Chances are that surfing the internet, streaming shows or movies, or gaming is a part of your everyday life. Because we are so heavily reliant on all things online, a WiFi router is arguably the most important piece of home technology we have.
It’s crucial to have one of the best wireless routers that will optimize your connectivity while still landing in your budget’s sweet spot.
Top Wireless Routers
We’ve rounded up what we believe to be the best WiFi routers currently out there to make your buying decision that much easier.
These are the Best WiFi Routers:
- NETGEAR Orbi Ultra-Performance Whole Home Mesh WiFi System
- Google WiFi System
- Linksys Tri-Band Wifi Router
- eero Pro mesh WiFi system
- TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
- ASUS Dual-Band Gigabit WiFi Gaming Router
- TP-Link Smart Hub & Whole Home Wifi Mesh System
- NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router
- D-Link Exo Wifi Router AC2600
- ASUS RT-AC66U B1 AC1750 Dual-Band WiFi Router
NETGEAR Orbi Ultra-Performance Whole Home Mesh WiFi System
This is an outstanding router choice, as it can perform higher on its own than other systems with multiple nodes. It’s stylish enough to blend into your home and won’t break the bank, making it our top choice for a wireless modem this year.
Read our full review of the NETGEAR Orbi WiFi System.
- No more dead zones: Whole home mesh WiFi coverage of up to 5,000 sq. ft. and 25+ devices. Mesh technology helps you stay connected as you roam around your home using a single network name. Extend coverage up to 2,500 square feet with additional satellites.(sold separately)
- Tri-band backhaul: A dedicated band between your Orbi router and satellite frees up the other two bands for maximum speed to your devices
- Works with all internet providers: replace your existing wifi router and extender (separate modem or gateway required). Compatible with any internet provider including cable, satellite, fiber, DSL, and more
- Wired Ethernet port & fast wireless speed: 1 Gigabit Ethernet port and AC3000 WiFi powers up to 3Gbps of streaming HD video, gaming, or Internet surfing and downloads
- Parental controls: Pause device internet access, view site history usage, and filter websites for free. Set online time limits, schedule device internet access and more for Dollar 4.99/month. (1st month free trial)
Google WiFi System
As far as mesh WiFi systems go, this is probably the best router for it. Instead of needing multiple extenders to achieve full connectivity in your home without dead spots, you can simply use a few Google points and link them with a QR code. This option has smart Bluetooth technology, TX beamforming, and AC 1200 Wave 2 WiFi.
Read our full review of the Google WiFi System.
- A new type of connected system that replaces your router for seamless wifi coverage throughout your home, helping eliminate dead zones and buffering
- Network assist technology keeps your connection fast by always selecting the clearest channel and fastest band for your devices; WiFi throughput: 1200 MPBS.
- A simple app gets you set up quickly and allows you to see what's connected, prioritize devices, and pause the WiFi on kids' devices
- A single WiFi point covers up to 1,500 square feet, a set of three covers homes up to 4,500 square feet WiFi points work together so you can add more if you need additional coverage
- 24/7 phone support from google; 1 year warranty; material: plastic
Linksys Tri-Band Wifi Router
This multi-purpose router from Linksys comes with features like 8 GB Ethernet ports so you’re never limited on your wired devices. In addition, its tri-band performance will eliminate buffering for super-fast speeds. With their proprietary app, you can even control your devices and set parental controls for young ones.
Read our full review of the Linksys Tri-Band Router.
- Provides up to 3,000 square feet of Wi-Fi coverage for 25+ wireless devices
- Works with existing modem, simple setup through Linksys App
- Enjoy 4K HD streaming, gaming and more in high quality without buffering
- Tri band router delivers the fastest combined Wi-Fi speeds to all your devices
- Tri band Wi-Fi speeds up to 5.3 Gbps (5 GHz / 1000 Mbps) + (5 GHz / 2166 Mbps) + (2.4 GHz / 2166 Mbps)
eero Pro Mesh WiFi system
With the eero Pro Mesh WiFi system you can expect to find features like modular network coverage, dynamic rerouting, security software included. On top of that, it’s sleek, modern design will look great anywhere in your home while eliminating dead zones.
Read our full review of the eero Mesh System.
- Whole-home WiFi system - The Amazon eero Pro mesh WiFi system (1 eero Pro + 2 eero Beacon) replaces the traditional WiFi router, WiFi extender, and internet booster by covering a 2-4 bedroom home with fast and reliable internet powered by a mesh network.
- eero 2nd generation - With the most intelligent mesh WiFi technology and powerful hardware, the eero 2nd generation WiFi system is 2x as fast as the original eero WiFi. Backwards compatible with 1st generation eero products.
- WiFi extender - The eero Beacon is a full-fledged WiFi access point that simply plugs in to standard outlets and easily extends your WiFi connectivity to every device with more reliability than the standard WiFi booster.
- Mesh network - Powered by proprietary TrueMesh technology, the eero mesh WiFi network leverages multiple wireless access points to create an incredibly dependable internet experience, all on a single mesh WiFi system.
- Quick & easy setup - Replacing your old WiFi router has never been easier than with the eero Pro mesh WiFi system. Setup takes minutes and the companion mobile app makes managing your home WiFi simple and intuitive.
TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
The TP-Link AC1750 Smart Router performs like an incredibly expensive router while still landing at an affordable price point. Its feature set includes two USB 2.0 ports, four GB LAN ports, and plentiful management settings. This is a great budget friendly pick.
Read our full review of the TP-Link Smart Router.
- JD Power Award ---Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Router for wireless internet, works with Alexa, compatible with all Wi-Fi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Dual band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high speed internet(450mbps for 2.4GHz, 1300Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering and ideal for 4K streaming
- 3 external antennas for long range Wi-Fi
- Gigabit Router with 4 Gigabit LAN ports, fast access to multiple connected wired devices, Ideal as a gaming router
ASUS Dual-Band Gigabit WiFi Gaming Router
This ASUS option is chock full of features like 8 Gigabit LAN ports and 4×4 MU-MIMO. If you’re looking for a way to improve your gaming without jumping to a wireless mesh system, this is the best solution for you.
Read our full review of the ASUS Gaming Router.
- 1024 Qam technology 80 percent faster 5 GigaHertz at up to 2100 Mbps, 66 percent faster 2. 4 GigaHertz at up to 1000 Mbps; utilities: firmware restoration
- 33 percent greater 2. 4 GigaHertz coverage with a 4 transmit, 4 receive (4T4R) antenna design, able to reach our widest ever coverage up to 5000 square feet
- Expansive connectivity options: with exclusively has 8 x Gigabit LAN ports for up to eight Ethernet compatible devices to connect simultaneously
- Powerful 1. 4 GigaHertz dual core processor, faster USB data transfers enjoy up to over 100 MB/s Speed and the router download/UPLOAD speed (WAN LAN throughput) up to 1. 8 Gaps
- Smart Connect automatically chooses the best band available for you, Dimensions: 11. 8 x 7. 4 x 3. 3 inch (WDHP).
TP-Link Smart Hub & Whole Home Wifi Mesh System
The biggest feature of TP-Link’s newest whole-home WiFI solution is that it’s actually a 2-in-1. Not only do you get wireless connectivity even in larger homes, but it also acts as a home automation control center. Other features include anti-malware protection and parental controls that are easy to understand.
Read our full review of the TP-Link Smart Hub Mesh System.
- Whole home coverage – cover up to 4, 500 sq. Ft. With seamless, high-performance Wi-Fi and eliminate dead zones and buffering
- Faster tri-band speed for more devices
- Intelligent Wi-Fi network – Deco M9 Plus unites your home under a single Wi-Fi name and password while delivering the best connections as you walk from room to room
- Built-in smart hub – Connects your ZigBee, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi smart home products, saving you the cost and space of extra hubs and control them all from the intuitive app. Operating temperature -10 to 40 degree Celsius
- Protect your smart home – safeguard your home network and every connected device against intruders, viruses and malware with advanced Wi-Fi encryption and comprehensive Antivirus by Trend Micro
NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router
This is arguably the best WiFi for large homes or spaces. With features like MU-MINO data streaming, lightning-fast speed, and an enterprise-level 10G SPF+ LAN port, it certainly impresses. Got a lot to plug in? There are plenty of LAN and USB ports to make connecting as easy as possible.
Read our full review of the NETGEAR Nighthawk.
- Fast wifi performance: Get up to 2000 square feet wireless coverage with AC2300 speed (Dual band up to 600 + 1625 Mbps).
- Recommended for up to 35 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices.
- Wired ethernet ports: plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 gigabit ethernet ports.
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a dual core 1GHz processor, 3 amplified antennas, Beamforming+, MU-MIMO, Dynamic QoS, Smart Connect, Amazon Alexa Voice Controls, and more.
- Usb connections: Share a storage drive and printer with any connected device, and create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere, using the 1x3.0 and 1x2.0 USB ports.
D-Link Exo Wifi Router AC2600
Your signal will always be clear thanks to the D-Link Exo AC2600’s four antennas. With standard WPA, WPA2 and WPS security protection and parental controls, you’ll never need to worry about your system getting compromised. A year’s worth of tech support means you can troubleshoot any problem that arises.
Read our full review of the D-Link Exo Router.
- AC2600 Dual band router: WiFi speeds of upto 2600 Mbps (800 Mbps in 2.4 gigahertz + 1733 Mbps in 5 gigahertz) to support more connected WiFi devices to your high speed home network
- Stream, game, and more: Enjoy 4K/HD video and online gaming simultaneously with 4 x 4 data streams and 4 high performance antennas
- Dual Core Processor: The dual core processor gives you powerful wired and wireless internet network speeds
- Multi user MIMO technology: Significantly improves simultaneous streaming on multiple devices
- Advanced Smart Beam: Tracks your connected devices for enhanced WiFi speed and range throughout your home
ASUS RT-AC66U B1 AC1750 Dual-Band WiFi Router
This router has a number of features that anyone who likes to stay connected will appreciate. Four wired LAN ports, three antennas, and two bands mean powerful internet performance. Stay protected with specialty security features and parental controls.
Read our full review of the ASUS Dual-Band Router.
- 1GHz CPU powers dual-band 3x3 802.11ac Wi-Fi technology for speeds up to 1750Mbps and wide, responsive coverage for large homes. Coverage area - 3,000 square feet
- Monitor and manage your network with ease from your mobile device using the intuitive ASUS Router App; Firewall：SPI intrusion detection,DoS protection
- Effortless router setup with ASUSWRT web-based interface. OS Support - Linux,Windows 8,Windows 10,Windows 7 ,Mac OS X or higher,Windows 8.1,Windows XP
- Integrated USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports enable printer sharing throughout your network and remote file access with AiCloud 2.0 support
- AiProtection Powered by Trend Micro provides multi-stage protection from vulnerability detection to protecting sensitive data
Find the Best Home Router
With a little bit of extra time and research, you can discover what features and benefits make a router great. You can also learn about the drawbacks of different products and make a smarter consumer decision.
Use our guide to lead you to your best wireless routers and stay connected all year long!
Last update on 2021-04-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API