A GPS tracker for dogs could be a life-saving purchase for your furry friend. Any pet owner can tell you how terrible it is to think you’ve lost your dog, any many dog owners take the precaution of adding a dog tracker to their pet’s collar to avoid losing them. GPS dog trackers can be tracked through your cell phone to find out where your pet has gone.
No pet owner wants to be in a situation where they have to track down their missing animal. However, with so many pet tracking devices available and lots of features to choose from, it is easier than ever to find a pet tracker that offers peace of mind while also providing some fun and inventive ways to keep tabs on your beloved four-legged friend.
Best GPS Dog Trackers
Even if your dog is microchipped, it’s a good idea to have a backup system to find them. Here, we’ll share the popular GPS trackers for dogs currently on the market, as well as features to look for in the best models. The best dog trackers should keep tabs on your furry friends and give owners peace of mind!
These are the Best GPS Trackers for Dogs:
- Whistle GO Explore Pet Tracker
- Findster Duo
- Tractive GPS 3G Pet Tracker
- Link AKC Smart GPS Dog Tracker
- Marco Polo Advanced Pet Tracker Tag
- SportDog TEK Series GPS Tracking System
- Garmin T5 GPS Dog Collar
- Bartun GPS Dog Tracker
- Petfon Pet GPS Tracker
- TKStar Anti-Lost GPS Pet Tracker
Whistle GO Explore Pet Tracker
The Whistle Go Pet Tracker is one of the most popular GPS pet trackers available, with a large set of convenient features and wireless capabilities. You’ll not only be able to keep tabs on your dog; you’ll get notifications about their behavior.
This device provides live GPS location tracking using AT&T nationwide network and Google Maps. With smart activity detection, you’ll know exactly what your pet was doing and when throughout the day. You’ll also receive a weekly wellness report of your pet’s habits such as licking or scratching. Multiple owner and safe place settings allow for total customization. Updates can be emailed, texted or viewed in an app.
- Real-time alerts when pets leave designated safe places.
- Alerts can be sent to multiple owners.
- Excellent battery life of up to 20 days.
- Built to last; waterproof and lightweight.
- Can be worn on any collar up to 1” wide.
- Set and track activity goals.
- Remotely controlled light illuminates from tracker.
- 90 day trial period.
- Can be used on dogs and cats.
- Some users report a lag time of notification from leaving designated safe place.
- If AT&T service is not widely available in your area, this tracker may not be the best dog GPS for you (it will, however, still work within designated WiFi range).
- Requires a monthly subscription.
Because of its many health and behavior tracking features, coupled with long battery life and ease of use, the Whistle GO Explore is an all-around top pick for the best pet GPS trackers.[amazon box=”B07TC75S8W”]
Findster Duo is a real-time GPS pet tracking device that also monitors fitness and health of dogs and cats. With one small module for the animal and one for the owner, you’ll be able to watch your pet’s activity using the Findster App on your cell phone. You can even be alerted if a pet wanders from an owner-designated safe area.
Real-time GPS tracking device with instant alerts that also acts as an activity tracker. Multiple owners can utilize app to track activity and location and receive alerts if a pet leaves a safe area. Past locations and walks can be revisited through the app.
- Small, lightweight and waterproof up to three feet immersion.
- Does not depend on cellular coverage.
- No monthly subscription necessary.
- Can be used anywhere in the world at any time, even off-grid.
- Connect more than one pet at a time.
- Location tracking works only up to 0.5 miles in dense urban areas and up to 3 miles in more open, outdoor environments.
- Battery life when live GPS tracking activated only lasts up to 12 hours; without GPS constantly activated, can last up to 3 days.
If you are looking to track your pet’s location while enjoying a walk outside as opposed to constant indoor or remote tracking, the Findster Duo works well. It comes without a monthly fee, making it another premium choice for the best pet tracker.[amazon box=”B07FFCRQHN”]
Tractive GPS 3G Pet Tracker
Check the location of a pet in real-time when using the Tractive GPS 3G Pet Tracker through any browser page or designated smartphone app. The animal’s position is shown on a digital map that can be customized to include a predetermined safe area, alerting owners when a pet has gone too far.
Usable in over 150 countries, this pet locator attaches to any collar. Multiple accounts can be used to see real-time location, as well as review location history.
- Unlike other Bluetooth trackers, Tractive has no range limitation.
- Waterproof and shock-resistant.
- Small but durable, with a rechargeable battery that has a life of 2-5 days when fully charged.
- Subscription plan necessary, starting at $5 per month.
With the ride range Bluetooth tracking ability, coupled with the real-time location updates, the small but mighty Tractive GPS 3G pet tracker is a solid choice for a cell-based GPS dog collar. Multiple options of monthly plans give owners flexibility when subscribing. Add in location history tracking and alerts from leaving designated areas, and this tracker is well worth its expense.[amazon box=”B072XMDHTZ”]
Link AKC Smart GPS Dog Collar
A fashionable yet functional GPS tracker for dogs, the Link AKC Smart collar tracks through GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth and cellular activity.
Beyond location tracking, this product pairs with Link AKC app to log vet records, receive ambient temperature alerts, track activity, and give recommendations. It also shows location history, remotely turns on an LED light for night time walks, and utilizes a sound feature to help with training. Comes in two versions – classic leather or sports collar.
- Unbeatable tracking accuracy through AT&T wireless service plan.
- Sleek look and design.
- Easy to use app.
- The remote turn-on light and sound features signal your dog even when you are not there.
- Waterproof in up to 3 feet of water for up to 30 minutes.
- Extended warranty, size guarantee, access to Pet Poison Hotline included.
- Link up to 10 collars, storage of activity goals, location history, and vet records all on the app.
- Not recommended for dogs under 10 pounds.
- Only for use within the United States.
- Users report the battery needs to be charged daily.
- Monthly subscription for cellular service necessary.
For super accurate, real-time location tracking that comes in a fashionable design, the Link AKC Smart Tracker is the best of the best. The extra bells and whistles make this a fun way for dog owners to care for their pet.[amazon box=”B01MFG7ELX”]
Marco Polo Advanced Pet Tracker Tag
The Marco Polo Advanced Pet Tracking system uses radio waves to detect a pet’s location up to 2 miles away from the hand-held locator. Within range, this GPS dog tag allows the owner to track the pet’s exact location, even if it is on the move, hiding, or inside of a building. Simply follow the arrow and watch for the signal strength to increase.
Handheld locator that is easy to use with the click of 1 button. Streamlined tags are suitable for cats or even small dogs. Once a safe zone has been established by the owner, an alert will be sent within 80 seconds when a pet wanders.
- Easy to use.
- Rugged, durable, and waterproof design for both tracking tags and handheld locator.
- One system can accommodate up to 3 pets with purchase of additional tags.
- Can be used anywhere, as it works separately from any GPS, cellular or Bluetooth services.
- No monthly contracted services.
- Rechargeable battery lasts up to 6 weeks, even with continuous monitoring.
- Handheld locator is a little bulky.
- Users report the locator works better in open, outdoor conditions, as opposed to more urban, populated areas.
For a simple and straightforward pet tracker that you can use literally anywhere and not have a monthly fee to pay, the Marco Polo Advanced Pet Tracker is the ideal choice![amazon box=”B01N9592RQ”]
SportDog TEK Series GPS Tracking System
By using special HopTek technology, the SportDog TEK GPS tracking system reports location, direction, and status of up to 12 dogs in a 7-mile range of the handheld locator.
Using GPS technology, the handheld tracker tracks pets wearing the locator collar. A compass and settable waypoints allows the user to have ultimate location tracking. Trainer setting allows you to deliver static, tone or vibration options remotely to the pet collar.
- 99 levels of training stimulation.
- Tilt-compensated compass with adjustable scale for location purposes.
- Large, 7-mile radius for dog tracking.
- Can track and train up to 12 dogs at a time
- Signal’s the pet’s direction, distance, and movement
- Waterproof, submersible and rechargeable.
- Customizable area allows owner to be alerted when a dog has exited set zone.
- A more expensive tracking system, but with no monthly subscription.
- Collar with antenna attached needs charging approximately every 24 hours.
For a rugged, more sport-like outing, this dog GPS tracker is amazing and easy to use. It’s great for large distances, no matter the circumstances or weather.[amazon box=”B074CQF37Q”]
Garmin T5 GPS Dog Collar
The Garmin T5 GPS dog collar is a dog tracking device for use with Garmin Astro 320 or Alpha 100 handheld trackers. This highly sensitive GPS tracker can locate dogs up to 9 miles away.
Rescue mode and LED light. Can track more than 1 collar at a time.
- No monthly costs.
- Super rugged and durable.
- Waterproof up to 10 meters.
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery with a 20-40 hour life span.
- Expensive and will need to purchase a separate handheld device in order to track.
- Users consistently report that devices fail within a 1 year time span; however, Garmin provides a no questions asked 1-year replacement warranty.
For a tough, outdoorsy pooch, this Garmin dog tracker will provide reliable, accurate GPS location.
Bartun GPS Dog Tracker
Utilizing real-time GPS location, the Bartun GPS Tracker is ideal for tracking even small pets anytime, anywhere—even off-grid. This pet tracker works great for dogs and cats.
Multiple sizes of trackers; even small dogs or cats can be located. Trackers can be worn in multiple ways and on different styles of collars. Track history and set safe place areas, with alerts sent when pets leave safe areas. Indoor tracker uses WiFi to update positioning.
- Live, real-time updates of location – no cellular service needed.
- Able to track more than one pet.
- IP65 waterproof.
- Smartphone app interface with alerts if a pet leaves the designated safe zone.
- Battery life of up to 20 hours with GPS locator turned on; up to 3 days with occasional GPS use.
- Small monthly cost to operate SIM card.
- Some customers report complicated initial set-up.
For owners of smaller pets, this tracker can be the perfect fit at a cheaper monthly cost than other cellular tracking systems.[amazon box=”B07SQ4MB68″]
Petfon Pet GPS Tracker
Petfon pet tracker uses GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, and other wireless technologies for accurate and real-time location of pets while walking outside. It comes with one module for the owner and one for the pet.
Small and lightweight, the Petfon tracker reaches up to .65 miles in an urban or more populated area, and up to 3.5 miles in a more open environment. Owners can set up a safe zone through an E-fence while using the iOS app. Alarm sound if the pet enters a danger zone. Tracker emits colorful lights, and users can customize a voice speaker to sound.
- Quick and easy setup.
- 30-day money-back guarantee and one-year warranty.
- Easy to use, portable charging box.
- Up to 4-day battery life when GPS used for daily walks.
- Recordable voice commands allow owner to communicate remotely with pet.
- Tracking not as accurate when used for indoor tracking purposes.
- App only iOS capable.
- Battery life only 8-16 hours depending upon use.
A small and easy to use customizable pet tracker, the Petfon GPS Tracker has some unique features for users with iOS smartphones who want everyday use of a GPS pet tracking system.[amazon box=”B07QY78Z2N”]
TKStar Anti-Lost GPS Pet Tracker
TKStar GPS pet tracking device uses cellular and GPS networks to track a dog wearing the device on its collar. It sends information directly to an app on the owner’s phone.
GPS tracking provides accurate location, shown through Google Maps on the cell phone app. Users can set Geo-fencing and track history of locations for up to 180 days.
- Device offers low battery alarm, sleep mode, and updates frequently through phone app.
- Affordably priced and good return policy.
- Recommended for dogs larger than 9 pounds; not recommended for cats.
- Lightweight but large.
- Advertised as waterproof, but users have noted this is not 100% accurate.
- 2G SIM card needs to be purchased for use, in addition to a monthly data plan.
A great choice for owners who want a simple GPS dog tracker, it’s budget-friendly as long as you can find an affordable monthly subscription plan.[amazon box=”B07BQVXCR8″]
What to Look for When Shopping for Dog Trackers
Pet owners interested in buying a tracking device should be mindful of a few important factors when shopping, including the type of tracker, the size, price, and more.
Which Type of Tracker? GPS or Radio-Powered
Most tracking devices will fall into one of two categories: GPS or Radio-Powered. The utility of either one depends on what purposes you’ll need the tracker to fulfill.
GPS Dog Trackers
GPS powered trackers will incur a monthly fee to power their location services. A lot of these GPS trackers will also work over WiFi networks as well, so the average device-wearing pet will not need a large amount of cellular data use. As long as there is adequate cellular service in a given area, GPS trackers can provide a high rate of accuracy and real-time location.
With GPS pet trackers, you are able to view the history of a pet’s every move. You also can monitor health, physical activity goals, and even pet temperature through a phone app or online browser. This information can be made available to multiple family members, friends, and dog walkers.
Radio-Powered Dog Trackers
Radio frequency trackers require both the pet and human to wear a tag or transmitter. These tracking units boast a larger radius of location tracking and offer greater accuracy than their GPS counterparts.
These pet trackers also do not need any kind of cellular or monthly services, making their overall costs lower than GPS powered devices. However, radio-powered trackers tend to be a more expensive upfront investment. These trackers are generally more rugged. They are often geared toward hunting, hiking, or traveling.
Here are some other features to consider when shopping for a dog tracking system.
After you’ve decided on the type of tracker that you need, it’s important to consider size. Dog tracking systems have a weight requirement. You want a collar that is suitable for your furry friend in order to obtain the best results. Not only will you obtain inaccurate information when the wrong size is selected, but your pet may experience some discomfort.
You’ll be surprised to find that battery life varies greatly depending on the tracking system. Some require you to charge them every few days while others can last up to several months. If you don’t like or often forget to charge gadgets, go with a tracker that includes a long battery life.
Then of course you want to think about price! Setting a budget in place will make sure you purchase a tracker you’re happy with and can afford. Remember that the cheapest option out there is not always the best one. There are several high-end trackers that cost under $100—you just have to look for them!
This feature doesn’t necessarily affect your dog collar. However, if a problem arises, you want to purchase from a company that will be able to answer your questions. A customer care team that is available when you need them most is a must! Look for warranties, user-friendly manuals, and a team that responds quickly.
Dog Tracker FAQ
Is there a GPS chip for dogs?
Many dogs are microchipped, but this chip does not have GPS tracking capabilities. If your dog is lost and has a microchip, a good Samaritan may take them to a vet to get scanned to identify their owner’s information. The microchip is not traceable, however, and won’t help you to find your dog’s location.
How can I track my dog’s location?
You can track your dog’s location with a GPS tracker for dogs! GPS trackers are relatively inexpensive and can sit on your dog’s collar comfortably. That way, if your dog is ever lost you can use the GPS tracking to locate them quickly and bring them home safely.
How long does a GPS tracker battery last?
Depending on the dog tracker you choose, the GPS tracking battery life varies. Our top pick, the Whistle GO Explore, has a battery life of 20 days, which is great for dog owners.
Can I use Tile to track my dog?
Tile Mate trackers do not use GPS, so putting one on your dog’s collar is not a surefire solution to find them if they ever get lost. Other Tile users may recognize the Tile Mate beeping on your dog’s collar and realize that he or she is lost, but it will not track your dog’s location as it moves.
Final Thoughts on GPS Trackers for Dogs
At the end of the day, the purpose of tracker is to keep your pet safe. For a versatile, dependable, and high-performance dog tracker, the Whistle Go Explore is our top contender. For a tracker that doesn’t require a monthly service and works off-grid and for multiple pets, the Findster Duo is an excellent choice.
All the items reviewed here are great options for a tracker that will help you watch out for the four-legged companion in your life. See our reviews of multiple trackers to help you decide which pet tracking device fits your lifestyle and needs best. You can also keep track of your pet with a pet camera to monitor them during the day!