your pets behind for days at a time. Dogs especially need more care, as they’ll need to be taken out to use the bathroom unlike cats. Automatic feeding is good in theory and sometimes in practice, but will not substitute entirely for pet care.
Are gravity feeders bad for dogs?
Depending on your dogs appetite and eating habits, gravity feeders may not be the best choice. Some dogs don’t know when they are full and will keep eating until they are sick; if your dog doesn’t have any self control when it comes to food, a gravity feeder may be a bad idea, since the bowl will keep refilling. There are plenty of automatic dog feeders that allow you to feed your dog remotely without over serving them, however. Some dogs will do fine with a gravity feeder if they don’t tend to overeat.
Should I leave food out for my pet all day?
No, generally it is not a good idea to leave your pet’s food out all day. It is better to create and maintain a regular feeding schedule for your pets. Automatic feeders make it easier to maintain that schedule when you can’t be home at the usual feeding time. If your pet neglects to eat its food, it’s usually good to take it away and try again at a different time. This is the one drawback of automatic dispensers, as you won’t be home to take the food away if your pet doesn’t eat.
It’s up to you! Every pet is different as every pet owner is different. The best electronic cat feeder for one may be too noisy for another.
This guide provides a good place to start your search for the best pet food dispenser. Think about you need, what your pet needs, and what the feeder has to offer.
With the best automatic pet feeders, you’ll soon be on your way to much easier feeding time.
Last update on 2020-10-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API