In the past, swimmers were excluded from listing to personal playlists while in the water – for obvious reasons. Luckily, it’s now the year 2020: waterproof technology is improving fast, and swimmers get to join the fun too with waterproof headphones.
A good playlist can push you through a difficult practice and make doing endless laps a little more exciting. Plus, swimming is mostly a solitary sport, so it can become boring and difficult to stay motivated. Instead of relying on an outdoor speaker or underwater stereo system, wouldn’t it be nice to be able to listen to the music you enjoy?
Underwater headphones give you a personalized listening experience as you swim. These products can also be used for athletes who partake in other water sports like kayaking, paddle boarding, and surfing.
- 1 Best Waterproof Swimming Headphones
- 2 Waterproof Headphones – Reviews
- 2.1 Swimbuds 100% Waterproof Headphones
- 2.2 HydroActive Short-Cord Waterproof Headphones
- 2.3 Swimbuds Sport Waterproof Headphones
- 2.4 H2O Audio 100% Waterproof Headphones
- 2.5 Swimbuds Flip Headphones and 8GB SYRYN Waterproof MP3 Player
- 2.6 Pyle Waterproof MP3 Player Swim Headphone
- 2.7 i360 Bluetooth 8GB Waterproof MP3 Player Earphones
- 2.8 Sony Wireless Sport Headphones
- 2.9 Sony NWWS413LM 4GB Sports Wearable MP3 Player
- 2.10 FINIS Duo Underwater Bone Conduction MP3 Player
- 3 Buyer’s Guide – What to Look for When Buying Waterproof Headphones for Swimming
- 4 Enjoy Swimming with One of These Products!
Best Waterproof Swimming Headphones
There are plenty of headphones made for swimming, but not all waterproof headphones are right for the job. Some are cheaply made, don’t stay in your ears, and some aren’t quite as waterproof as they claim.
In this guide, we’ll introduce you to 10 of the best waterproof headphones for swimming, to help you find the pair that’s right for you.
These are the Best Underwater Headphones of 2020:
- Swimbuds 100% Waterproof Headphones
- HydroActive Short-Cord Waterproof Headphones
- Swimbuds Sport Waterproof Headphones
- H2O Audio 100% Waterproof Headphones
- Swimbuds Flip Headphones and 8 GB SYRYN Waterproof MP3 Player
- Pyle Waterproof MP3 Player Swim Headphone
- i360 Bluetooth 8GB Waterproof MP3 Player Earphones
- Sony Wireless Sport Headphones
- Sony NWWS413LM 4GB Sports Wearable MP3 Player
- FINIS Duo Underwater Bone Conduction MP3 Player
Waterproof Headphones – Reviews
Swimbuds 100% Waterproof Headphones
The Swimbuds 100% Waterproof Headphones are great for all types of swimmers. They come with multiple earbud tips so every athlete gets the right fit. To further contribute to your comfort, these headphones come with a half-ounce tube of FitGoo, Swimbuds’ signature earbud lubricant.
These headphones are targeted to agile swimmers who perform flips and turns. They come with a short 10-inch cord that can be tucked away in your swim cap. This short cord doesn’t catch or snag easily, so you can swim without needing to constantly untangle or readjust the cord.
These headphones are multi-purpose, so there’s no need to shop around for another pair for above the surface. This set comes with a 39-inch audio extension cord for everyday use, as the regular cord is short and designed for tucking away while swimming.
- Second generation HydroBeat technology
- Half-ounce bottle of FitGoo
- 39-inch audio extension cord
- Good price
- Short cord
- Waterproof seal
- Comes with different earbud sizes
- Wired headphones can get in the way
- Not the most durable product on the market
These underwater headphones are an affordable option for active swimmers and triathletes.
- 100% Waterproof with gold plated stereo jack to prevent corrosion.
- Flanged ear buds create a tight seal and are designed to stay in during flip-turns
- No more stuffing long headphone cords under your swimcap or goggle strap!
- Waterproof audio extension cord included for when you need a longer fit
- Find your best fit: 4 earbud tip options and FitGoo earbud lubricant included
HydroActive Short-Cord Waterproof Headphones
You can sport the HydroActive Short-Cord Waterproof Headphones whether you have a swimming cap on or not. Because they wrap around the back of your neck, there is no excess wiring to get in your way.
Unsure if they’ll fit in your ears? This set comes with 11 different ear tip options, so you’re bound to find the fit that’s right for you. Each earbud tip features a patented rigid design that prevents water from entering your ears. The headphones’ unique funnel shape offers superior audio quality.
This HydroActive product is built with durability in mind. The wires are encased with para-aramid synthetic fiber, which is the same material used in racing tires. They’re built to withstand the drag that you may experience when swimming. They still work even 10 feet underwater, so you don’t have to worry about staticky tunes.
- Earbud styles include ergo tips, tree tips, round tips, and fin tips
- 3.5mm jack
- Works up to 10 feet underwater
- High price
These underwater earbuds are great for serious water athletes looking for a long-lasting product.
- HydroActive is a new generation of waterproof headphones that combine an extremely waterproof technique with the simplicity of a wrap-around band and 3.5 mm headphone jack
- Best used for: swimming laps, SUP, kayaking, aqua-aerobics, canoeing and most other aquatic activities.
- Outstanding Features: Easy to get on and off; wrap-around design doesn’t interfere with head gear
- What’s New: Multiple protection chambers make this one of the most watertight of all headphones. Keeps sound clear and un-muffled
- One Year Warranty
Swimbuds Sport Waterproof Headphones
The Swimbuds Sport Waterproof Headphones are a step up from Swimbuds’ original model. The tips offer more versatility and security. For example, the mushroom tips are ideal for casual use, while the ergo tips are great for swimming laps.
Compared to the original Swimbuds earphones, the sport edition is much more durable. They feature an improved design, stronger cords, and a 1-year warranty (and an optional extended warranty).
Users have praised these headphones’ bass. They offer clear audio for music and podcasts. You can use them on iPods or any music player with a 3.5mm jack. The jack will last for the long term, as it is gold-plated to prevent corrosion.
- 4 different styles of earbuds: 3 sizes of tree buds, 3 sizes of fin buds, 1 pair of mushroom buds, and 4 sizes of ergo buds
- Third generation HydroBeat sound
- A short cord of 1.3 feet
- A longer cord of 3.25 feet
- Better quality materials
- Short and long cord for versatility
- May take some experimenting to find the right-sized earbuds
- They may stick out from your ears
The Swimbuds Sport Waterproof Earbuds are a great upgrade, and the small increase in price makes them a worthwhile investment.
- The successor to Underwater Audio’s wildly popular Swimbuds Classic, Swimbuds Sport offer lower drag, greater comfort, and 3rd gen HydroBeat technology for truly optimized sound
- Includes 11 pairs of earbud tips in 4 unique styles. You’ll find your perfect fit, guaranteed. Do NOT use Ergos (clear) earbuds with FitGoo earbud lubricant.
- Swimbuds were the world’s first short-cord headphone designed specifically for swimmers. Swimbuds Sport continue our tradition of hassle-free earbuds with an extra short 40cm cable.
- Super secure: Swimbuds Sport are designed to be worn tucked into your goggle strap just above your ear. Insert the earbud with the cable pointing upwards, run the cable under your goggle strap, then remove all cable slack between the strap and your ear.
- 100% Risk Free: Enjoy a full 1 Year Warranty, made possible by stronger body construction, reinforced cords, and a 100% watertight seal.
H2O Audio 100% Waterproof Headphones
As they have the highest waterproof rating of IPX8, the H2O Audio 100% Waterproof Headphones can endure heavy rain and perspiration. They can also withstand depths of up to 12 feet underwater.
H2O Audio has been producing headphones since 2003, so they are well-versed in creating a high-quality experience for users. The brand incorporates high-quality internal sound components in this product to produce clear sounds underwater.
To ensure a perfect fit, the headphones come with 5 rounded tips in XS, S, M, L, and XL. There are also 3 tree tips included in sizes small, medium, and large.
These earbuds will work with all devices, from headphones to MP3 players. They are sized on the smaller side, so they fit snugly in your ears. They’ll stay put during laps and most water other water activities.
If you’re a regular swimmer, you’ll benefit from this product’s 1-year warranty. If a bud goes out or the jack corrodes, the company will send you a new pair at no cost.
- 3.6-foot cord
- 1-year warranty
- Premium bass
- Fun black and blue color scheme
- Align with ear canal well
- Long cord with no alternative option
The H2O Audio 100% Waterproof Headphones is a fun, cheap pair of earbuds for swimmers and other athletes alike.
- Connectivity Technology: Wired
- SUPERIOR SOUND. Our Waterproof headphone technology uses the highest quality internal sound components to produce the best possible sound under water with premium bass.
- HIGHEST WATERPROOF RATING. 100% waterproof stereo earphones that can withstand heavy perspiration, rain, and complete submersion to 12ft/3.6m underwater with an IPX8 rating.
- PEACE OF MIND – Buy with confidence! Our product includes industry leading 1 YEAR WARRANTY. We are a small business and stand behind all the products we make.
- COMFORTABLE & EASY TO USE. Designed for athletes by athletes with innovative and highly satisfying technology. Ergonomic sheared shape sits flush with the ear and is designed to promote proper alignment of the ear bud with the ear canal making it comfortable for you. Includes 5 sets of high quality earplugs (XS-XL) and tree tip set to ensure that these earphones stay securely in place while in activity.
Swimbuds Flip Headphones and 8GB SYRYN Waterproof MP3 Player
The Swimbuds Flip Headphones and 8GB SYRYN Waterproof MP3 Player are a great combo deal. They work in unison to give you an enhanced listening experience. No need to shop around separately for the player and headphones, as this package includes them both.
The player has a sleek red and black design that is built to last. There is an included goggle clip that lets you secure the player to your goggles. The player’s embossed buttons let you switch songs easily, even while in the pool.
The headphones are designed with comfort in mind. Choose from 4 different styles of earbud tips for optimal usability.
The player supports WMA and MP3 audio formats. It can store up to 2,000 songs, so you don’t have to be selective when choosing which songs to store!
These products come with a 1-year warranty, so you can return them if there are any factory defects.
- Pause, play, previous, and next buttons
- Shuffle feature
- 8GB of storage
- Goggle clip
- Half-ounce tube of FitGoo included
- Easy-to-push buttons
- Volume control on the player
- Ample storage
- Shuffle feature may repeat the same songs
This combo includes everything you’ll need for listening to music underwater.
- 100% waterproof! SYRYN MP3 and Swimbuds Flip both meet stringent IPX8 waterproofing standards.
- Large, tactile buttons make the SYRYN easy to operate, even mid-stroke. Engage the onboard shuffle feature to instantly refresh your favorite playlists on the fly.
- Includes 4 unique earbud sizes/styles so that you can keep your sanity and forget the nuisance of ill-fitting earbuds.
- SYRYN MP3 and Swimbuds Flip work in harmony for an obstruction free swim! Attached low-profile goggle clip secures the player in your natural slipstream, perfectly within reach of Swimbuds Flip’s extra-short, snag-free cable. (Cable extension included for jogging, climbing, etc)
- 1 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty means that you are completely protected from factory defects! Buy now RISK FREE.
Pyle Waterproof MP3 Player Swim Headphone
The Pyle Waterproof MP3 Player and Swim Headphones is a more affordable bundle deal. They are designed for long-term use in the water and can withstand depths of up to 10 feet.
The player features a built-in rechargeable battery that charges within 2 hours. You’ll never be without your music, as the player can last up to 10 hours on one charge.
With 4GB of storage, you can store around 1,000 songs. The simple touch buttons on the headphones let you play, pause, skip and adjust the volume without needing to touch the MP3 player.
Plan to use this product in and out of the water. The headphones come with 2 sets of water-blocking earbuds for use in the pool and 3 pairs of active sport earbuds for running and dry-land sports.
- 2-hour charge time
- 10-hour battery life
- 2 water-blocking earbuds
- 3 land-use earbuds
- 4GB of storage
- Long-lasting battery life
- Decent storage
- Some users have found the headphones more functional when doing surface-level swimming only
This is an affordable MP3 player and headphone set for beginner swimmers.
- Fully Submersible: WaterProof and durable (IPX8) the MP3 player and headphones are designed for long period use in water; Designed for sports like swimming, running, fitness, exercise and the like
- Music File Management: Easy drag and drop files from iTunes for Mac or Windows and enjoy multi format playback with MP3 and WMA compatibility; Built in with up to 10 hours of battery life on one charge you'll never be caught out again
- Flexible Non Interfering Headphone: Pyle’s flextreme mp3 player is universally sized bendable and adjustable for all head shapes; Wrap around style earphone are made to fit flexibly for your active lifestyle and slide on in seconds
- 4GB Flash Memory: Quick connect combination charging and data transfer cable that save hours of music; It has Simple touch control buttons; It also Includes 2 pair of water blocking earbuds in water use and 3 pair of active sport earbuds on land use
- Benefits: Pyle 2 in 1 Mp3 with headphone has water blocking earbuds so, there is also no risk of water getting between the music and your inner ear; You can listen and scan to your favorite music underwater, no matter what the activity is
i360 Bluetooth 8GB Waterproof MP3 Player Earphones
These waterproof Bluetooth headphones are great for the multi-sport athlete. Enjoy Bluetooth capabilities when you run, bike, or hike – meaning no wires to tuck in or get in your way. Stream music wirelessly from services like Amazon Music, Deezer, iTunes, or Spotify.
If you’re planning on doing some underwater listening, you’ll need to use the MP3 player. It can hold up to 2,400 songs so you can enjoy a wide variety of your music!
The headphones come with different earbuds for water and land use. This way, the headphones will fit securely in your ears as you swim or run.
Volume adjustment, pause/play, and shuffle control buttons are all located on the side of the earbuds for easy access. Dive up to 10 feet without experiencing muffled music.
- Drag and drop file management
- Flexible head mount
- 8 GB of storage
- Supports WMA and MP3 files
- Continuous playback for up to 10 hours
- Bluetooth connectivity doesn’t work underwater
- Flimsy design
If you want earphones and a player with Bluetooth capabilities on land, this may be the product for you. They also work great as an MP3 player underwater.
- BLUETOOTH ENABLED: The classic i360 MP3 player has just got better! The new i360 Black Edition MP3 is now Bluetooth enabled. Connect to any Bluetooth enabled device for music streaming from Spotify, Deezer, Amazon Music, iTunes and any other music streaming service. Please note: Bluetooth connectivity will not work underwater. If swimming use the MP3 player function only
- WATERPROOF PERFECTION: Let the music you love power you underwater through lap after lap whilst swimming or running with the MP3 Player you will get continuous playback up to 10 hours, Perfect for Swimming, Running, Training, Walking in the gym and all other outdoor/indoor activities
- POWERFUL: 8GB built in memory for your music playlist that holds up to 2400 songs
- WIRELESS: Perfect addition to your workout! Listen to your music wirelessly. With this MP3 player you can do all the activities you love without the cord getting in your way!
- IN CONTROL: Convenient control for play/pause, shuffle and volume on one side of the ear bud
Sony Wireless Sport Headphones
These Sony Wireless Sport Headphones are ideal for swimmers and runners. Runners can enjoy Bluetooth connectivity. The Smart-B trainer component records your heart rate, calories burned, and steps taken. You also have access to real-time voice coaching and customizable training plans.
While these aren’t Bluetooth swimming headphones, they can still be used in the water when they’re connected to an MP3 player. They come with specific earbuds for use in the water, which do a great job of creating a tight seal.
The player has 16GB of storage, so you can have access to up to 4,000 songs.
- GPS tracking
- Smart-B Trainer chooses tracks that match the tempo of your target heart rate
- 6 integrated sensors
- Records 11 different measurements (including distance traveled, heart rate, pace, and steps)
- Good quality sound (balanced treble and bass), even underwater
- Ability to share your fitness progress on social media
- GPS takes a while to work
- No ability to create your own playlists with the MP3 player
These waterproof wireless headphones are great for the athlete who’s looking for a higher-end product to motivate them through their workouts.
- All-in-one advanced fitness trainer and 16GB music player
- Six sensors measure 11 types of training data
- Voice guidance and audio coaching
- Basic training with eight built-in programs
- Waterproof and washable
Sony NWWS413LM 4GB Sports Wearable MP3 Player
The Sony NWWS413LM 4GB Sports Wearable MP3 Player can be used in both fresh and saltwater. These can be used for long durations without worrying about corrosion or staining – you can go up to 6.5 feet deep with these headphones and player. In addition to withstanding water, they can also be exposed to dirt and sweat without compromising their functionality.
The Sony NWWS413LM comes with one set of swim earbuds and one set of regular earbuds, so you can easily switch them out based on your exercise plans for the day.
Loading the player is easy: you can drag and drop songs onto the MP3 player from Windows or Mac computers. This device is compatible with a variety of file types, including AAC, WMA, linear PCM, and MP3 files.
The regular charge can give you up to 12 hours of playback. If you’re in a pinch, a quick 3-minute charge can give you 60 minutes of playback.
- 12 hours of playback
- Can use up to 6.5 feet deep
- 4GB of memory (around 1,000 songs)
- Ambient noise function
- Compatible with many file types
- Long-lasting playback
- Secure behind-the-ear design
- 3-minute charge can provide an hour of playback
- On the higher price end
This wearable Sony Sports MP3 Player is a great moderately-priced product for active swimmers.
- 4GB Sports Wearable MP3 Player, Waterproof: For use in salt & fresh water up to 2-meters deep, Sweat resistant, dust proof design endures through the toughest training conditions
- Ergonomically designed for a secure fit and long-lasting comfort, Ambient noise function so you aren’t isolated from the world around you, Up to 12-hours playback
- Drag & drop from iTunes for Mac or Windows, Playback MP3, WMA, AAC, and Linear PCM Audio Files, Supplied: USB dock, regular & swim earbuds (1set each), adjustment loop, Hi-Speed USB 2.0
FINIS Duo Underwater Bone Conduction MP3 Player
Now, here’s something a little different. If you can’t get waterproof earbuds to rest in your ears while you swim, this MP3 player from FINIS is worth considering. It uses bone conduction audio transmission to play music in the water, without you needing to insert anything into your ear canal.
The player comes in two pieces which rest on your temple bones rather than in your ears for a clear listening experience. Attach both pieces to your goggles and get swimming!
- Sleek black and green design
- Bone conduction audio transmission
- Supports MP3 and WMA audio formats
- 4GB of storage
- Integrated clip
- You don’t have to worry about earbuds staying in your ears
If you don’t want the hassle of earbuds not staying put, try out the FINIS Duo Underwater Bone Conduction MP3 Player.
- Bone conduction audio transmission amazingly clear sound in the water without the Use of ear buds
- Supports MP3 and wma audio formats compatible with iTunes; listen to music, audiobooks, podcasts and more
- 4GB of storage stores approximately up to 1000 songs or 60 hours of playback. Mac OS Users: Please empty the Trash on your computer before connecting the Duo to the USB
- Integrated Clip design secures the device to goggle straps to rest on the cheekbones for a comfortable and streamlined fit
- Waterproof Ipx8 to 3 meters and 30 minutes sound is clearest when submerged in water.Please refer user manual attached below for instructions and troubleshooting steps.
Buyer’s Guide – What to Look for When Buying Waterproof Headphones for Swimming
Buying a pair of headphones to use on dry land is pretty simple… but finding some that work well underwater requires a little more research.
Read on to learn what you should consider when purchasing a pair for yourself.
Waterproof vs Water-Resistant
While waterproof and water-resistant are often used interchangeably, there is a notable difference.
Water-resistant headphones will withstand a heavy drizzle or workout sweat, but may not fare well in deep water.
If you’re looking for truly waterproof headphones, you should opt for ones with an IPX8 rating. Headphones of this rating are specifically built to operate while fully submerged underwater.
What Kind of Water Will You Be Swimming In?
It’s recommended that you rinse your headphones out with fresh water after every use. Adopting this practice will help them last longer and prevent corrosion and staining.
How Will You Listen to Music?
To use your waterproof headphones or earbuds, you’ll need a device that’s able to play music underwater.
Some modern smartphones are marketed as waterproof. However, they may not be able to withstand continuous underwater use.
Before buying a pair of underwater headphones, make sure you find a compatible device. In our product reviews, we included some bundle packages and music players that don’t even require headphones, giving you everything you need to get in the pool and go.
What Depth Do You Usually Swim In?
If you like to freestyle your way across the pool’s surface, you can get away with a cheaper pair of headphones. If you go a little deeper, you’ll need a set that can survive greater depths and stay put in your ears.
Consider your specific sport and activity level to determine what kind of depth you’ll need your swimming earbuds to withstand.
Enjoy Swimming with One of These Products!
With a strong set of swimming earbuds by your side, you’ll never have to endure a tedious swim practice again.
If you’re a multi-sport athlete, you may want waterproof wireless earbuds so you can have a wire-free listening experience on land.
If swimming is your main trade, you can enjoy wired swimming headphones at a fraction of the price.
Consider your preferences before settling on a final purchase decision!
Check out other Top-Rated Headphones and Earbuds:
- Best Noise-Cancelling Earbuds
- Best Wireless Headphones
- Best Noise-Cancelling Headphones
- Best Running and Workout Headphones
- Best Over-Ear Headphones
Last update on 2020-07-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API