A self-cleaning litter box is a game changing piece of technology for cat owners.
Imagine: You’ve invited your closest friends over for a lovely wine and dinner night. Everything is perfect for a night of relaxing. Then, as soon as they arrive, you see it —the disgusted look that says, “What is that SMELL?!” If they’re really your friends, they probably won’t say this out loud. But the dreaded curl of your friend’s nose when they step into the room says it all: You forgot to clean your kitty’s litter box. Or worse – you HAVE cleaned it, but somehow, it didn’t make a difference.
Try as we might, it may sometimes feel like the stench of cat litter is permanent. But fear not! There is still hope! By regularly cleaning your litter box, you can reduce the impact of that oh-so-distinct smell. The even better news?
You don’t even have to clean your litter box yourself anymore.
That’s right. One of the many life-changing technological advances made in the last decade or so is the miracle of self-cleaning litter boxes.
In this guide, we’ll give you the scoop in our reviews of the best automatic litter boxes that 2020 has to offer. Keep reading for the ultimate selection of the best self-cleaning litter boxes!
- 1 Best Automatic Litter Boxes
- 2 Automatic Litter Boxes – Reviews
- 2.1 CatGenie Self Washing Self-Flushing Cat Box
- 2.2 PetSafe Scoop Free Ultra Automatic Self-Cleaning Hooded Cat Litter Box
- 2.3 Omega Paw NRA15 Improved Roll n’ Clean Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- 2.4 Omega Paw EL – Ra15-1 Elite Roll ‘n Clean Litter Box
- 2.5 LitterMaid LM680C Automatic Self-Cleaning Classic Litter Box
- 2.6 SmartScoop Basic Green Self-Scooping Cat Litter Box
- 2.7 LitterMaid Multi-Cat Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- 2.8 Our Pets Smart Scoop Intelligent Bluetooth Litter Box Self-Cleaning Health Monitoring System
- 3 Buyers Guide: What to Consider When Buying a Litter Box
- 4 The Takeaways
Best Automatic Litter Boxes
These amazing creations take all of the mess and hassle out of cleaning a litter box. You can wipe that responsibility clean off of your slate! Not to mention, you’ll never have to handle a nasty poop-scooper or breathe in that noxious litter-dust cloud again. Check out the top-rated self-cleaning litter boxes.
These are the Best Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes:
- CatGenie Self Washing Self Flushing Cat Box
- PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Automatic Self Cleaning Hooded Cat Litter Box
- Omega Paw NRA15-1 Improved Roll ‘n Clean Self Cleaning Litter Box
- Omega Paw EL-RA15-1 Elite Roll ‘n Clean Litter Box
- Littermaid LM680C Automatic Self-Cleaning Classic Litter Box
- SmartScoop Basic Green Self-Scooping Cat Litter Box
- LitterMaid Multi-Cat Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- Our Pets Smart Scoop Intelligent Bluetooth Litter Box
CatGenie Self Washing Self-Flushing Cat Box
First up is the CatGenie. This is, by far, the most extensive and technologically advanced of the bunch. This robot litter box basically acts like a toilet – and looks like one too!
This electric litter box hooks up to a water outlet in your bathroom or laundry room. It uses a specialized solution to sanitize and rinse the granules, and to liquefy the solid waste. Then, it flushes everything down the drain, just like a toilet!
No more having to carry bags of waste around the house, no more odor, and no more dust or tracking. This litter box cleans itself with SaniSalution. It uses washable granules in place of clay, and dries those granules so they’re ready for the next use.
- Set it up once and never worry about it again
- No replacing litter
- No scooping pet waste
- No cleaning the litter box
- Have to buy replacement SaniSolution cartridges
- Have to have enough space to hook up to water source
- Is large and bulky
- Can only accommodate up to 3 cats
This electric cat litter box is definitely a gem. But, to be fair, it’s probably more luxurious than most of us need. If cost is not an issue for you, this is one of the top products (if not the top) on the market for self-cleaning cat boxes.
- Automatic cat box flushes waste away and washes itself clean
- Uses litter-like Washable Granules not clay litter to satisfy cats need to dig and cover
- Ideal for 1-2 & no more than 3 cats of average size and 6 months or older
- Requires hookup to cold water and electrical outlet
- Includes recyclable SaniSolution cartridge and 1 Box of Washable Granules. CatGenie is 19.25inches wide in front, 16inches wide bottom back, 17.5inches top back, 21inches high, 24.5inches deep allowing for hoses. Water Supply Hose 8feet long, Drain Hose 10feet long
PetSafe Scoop Free Ultra Automatic Self-Cleaning Hooded Cat Litter Box
This unit has a slim silhouette and takes up minimal space while providing prime cleaning capabilities. It uses crystal litter instead of clay (less mess and less tracking) and refillable cartridges. All this means you never have to get your hands dirty. You simply pull out the covered cartridge when it’s time to replace and toss the used one.
- Automatically sifts waste
- Stays keeping clean for weeks
- Crystals absorb urine and dehydrate solid waste, removing bad odors
- Easy clean-up
- Motion sensors and health counters track how often your kitty is using the bathroom
- Can leave 1 tray for 1 month (for 1 cat)
- Have to purchase new cartridges every few weeks
- High initial cost of the whole unit
- Slightly bulky
- Have to replace tray more often for multiple cats
This is a great, affordable, entry-level automatic litter box for those of you who are just wetting your toes into the robot litter box realm. It won’t break the bank to start, and replacement trays cost about as much as monthly litter. You stand only to gain from buying this product!
- AUTOMATICALLY REMOVES WASTE: No scooping, cleaning or refilling your cat's litter box for weeks
- UNBEATABLE ODOR CONTROL: Crystal litter removes smell by absorbing urine and dehydrating solid waste
- NO MORE MESSY FLOORS: Low tracking crystals are 99 percent dust free and don’t stick to your cat’s paws; a hooded cover helps keep kitty litter inside the box
- LEAK PROTECTION: Disposable trays have plastic lining to help protect against leaking and keep your floors clean
- EASY CLEANUP: Simply remove the tray and throw it away; each tray includes a lid for quick disposal
Omega Paw NRA15 Improved Roll n’ Clean Self-Cleaning Litter Box
If cost is #1 on your list of concerns, this is definitely the box for you. At a low starting price point, you get all the perks of a self-cleaning litter box without the expensive bells and whistles. Simply roll the box over, and the waste gets sifted into a trap. The waste is pre-positioned into a scoop, so all you have to do is pull it out and dump it!
- Most affordable self-cleaning litter box
- Easy to use
- Doesn’t require electricity
- No replacement cartridges
- No direct handling of waste
- Involves a bit of work to remember to roll the box
- Requires indirect handling of the waste via the scoop
- Takes up space to roll
- Not big enough for large cats
For those of you who just hate getting a face full of smelly dust and scooping up individual clumps of poop but don’t need the most high-end thing on the market: this litter box is for you! This virtually takes out all the worst parts of cleaning the litter box.
- Self cleaning
- Easy to use
- Cleans in seconds
- Does not require electricity, liners or filters
- Suitable for small to Medium cats
Omega Paw EL – Ra15-1 Elite Roll ‘n Clean Litter Box
This is a higher-end model of the previous Omega self-cleaning kitty litter box. It features chrome accented locks and a bolder color for a more streamlined look.
- Looks better (better colors, chrome accents)
- Bonus step to reduce tracking
- All pros from previous model apply
- Costs slightly more than base model
- No extra features to improve functionality
If color and aesthetics are important to you, you’ll want to opt for this model over the previous, cheaper model. Both units work the same, save for the step on this version.
- Self cleaning
- Easy to use
- Requires no electricity, filters or liners
- Cleans in seconds
- Bonus litter step, chrome accents, signature Midnight Black Color
LitterMaid LM680C Automatic Self-Cleaning Classic Litter Box
This fully automated automatic litter box has a mechanical drive that combs through to sift out waste and debris, similar to the PetSafe unit. This requires no work on your part, save for replacing the litter!
- Automatically combs through for waste
- High walls to reduce litter tracking
- Carpeted ramp hinders tracking from outside the box
- Specialized litter for optimum performance
- No need to buy litter cartridges
- Good for households with multiple cats
- More expensive than PetSafe unit
- Not aesthetically pleasing
- Moderately expensive
- Need to purchase/replace carbon filters for odor
While this is a solid option, there are other options in this guide that can offer more bang for your buck, at a better price point, too. That being said, the high walls and carpeted ramp do a world of good in keeping litter in the box and not on your carpet. It’s also great for homes where multiple kitties need to use the restroom.
- Automatic self-cleaning litter box removes waste and controls offensive odors
- High wall design perfect for single or multi-cat households; Carpeted ramp keeps litter from tracking outside of the box
- Recommend litter maid premium clumping cat litter for optimum performance
- Strong, durable drive mechanism; High side wall design; Removable automatic rake for easy cleaning; safety bar to stop rake in case of blockage
- Approximate Product Dimensions: 10" x 17.75" x 24.63" (Length x Width x Height); product weight- 13.1 pounds
SmartScoop Basic Green Self-Scooping Cat Litter Box
This automatic litter box has the same mechanism as Littermaid and PetSafe. But unlike those brands, it has the benefit of being able to use the litter of your choice. The actual unit is small and takes up less space than other comparable models on the market. It’s simple and easy to use and maintain.
- Can choose your own litter
- Power-cord activated mechanics
- Carbon filters remove offensive odors
- Quiet motor
- Must purchase replacement carbon filters
- Have to clean out litter tray eventually (only delays the inevitable)
If you – or rather your feline – has a specific brand of litter and nothing else will do, the SmartScoop is a good option. The luxury of a self-cleaning litter box is that you shouldn’t have to deal with the waste – at all. For the cost, you may find having to still clean a litter tray quite a bit of a disappointment. For fussy cats that need a particular litter, this is still one of the best options.
- Automatic cat litter box that conveniently scoops waste for you
- Removes odors with powerful activated carbon filters
- Eliminates need for daily contact with waste and dirty litter pans
- Self-cleaning litter box with a powerful yet quiet motor unit
- Works with your favorite clumping cat litter-- no need to buy special or costly cat litter
LitterMaid Multi-Cat Self-Cleaning Litter Box
LitterMaid offers a multi-cat version of their classic self-cleaning litter box with this product. While most of its features are parallel to the classic model, this one is specifically designed for multiple cats with a weight over 15lbs each. That’s a hefty litter box!
- Keeps litter box clean for up to 7 days
- Reduces frequency of scooping waste
- Carbon filters reduce bad odors
- High walls prevent scattering of litter
- Carpeted ramp prevents litter tracking
- It only keeps the litter clean for 7 days
- Price point is comparable to other, more robust options
- Must buy replacement carbon filters
- Have to clean waste filter every 7 days
While this product does offer some great benefits, some users might feel it is surpassed by its counterparts. However, if you have big cats or lots of them, this is a brilliant option.
- MULTI-CAT SELF-CLEANING LITTER BOX: This litter box has automatic scooping with a rake that removes waste for a clean, fresh start. It is designed to be used with multiple cats over 15 lb.
- LOW MAINTENANCE: When used as directed, the LitterMaid Multi-Cat Self-Cleaning Litter Box requires no daily scooping, meaning you have a scoop-free clean up for up to 7 days.
- ODOR CONTROL: Once the rake removes waste, the waste receptacles with carbon filters keep mess and odor contained.
- LITTER BOX DESIGN KEEPS AREA CLEAN: Designed with high walls to prevent litter scatter and a paw cleaning ramp to help prevent tracking around the box.
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDE: 4 waste receptacles, 4 carbon filters, 1 scoop and rake cleaner, 1 paw cleaning ramp
Our Pets Smart Scoop Intelligent Bluetooth Litter Box Self-Cleaning Health Monitoring System
This automatic litter box takes a bold step hand-in-hand with technology by offering Bluetooth notifications for changes in your cat’s litter box behavior! While its functionality is similar to PetSafe and LitterMaid, it has the added perks of a smartphone app – a smart way to monitor your cat’s health.
- Bluetooth notifications and smartphone app allow for better health tracking
- Having an app for your litter box is pretty awesome
- App notifies you when it’s time to clean the litter box
- Litterbox automatically scoops waste 15 minutes after your kitty is done using
- Carbon filters aid in odor control
- Can use any clumping cat litter
- Reviews include some common complaints
- Have to purchase replaceable carbon filters
- There are better products for this price point
While there is definitely some promise to an intelligent, Bluetooth signaling litter box, there is still much to be developed until this technology lives up to its potential. For this price point, there are automatic cat litter boxes with much better reviews.
- Bluetooth pet health monitoring system sends you notifications only if there is a change in your pet's behavior, aiding in the communication between you and your pet
- IntelligentPetLink smartphone app makes it easy to monitor your cat's health, product performance, maintenance and usage
- Automatically scoops waste 15 minutes after your cat leaves the litter box into an enclosed waste bin with a carbon filter for superior odor control
- Works with any clumping cat litter
- Two-year warranty from the manufacturer
Buyers Guide: What to Consider When Buying a Litter Box
Now that we’ve gone into depth about some of the options available to you for self-cleaning litter boxes, let’s go over what to look for when searching for one on your own.
Price vs. Value
As we’ve seen above, a high price doesn’t necessarily mean you’ve found a premium product. Instead of looking for the most expensive litter box out there and assuming it’s the best, start by making a list of what you want this litter box to accomplish, and seek out products that match your requirements.
Sometimes, the cheaper model, albeit not as fancy and glamorous, may actually end up checking more of your boxes than that new-fangled-flying-talking litter box. Don’t be afraid to look at cheaper models, especially if this is your first automatic litter box! Then again, don’t skimp on something that’s supposed to make your life easier; you may end up paying for it in the long run.
Also: factor in how much replacement cartridges or specialized litter will cost. Break down the numbers of how much you are paying now, vs. how much the new unit would cost. Would it save you money in the long run, or at least simplify your life? If you’ll end up paying more per month for a self-cleaning litter box, and you value cost more than convenience, you may want to reconsider getting an automatic litter box.
Cat Health and Habits
The majority of automatic litter boxes work by a raking system. This is great if your cat is healthy and goes to the bathroom a normal amount. However, if your cat has any sort of disease, like a UTI, digestive problems, or diabetes, their waste may not be as solid, which will end up clogging the raking system.
If you have to keep cleaning out the rakes, this basically defeats the purpose of an automatic litter box.
Size and Number
Consider how many cats will frequent this litter box. Most litter boxes can only accommodate 1-3 cats. If you have more cats than that, you run the risk of having to trade out litter more frequently or having to get multiple litter boxes to handle the traffic.
Before making a big investment like this, make sure the litter box can accommodate all of your furry family.
Expectations vs. Reality
Consider how to clean a litter box. Basically: things get dirty, and we have to clean them. There is no escape! As much as we want technology to solve all of our problems while we sit on the couch sipping a glass of wine… we will, unfortunately, never be able to be completely exempt from supervising technology. Even if you get the BEST electric litter box on the market, you will have to clean something.
Not to mention, technology is not always reliable, so you may find yourself even having to repair parts. Eventually, you will have to clean the raking system, change trays or bags, clean litter off the floor, or clean the whole unit every now and again.
For a premium litter box, considering price, value, size, aesthetics, performance, and reliability, we recommend the PetSafe Scoop Free Litter box. This automatic litter box comes with glowing reviews and offers the most features for its price point. For those looking for a mid-level priced automatic litter box, you can’t go wrong with this choice!
For a sensible, affordable litter box, considering value and price, we recommend OmegaPaw NRA15. The price on this litter box is unbeatable, and its functionality eliminates the most tedious of litter-box cleaning tasks. These key points make the OmegaPaw litter box the most competitive option considering its features.
Now that you’ve equipped yourself with all the knowledge you need to find the perfect automatic litter box, go out and find one!
Check out other smart home devices for pets and humans: