There are two general categories of headphones: In-ear and Over-ear. In-ear headphones are often called “earbuds” and they are much smaller than their over-ear counterparts, which rest on or around the ear.
Over-ear headphones refer to the larger headphones that rest over your head and on top of your ears. While earbuds have become the standard, many people prefer the classic over-ear headphones. The best over ear headphones can offer great sound experience.
- 1 Top 10 Over-Ear Headphones
- 1.1 These are the Best Over Ear Earphones:
- 1.2 Beats Studio3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Over-Ear Headphones
- 1.3 Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H4 Wireless Headphones
- 1.4 Bowers & Wilkins PX Active Noise Cancelling Wireless Headphones
- 1.5 Bose Noise Cancelling Wireless Bluetooth Headphones 700
- 1.6 Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless
- 1.7 Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- 1.8 Plantronics BackBeat PRO 2
- 1.9 JBL Live 650 BT NC Around-Ear Wireless Headphones
- 1.10 beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro Studio Headphone
- 1.11 AKG K175 Studio Headphones
- 2 Final Thoughts
Top 10 Over-Ear Headphones
Trying to decide on a pair of the best over-ear headphones but don’t know where to start? We’ve put together this guide to help!
These are the Best Over Ear Earphones:
- Beats Studio3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Over-Ear Headphone
- Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H4 Wireless Headphones
- Bowers & Wilkins PX Active Noise Cancelling Wireless Headphones
- Bose Noise Cancelling Wireless Bluetooth Headphones 700
- Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless with Active Noise Cancellation
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Plantronics BackBeat PRO 2
- JBL Live 650 BT NC, Around-Ear Wireless Headphone
- beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro Studio Headphone
- AKG Studio Headphones
Beats Studio3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Over-Ear Headphones
These headphones are pricey, but Beats are known for being high quality at a high price. The noise cancelling option is convenient and easy to turn on or off, the headband is comfortable, and the 22-40-hour battery life is hard to beat.
- High-performance wireless noise cancelling headphones in matte black
- Compatible with iOS and Android devices.
- Pure adaptive noise canceling (pure ANC) actively blocks external noise
- Real-time Audio calibration preserves a Premium listening experience
- Up to 22 hours of battery life enables full-featured all-day wireless playback
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H4 Wireless Headphones
If you’re after a beautiful and mid-price pair of headphones, these are the perfect pick, with four colors to fit your style. They don’t feature noise cancellation, but they have decent battery life, convenient on-ear controls, and they’re light enough to take anywhere.
- Premium wireless, over-ear headphones with Bang & Olufsen signature sound
- Designed with clean lines, minimalist expression and a focus on the pure essentials
- Up to 19 hours of battery life with Bluetooth 4.2
- High quality headphones made with leather, aluminum and steel. Sensitivity: 91 dB/mw @ 1kHz
- In the box: beoplay H4 headphones, Audio cable, USB cable and quick start guide
Bowers & Wilkins PX Active Noise Cancelling Wireless Headphones
These over ear headphones have it all—adaptive noise cancellation, fantastic battery life, and even their own app. It has built-in sensors to play and pause when the headphones are put on and taken off, and they connect to the user’s phone through the PX app to customize sound and functionality.
- Bowers & Wilkins PERFORMANCE - PX draws on decades of Bowers & Wilkins design experience to take you to the very heart of the music with its breath-taking performance
- ADAPTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION - Perfect sound anywhere - on a plane, in the street or in the office. The best adaptive noise cancelling headphones, customizable to your exact preference. Battery life- Up to 22 hours BT/ANC. Up to 29 hours BT/no ANC. Up to 33 hours ANC/wired. Up to 50 hours wired/no ANC
- FEEL MORE OF YOUR MUSIC - Built with the same drive units from our P9 Signature headphones, the PX provides optimized listening performance. We have also subtly angled the drivers to provide a more natural stereo perspective. Impedance: 22 ohms (passive)
- PX RESPONDS TO YOU - When you need to pause, lift an ear cup. Put PX down and it goes to sleep. Pick it up to resume playing. Worry less about your headphones and enjoy your music more.
- SMART POWER - With a 22-hour battery life, PX is always ready; put it down and it goes into power-saving sleep mode; pick it up and you're good to go. PX is the smartest Bluetooth headphone on the market.
Bose Noise Cancelling Wireless Bluetooth Headphones 700
With 11 levels of noise cancellation, a carrying case, and other features like voice control, the Bose 700 is a great pick. There’s a touch control panel on the ear cup, and they function as a headset with a noise-isolating, four microphone system.
- Powerful noise cancelling headphones — 11 levels of active noise cancelling let you enjoy music, podcasts, videos & calls without distractions
- Astonishing sound — Crisp, clear details. Deep, full bass. These wireless headphones produce exciting, lifelike sound that’s full and balanced at every volume level
- Unrivaled voice pickup — A revolutionary microphone system adapts to noisy and windy environments so your voice always sounds crystal clear on calls
- Keep your head up and hands free — With easy access to voice assistants like Alexa and Google Assistant for music, navigation, weather, and more, and intuitive touch control on the earcups — you can stay connected without reaching for your phone
- Premium design and comfort — With a lightweight stainless steel headband and earcups tilted for the perfect fit, you can comfortably wear these Bluetooth headphones for hours
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless
These wireless over ear headphones connect via Bluetooth 4.0 and have touch control, voice prompts, and 3-way calling. The headband is stainless steel and foldable, and comes with a soft case. They have active noise cancellation and multi-device connectivity (2 devices at one time, 8 devices in the pairing list).
- Closed back, over ear design featuring Bluetooth technology and immediate pairing to smart devices using NFC connectivity for wireless freedom. Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- Noise Gard hybrid active noise cancellation blocks ambient noise using 4 microphones for ultimate isolation to dramatically improve sound quality in noisy environments
- 22 hour battery life with both Bluetooth and Noise Gard activated to ensure performance during long commutes or plane flights. Technology uses 2 built in microphones working seamlessly to improve voice quality and remove external noise during phone calls
- Two year warranty when purchased from an authorized Sennheiser dealer. Refer the user manual for troubleshooting steps..** VERY IMPORTANT ** Please Note: Detachable cable must be inserted into headphone until it "clicks" and twisted clockwise (to the right) to lock the cable in place
- Its especially low profile was optimized for the use on mobile devices.Fitted with jack plugs on both ends, the cable is completely detachable and can be replaced if necessary.
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
The 45mm drivers on these Audio-Technica headphones are large compared to others and ensure powerful sound, and they’re comfortable. The headband and earpads are padded with memory foam, and the aluminum casing around the drivers and metal headband are light and adjust to suit different sized heads.
- Designed to reproduce Hi-Res Audio, allowing you to hear your music the way it was intended
- Exclusive 45 mm True Motion Drivers improve transient response and minimize sound distortion for rich, detailed audio reproduction
- Features multi-layered air damping technology for extended mid-to-low frequency response
- Housings constructed of an aluminum/magnesium mix provide a lightweight, rigid structure that reduce unwanted resonance
- Three precisely placed vents within the layers work to control air flow and improve dynamics
Plantronics BackBeat PRO 2
With on-demand active noise cancellation, 24 hours of wireless connection, and the option for open listening, the Plantronics BackBeat PRO 2 delivers quality but doesn’t compromise on style. They have automatic music play/pause when headphones are put on or removed, and they feature NFC (near-field communication) for nearly instant connection to Bluetooth devices.
- Audio Quality: Immersive, high res sound, and powerful speaker drivers deliver the right balance of rich bass, crisp highs, and natural mid tones for your music
- Active Noise Cancelling Headphones (ANC):Switch on active noise canceling (ANC) to minimize ambient noise while working or traveling
- 24 Hour Streaming: Enjoy up to 24 hours of wireless music, movies and calls before choosing the cabled connection or recharging.Sensitivity (dB SPL/1mW):93.Impedance (Ohm):32
- Wireless Freedom: Stream rich, lifelike audio up to 100 meters/330 feet away from your Class 1 Bluetooth smartphone or tablet.Bluetooth v4.0
- Rigid Travel Case: Ear cups swivel flat to slip into the protective travel case ; Frequency response: 20–20,000 Hz
JBL Live 650 BT NC Around-Ear Wireless Headphones
These wireless headphones by JBL have a whopping 30-hour battery life, quick 2-hour charging, and more at a shockingly low price. They’re on the heavier side, but they look and feel great while delivering powerful sound.
- JBL Signature Sound
- 30 Hours Battery Life; 2 Hours Recharging Time
- Bluetooth technology.Bluetooth version: V4.2
- Active Noise Cancellation
- Ambient Aware and TalkThru Technology
beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro Studio Headphone
These are the headphones of choice for musicians and sound engineers around the world, delivering precise sound and high resolution plus noise isolation. They have 45mm dynamic Tesla neodymium drivers and connect via mini-XLR. They have soft, replaceable ear pads and headband and come with replaceable ear pads for ear comfort.
- Closed studio reference headphones for mixing, mastering, monitoring and recording, Made in Germany
- 250 ohms, 45 mm dynamic Tesla neodymium drivers
- Single sided, detachable cable with mini-XLR connectors.Nominal sound pressure level:102 dBSPL (1mW/500Hz)
- Soft, replaceable ear pads and headband for long studio sessions
- Delivery contents: 2 ear pads (velour and leathrette), 2 cables (coiled and straight, 3m), Premium carrying case.Headphone frequency response:5-40,000 Hz
AKG K175 Studio Headphones
These headphones have professional 40mm drivers, excellent sensitivity and low impedance, and the entire headset is foldable for portability. The hinge is all-metal and the ear pads are made of foam for lightweight comfort.
- Legendary AKG studio performance and comfort with an on-ear, closed-back design
- Large 40mm transducers for greater low-frequency extension as well as best-in-class frequency response for unrivaled clarity and detail
- Superior sensitivity and low impedance provide maximum output with a braod range of playback devices.
- Foldable, ergonomic design allows you to take studio-quality sound with you - fitting right into your backpack or computer bag.
- Headband self-adjusts for a perfect fit everytime and slow-retention foam ear pads ensure a comfortable, secure fit that also maximizes acoustic isolation
Buying a new pair of wireless or Bluetooth headphones is no small buy. It’s a big investment and can definitely be overwhelming if you don’t know what to look for. We hope this guide can help you find the best over ear headphones for you! Should you choose on-ear or in-ear headphones? Make the best choice for your needs!
Last update on 2021-03-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API