Research has consistently shown that there is a positive correlation between music and your performance while running or working out at the gym. So why not invest in a good pair of running headphones to keep you moving?
Now, this doesn’t mean that listening to music directly makes you perform better, but rather it influences your mental state and in turn your performance. Benefits such as synchronization of movement with music lead to increased endurance. This is why many people choose to invest in some of the best workout headphones available.
Having running earbuds can be adequate for most, but sometimes you just want to block out all the outside noise with your pair of headphones and focus on getting the best results from your workout.
- 1 Best Workout Headphones for Runners and Athletes
- 2 Running and Workout Earphones – Reviews
- 2.1 Jabra Elite Active 65t Earbuds
- 2.2 Powerbeats Pro Totally Wireless Earphones
- 2.3 Jaybird Vista True Wireless Bluetooth Sport Waterproof Earbuds
- 2.4 AfterShokz Air Open-Ear Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones
- 2.5 SoundCore Spirit X Sports Earphones by Anker
- 2.6 Powerbeats 3 Wireless Earphones
- 2.7 JBL UA True Wireless Flash Headphones
- 2.8 Bose SoundSport Wireless Headphones
- 2.9 Jabra Elite Sport True Wireless Waterproof Fitness & Running Earbuds
- 2.10 TBI Pro Bluetooth Headphones
- 3 Best Running and Workout Headphones – Buying Guide
- 4 Final Thoughts
Best Workout Headphones for Runners and Athletes
To help narrow down your shopping decision, here’s a list of the 10 best running headphones on the market. We are confident you’ll find a pair that suits your sporting needs, no matter your budget.
These are the Top Running Headphones:
- Jabra Elite Active 65t Earbuds
- Powerbeats Pro – Totally Wireless Earphones
- Jaybird Vista True Wireless Bluetooth Sport Waterproof Earbuds
- AfterShokz Air Open-Ear Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones
- Soundcore Spirit X Sports Earphones by Anker
- Powerbeats3 Wireless Earphones
- JBL UA True Wireless Flash Headphones
- Bose SoundSport Wireless Headphones
- Jabra Elite Sport True Wireless Waterproof Fitness & Running Earbuds
- TBI Pro Sport Bluetooth Headphones
Jabra Elite Active 65t Earbuds
Excellent sound quality, a terrific app, and sturdy battery life make the Jabra Elite Active 65t one of the best wireless sport earbuds out there. These are one incredibly comfortable pair of earphones, and its motion sensor and two year warranty sweeten the deal for any active athlete. The app acts as a great performance and stats tracker, nudging you gently to keep on breaking all your weekly records. It also comes with a heart rate sensor, which can be an added benefit if you need to monitor your heart rate during your workout or runs.
- 2-year warranty
- 5 hours of battery life (15 hours in total with charging case)
- Ear tips for comfortable fit
- In-app audio equalizer
- In-built accelerator meter for tracking runs
- Sweat and water-resistant
- Sleek design
- Comfortable fit
- Alexa, Siri, Google Assistant compatible
- Rapid charge feature
- Charging case can be difficult to open
At the current price, the Jabra Elite 65t are quite a spend, but these earbuds fit and sound perfect. You won’t regret splurging on these beauties.
- TRUE WIRELESS EARBUDS FOR AN ACTIVE LIFESTYLE Wherever your day takes you, whatever your activity, it won’t get in the way of enjoying sports, music and calls; The Elite Active 65t are secure fitting earbuds that provide dependable in ear stability
- PERSONALIZE YOUR SOUND Whether you’re using these as Apple earbuds, Samsung earbuds or more, you can listen to your music the way you want to hear it, by personalizing your sound on the Jabra Sound+ app; Earbuds are Apple and Android compatible
- NO AUDIO DROPOUTS With Jabra’s 3rd generation true wireless stability, you can take calls and listen to music without worry about audio dropouts; And there are no pesky wires getting in the way of your workout
- UP TO 15 HOURS OF USE With up to 5 hours of battery on a single charge, and up to 15 hours in total with the included pocket friendly charging case, your listening needs are met from the start of the day, to its end with these earbuds
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY : These sports earbuds are IP56 rated with a 2 year warranty against sweat and dust (registration required with the Jabra Sound+ app)
Powerbeats Pro Totally Wireless Earphones
If you are looking for the best wireless earbuds for working out, the Powerbeats Pro is your standout performer. With a battery life and fit that most of its rivals struggle to achieve, this is one of the best earbuds for running and working out, if not the best. Their sound quality is splendid and the Bluetooth connection is reliable and easy to set up.
- Class 1 Bluetooth technology
- Sweat-proof and waterproof
- 9 -hours battery life (24 hours in total when with the charging case)
- Each headphone has its individual controls
- Secure in-ear hooks for better fit
- Easy Bluetooth set up
- Durable battery life
- High quality sound
- Comfortable and stable fit for workout routines and running
- Bulky charging case
If you are wondering what pair of wireless workout headphones to get, the Powerbeats Pro is worth every penny. Especially more so if you already use an iPhone.
- Totally wireless high-performance earphones
- Up to 9 hours of listening time (more than 24 hours with charging case)
- Adjustable, secure-fit ear hooks for lightweight comfort and stability
- Reinforced design for sweat & water resistance during tough workouts
- Volume & track controls on each earbud, voice capability, and auto Play/pause
Jaybird Vista True Wireless Bluetooth Sport Waterproof Earbuds
The Jaybird Vista True Wireless are one of the best wireless earbuds for running. They come with cutting edge Bluetooth technology and are fully sweat-proof and waterproof. These next-gen wireless headphones are one of the best workout earbuds you can purchase off the shelf. You would be hard pressed to come across a pair of wireless headphones as sturdy as this performer.
- Compact case for carrying your earbuds around
- Sweat-proof and waterproof with IPX7 certification
- Bluetooth 5.0 technology
- 6mm dynamic audio drivers
- Jaybird app with an in-built sound equalizer
- Comfortable and ergonomic design
- Audio drivers produce good sound
- Fully waterproof
- Expensive when compared to similar models
In a keenly contested category, the Jaybird Vista headphones do quite a good job. The combination of a decent battery life, ultra-comfortable fit, and good sound make this an attractive option for most athletes looking for a wireless sports headphone to buy.
- Earth-proof: fully waterproof and sweat-proof IPX7 construction ensures Vista can withstand any workout or weather conditions.
- Always ready: Vista gives you 6 hours of audio on a full charge, Plus 10 more in the charging case for 16 hours of total charge and 32 hours If using one Bud alone. A quick 5-minute quick charge offering an hour of playtime.
- Connected: Vista’s cutting-edge JBS1 wireless technology ensures crystal-clear, zero-lag stereo sound for music and calls, and a reliable connection that pairs easily with your phone, every time.
- Go Light: Vista’s earbuds are among the smallest and lightest on the market meaning that you’ll literally forget you’re wearing them.
- Locked in: three sizes of interchangeable ear gels ensure a secure, ultra-comfortable fit that feels weightless in your ears during intense activity.
AfterShokz Air Open-Ear Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones
If you are tired of your headphones falling out while running or working out, the AfterShokz Air is a must-have. Lightweight, comfortable, and with a premium look and feel, these are headphones that will handle most of what you throw their way. They also have some quality sounding audio drivers and are great for running in traffic heavy areas.
- Premium Pitch software technology for wide dynamic range and rich bass
- Dual noise-canceling mics
- Leaks layer to reduce natural sound leakage
- Version 4.2 Bluetooth technology – compatible with Android, iPhone and your Mac and PCs and laptops
- Stick-on Reflective strips for use when running in traffic zones
- Wireless headphones
- Six-hour battery life
- Sweat-proof design
- Reflective strips make it a great option for running at night because drivers can see you no matter how poor visibility might be
- Bluetooth technology allows for pairing with multiple devices
- Lightweight design
- Long battery life
- Durable and long-lasting design
- No ear pain from extended use
- No skip back function
- Sound tends to bleed out to people around you if you increase the volume
- Quality seems a bit disappointing considering the price tag
The AfterShokz Air Open-Ear Wireless Bone Conduction Headphones are some of the most comfortable “all day” headphones you can get at the moment. The sound experience works okay for an everyday runner. It also allows you to keep a tab on what’s happening around you without disrupting your flow.
- included components: Retail Packaging
SoundCore Spirit X Sports Earphones by Anker
The SoundCore Spirit X by Anker are one of the best wireless headphones for running. Designed way better than its predecessor Anker SoundBuds Curve, these beauties can be used across various use cases. They are also really comfortable and have a stable in-ear fit for those workout routines that demand you move abruptly. The battery life is also quite impressive considering its price point.
- Ear hook design with stability hooks for added stability while running
- 10mm dynamic sound drivers
- 12-hour battery life
- Inline remote control
- Stable and comfortable fit
- Low sound leakage
- Portable design
- Long battery life after a single charge
- Mediocre noise isolation technology
- Fragile looking and thin inline cables
The Anker SoundCore Spirit X are decent sports headphones. Its stable and comfortable fit make it one of the best options if you are looking to get one of the best running headphones on the market.
- Truly sweat proof technology: sweat guard is specially designed to resist the corrosive properties of sweat.
- High-octane sound: 10 mm dynamic drivers, precision tuning, and exclusive bass up technology ensure spirit x’s Deep low-end is balanced by lush midst and crystal-clear treble.
- Extreme comfort: gentle over-ear hooks and softened silicone ear tips float effortlessly in place as you sprint, lift, and push your way to the limit.
- 12-Hour playtime: get sublime bass-driven sound for well over a week of workouts from a single charge.
- What you get: sound core spirit x, x-Small REMPTY/S/M/L/x-Large ear tips, S/M/L ear wings, 2 x cable clips, shirt clip, Micro USB cable, Travel Pouch, carabiner, our worry-free 18-month, and friendly customer service.
Powerbeats 3 Wireless Earphones
Featuring an improved fit and reliable battery life, the Powerbeats 3 are one of the best wireless headphones for working out. With little design tweaks here and there, Beats has improved on the Powerbeats 2 headphones. As usual, Beats signature sound profiles don’t disappoint with the Powerbeats 3.
- 12-hours of battery life
- RemoteTalk technology allows you to activate Siri, and take calls or listen to music effortlessly
- Sweat and water-resistant
- Improved design and fit
- Reliable battery life
- Very good sound compared to its alternatives
- Multi-point pairing
- Practical non-fluff features
- Not a significant upgrade on its predecessor
- Alternatives cost less
One in a line of quality headphones, the Powerbeats 3 is still a good workout headphone.
- Connectivity Technology: Wireless Connect via Class 1 Bluetooth with your device for wireless workout freedom
- Up to 12 hours of battery life to power through multiple workouts. Take calls, control your music, and activate Siri with RemoteTalk
- With Fast Fuel, a 5-minute charge gives you 1 hour of playback when battery is low
- Sweat and water resistance to handle tough training. Flexible, secure-fit earhooks maximize comfort and stability
- What's in the box: Powerbeats3 Wireless earphones, eartips with four (4) size options, carrying case, universal USB charging cable (USB-A to USB Micro-B, Quick Start Guide, warranty card
JBL UA True Wireless Flash Headphones
These JBL UA true wireless headphones are one of the best Bluetooth headphones for running. A product of a design collaboration between JBL and Under Armour, these headphones designed with runners in mind are quite good. Its battery life is quite impressive, combined with its great sounding audio drivers.
- 25-hour battery life with case
- IPX7 sweatproof and waterproof
- TalkThru technology to alternate seamlessly between music and calls
- Bionic hearing technology
- 5.8mm dynamic audio drivers
- 4 JBL microphone transducers
- Lengthy battery life
- Durable charging case
- Designed for runners
- Comfortable fit
- Bulky charging case
The JBL Under Armour has a rich and well-balanced sound in a well-built package. While some people might struggle to fit the buds into their ears, this is without any doubt an excellent set of headphones.
- Bluetooth wireless
- JBL signature sound
- Truly wireless for Sport
- 25 hours of total battery life
- Aluminum charging case
Bose SoundSport Wireless Headphones
While some of the wireless headphones for running struggle with producing great sound, the Bose SoundSport doesn’t seem to have such issues. Its Stay Hear+ in-ear tips also ensure your headphones stay in place no matter how tough your workout routines are. Bose also handles sound isolation very well as usual with these wireless earbuds.
- Exclusive Stay Hear+ in-ear tips
- Sweat and water resistant
- 6-hours battery life
- Bluetooth and NFC technology
- Splendid sound quality
- Comfortable and secure fit
- Very short battery life
- In-line remote box can be uncomfortable during workouts
Bose is famous for exceptional sound quality, and the SoundSports wireless headphones are no different. If you are looking for one of the best wireless workout headphones, check these out.
- A high quality audio experience, consistently balanced at any volume, thanks to Bose active EQ. Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- Wireless convenience, with easy Bluetooth and NFC pairing aided by voice prompts
- Exclusive Stay Hear and tips keep the headphones comfortably in place during workouts
- Sweat and weather resistance for reliability while exercising
- Up to 6 hours battery life per charge. Please refer the User Guide before use
Jabra Elite Sport True Wireless Waterproof Fitness & Running Earbuds
The Jabra Elite Sport is an athlete focused earbud. Customized fit, noise isolation, and lengthy battery life make these earbuds a great pick. home with. It comes loaded with perks such as heartbeat and accelerometer sensors. These additional features make these earbuds an absolute treat of a pair for any discerning athlete. You are also guaranteed durability with its three year warranty against sweat.
- 4.5 hrs of battery life plus 9 hours with charging case
- 3-years warranty
- IP67 waterproof rating
- Jabra Sport Life App for audio equalizer setting
- In-built heart rate monitor and motion sensor
- Splendid sound quality for working out
- Above average battery life
- Fairly accurate heartbeat sensors
- Sweat and waterproof
- Uncomfortable fit
- Large size may not fit everyone’s ears
- Bass-heavy sound not great if you are using it outside the gym
- Audio transparency doesn’t work great with situational awareness
These are one of the best gym headphones to purchase if you are a gym rat. They provide just enough quality sound and handle sweat and water comfortably.
- TRUE WIRELESS EARBUDS – Jabra Elite Sport earbuds offer superior sound for calls and music and advance wireless connectivity to ensure true performance. Two microphones in each earbud work together to filter our background noise and ensure clarity.
- SECURE CUSTOM FIT – Enjoy custom-fitting workout earbuds thanks to the 3 sizes of EarGels and foam tips included to give you the right fit that boosts music and call quality. Plus, 3 sizes of EarWings further enhance comfort and heart rate sensor.
- ALL-DAY POWER – Now with a battery that delivers 4.5 hours of play time coupled with a portable charging case, these Jabra wireless in-ear headphones give you 13.5 hours of power to keep you going.
- SPORTS EARBUDS – The in-ear precision heart rate monitor works with our integrated Jabra Sport Life app to track/analyze your fitness. Monitor absolute fitness level, have reps counted automatically, predict race pace and more. For all experience levels.
- WATERPROOF DESIGN – Jabra Elite Sport are waterproof earbuds that offer guaranteed durability. They have an IP67-rated waterproof design with a 3-year warranty against sweat damage (registration required via Jabra Sport Life App).
TBI Pro Bluetooth Headphones
This set from TBI Pro promises at least 10 hours of battery life from a single charge, which will hopefully last you throughout your week’s workouts. Made for gym-goers and runners, they’re comfortable to wear and are water- and sweat-proof so you can get motivated by your sports playlist in any weather.
- Clear Dolby Digital sound and noise cancellation
- Up to 12 hours’ playback time
- Intel QCC 3003 chipset – enables stable Bluetooth connection
- Built-in microphone
- Impressive sound quality
- Water and sweat-proof
- Get 12 hours of music from 2 hours of charging
- IOS battery indicator shows how much charge is left
- Customizable earplugs for comfortable fit
- Some customers have had issues with faulty batteries
Previous customers are delighted with the sound quality offered by the TBI Pro Bluetooth earphones. If you’re looking for comfortable earphones that cancel out background noise, this inexpensive little set could be for you. The only drawback could be some reports that the battery life isn’t as great as the company claims; though most reviews are highly positive.
- CLEAR SOUND AND DEEP BASS. 11 mm vibrating diaphragm delivers sonic detail with stereo balanced bass, lush midst and crystal-clear treble, balanced at any volume. Hi-Def sound is accompanied by cutting-edge CVC 6.0 noise reduction feature, which isolates you from external noise while making/receiving phone calls. Enjoy a harmonic and natural sound with smooth frequency response and low distortion in the entire frequency range.
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERY WITH UP TO 12 HOURS PLAYTIME. Listen to music for up to 12 hours on a single 2 hours charge. Get sublime bass-driven sound to power your workouts with stunning soundtracks for a week and do sports without worrying about the battery charge: the IOS battery capacity indicator shows the battery level and keeps you informed of the charge. Leading playtime is performed thanks to built-in 100 mAh polymer lithium battery with long standby time of 250+ hours.
- HI-END CHIPSET FOR STABLE BLUETOOTH 5.0 CONNECTION. State-of-the-art QCC 3003 chipset ensures Bluetooth 5.0 connection with low power consumption and stable signal transmission allowing you to free your music from smartphones, tablets, computers and other Bluetooth devices. Simple, instant and energy-efficient connection streams music at a range of up to 10m (33 ft) and provides a wide sound spectrum reproduced in detail from the deepest sub bass to the elevated transparent treble.
- RELIABLE IPX7 PROTECTION. Protective waterproof shell and inner nano-coating provide a pleasant sound, regardless of whether you sweat buckets or run in the rain. IPX7 rating does not allow weather conditions to limit your athletic capabilities. Waterproof Bluetooth headphones are tested on rainy days and their water resistance is confirmed by real athletes training in the field. The extremely robust but flexible reinforced wire construction ensures durability in everyday use.
- FIT AND FULL CONTROL. Soft and customizable ear plugs fit tight and will not fall even during intense exercise. Take advantage of ergonomic design: lightweight Bluetooth headphones sit almost unnoticed, fueling your workout with clear sound. Manage music or make hands-free calls with the built-in microphone and remote control. Designed specifically for sports purposes, durable Bluetooth headphones have passed 10,000 quality tests to ensure you long-term and reliable performance.
Best Running and Workout Headphones – Buying Guide
If you are an avid runner or gym rat, a great pair of wireless sport headphones is a worthy investment. While it’s easy to get swayed by bright colors and well written marketing copy, there are a few factors you must consider when trying to decide on which pair of headphones to buy.
Here is a quick guide for the major factors to keep in mind while searching for a pair of running and workout headphones:
While any pair of headphones can work for you when you exercise, they usually tend to fall apart if you get caught up in heavy rainfall while running. More importantly, they also don’t work properly once you get drenched in sweat.
This is why water and sweat resistance are must-haves for any pair of workout headphones you decide to buy. You don’t want your headphones suddenly going off in the middle of an amazing run because sweat has seeped into the audio drivers. The best part is all the headphones on this list are sweat proof and water resistant. If you’re a swimmer, they even make waterproof swimming earphones.
After waterproofing, you also need to consider the fit of your potential headphones. No matter how great your sports headphones sound, if you always need to adjust or put them back on your ears once you accelerate a bit or move abruptly, then you have a problem. Exercising involves a lot of abrupt movement and halts, which makes it vital that your pair of headphones fit securely.
Most headphone manufacturers use lightweight ear tips and curved fish-like hooks to fit the headphones snugly into your ear. It is important that the headphones are lightweight, as the weight of the headphone plays a massive role in how well they fit.
For wireless headphones, battery life is a major concern. After all, they need to have their own in-built battery to stay powered. We all know how volatile battery life can be from becoming accustomed to smartphones, and wireless earphones are unfortunately no different.
Most wireless earbuds often have between four to six hours of playback on a single charge. This, however, can increase to as much as fifteen hours with a carry case that usually doubles as a charger. Ideally, you can go a week without having to charge them again, once the charging case is fully charged. This involves essentially charging two things. But, this is a small price to pay to avoid getting tangled up in wires during your workout.
You definitely want any headphones you buy to come with decent sound quality. You probably also want to be able to hear the tunes of the music clearly as you workout, while blocking out the rest of the gym.
A Bose or Jabra product will offer you a really clear and detailed sound. While most of the other running headphones on the list will offer you a quality sound, although products vary. Good enough sound is subjective, and ultimately you make the final choice based on your preferences.
It’s important that you don’t totally zone out the rest of the world while running. It’s a bit safer to do this while in the gym, but you want to always be aware of everything happening around you while running outside. Even if you run in a relatively safe area, it is still advisable to be able to hear some outside noise while using your earphones.
Nothing is as frustrating as struggling to connect your phone to your brand new pair of headphones. It can also be rather annoying when the music cuts out halfway through your run due to poor connectivity or archaic Bluetooth technology.
Make sure to check the reviews to get a firm take on the quality of your earbuds connectivity.
Music is one of the best distractions when putting yourself through a grueling workout routine or run. There is nothing as frustrating as getting poorly-sounding wireless workout headphones or earbuds that don’t seem to fit properly. These issues can be frustrating, especially after you have parted with a substantial amount of money and you still can’t seem to get running or workout headphones that work perfectly.
This carefully curated list of running and workout headphones can get you burning up those calories in no time no matter your budget. So make a choice, order, and get the sweat out.