Smoke detectors are an essential life-saving feature of any property – should a fire break out in another room or floor of your house, these alarms alert everyone inside and around so they can get to safety. Since they came about, these have usually been battery-powered devices discreetly attached to the ceilings of your home.
However, like with most home appliances, technology has advanced enough to come up with more efficient and high-tech models of traditional smoke detectors. Now, yours can be integrated into your smart home hub along with your security, heating, and lighting systems.
With a smart smoke detector, you can get phone alerts to smoke, fire and carbon monoxide (CO) in your property even when you’re not there. These models can detect smoke and CO faster than battery-powered sensors, ensuring your home and family are safer than ever before.
- 1 Top-Rated Wi-Fi Smoke Detectors
- 2 Smart Smoke Detector Reviews
- 2.1 Google Nest Protect Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- 2.2 Ring Alarm Smoke and CO Listener
- 2.3 Samsung SmartThings ADT Smoke Alarm
- 2.4 Leeo Smart Alert Smoke/CO Remote Alarm Monitor for iOS and Android
- 2.5 Onelink Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector
- 2.6 First Alert Alexa Enabled Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector
- 2.7 Ecolink Zwave Plus Wireless Audio Detector for Existing Smoke/CO Sensors
- 2.8 Honeywell SiX Two-Way Wireless Technology Smoke Detector
- 2.9 First Alert Z-Wave Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarm | Battery Powered and Compatible with Ring Alarm Security System
- 3 What to Look for When Buying a Smart Smoke Detector
- 4 FAQ
- 5 In Conclusion
Top-Rated Wi-Fi Smoke Detectors
Interested in upgrading your home safety systems? Look no further than our top picks of smart smoke alarms available in 2020. Below, we’ll review our favorite systems that can be bought on Amazon so you can make the perfect choice for your home. Start learning about these amazing devices now!
These are the Best Smart Smoke Detectors:
- Google Nest Protect Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Ring Alarm Smoke and CO Listener
- Samsung SmartThings ADT Smoke Alarm
- Leeo Smart Alert Smoke/CO Remote Alarm Monitor for iOS and Android
- Onelink Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector
- First Alert Alexa Enabled Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Ecolink Zwave Plus Wireless Audio Detector for existing Smoke/CO sensors
- Honeywell SiX Two-Way Wireless Technology Smoke Detector
- First Alert Z-Wave Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarm
Google Nest Protect Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm
- Smart smoke detector senses smoke and CO in an instant
- Able to tell the location of smoke and carbon monoxide in the home
- Speaks to tell you what’s wrong
- 10-year lifespan
- Sends alerts to your phone, in case you aren’t home
- You can silence the alarm from your phone – for instances like burning the dinner when you know there’s no danger
- The Split-Spectrum Sensor can tell the difference between a fast and slow-burning fire
- Detects carbon monoxide as well as smoke
- Does not rely on home wifi for a connection
- Inability to interconnect with old alarm systems
- Inability to change settings after initial setup – further changes require a factory reset
The Google Nest Protect Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm is an excellent 2-in-1 smart smoke alarm option that detects both smoke and CO.
Voice commands and alerts are available in different languages, and you can get notifications to your smartphone if your Google Nest has a low battery or if there is smoke or a fire in your home. Though the new Google Nest is pricey and not backward-compatible with older versions of the Nest, its smart design is meant to keep you feeling secure both in and out of the house.
Ring Alarm Smoke and CO Listener
- Made for use with existing UL-listed smoke detectors and CO detectors that are 10 years old or less
- 3-year battery life
- $10/month 24/7 professional monitoring optional with purchase
- Small and lightweight
- Uses affordable, replaceable CR123A battery
- Manageable with other Ring products on the Ring app
- 1-year limited service and warranty included
- Requires separately sold Ring Alarm Security System for installation
The Ring Alarm Smoke and CO Listener is an exceptional accessory for the existing smoke alarms and CO alarms in your home. Though it does not detect danger in your house on its own, it allows you to listen in to your alarms from afar. It’s a small, relatively cheap product made to keep your home safe.
First-time buyers should know that the Ring Alarm Security System is required with this purchase. This means you will have to buy multiple products, like the Ring video doorbell for this one to work. The Ring smoke detectors and listeners work best in a set, and with the optional monitoring service, you can prevent fires in your home 24/7.
- Ring Alarm Smoke and CO Listener alerts you on your smart phone when your existing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors sound their alarms.
- This device does not detect fire, smoke or carbon monoxide and is intended to work with UL listed smoke and CO detectors that are 10 years old or less.
- Easy setup in minutes—without tools or professional installation. Requires Ring Alarm Security System (sold separately).
- Manage Ring Alarm Smoke and CO Listener and other Ring products with the Ring app.
- Battery life 3 years max. Batteries are replaceable.
Samsung SmartThings ADT Smoke Alarm
- Includes 2 CR123A batteries
- Wire-free installation
- Can include optional ADT professional monitoring service
- Easy wifi connectivity with QR code
- Detects smoke and extreme temperatures in the home
- Can connect with other smart devices like a phone or lights to receive alerts from the alarm
- Requires separate purchase of SmartThings ADT Security Starter Kit
- Cannot connect with SmartThings Hub or other ADT panels
The Samsung SmartThings ADT Smoke Alarm can detect extreme temperatures and smoke in your home with ease. Connecting to the SmartThings ADT Security Starter Kit is easy and does not require wires to set up. However, if you already have an ADT panel or a SmartThings Hub, this device won’t sync with either.
- Know when there’s smoke or extreme temperatures in your home
- Receive alerts or set lights and other connected devices to turn onand off when extreme temperatures or smoke is detected in your home
- Initiate optional ADT professional monitoring services
- Get ADT Professional Monitoring Services with low month to month rates and no long term contracts
- Requires an SmartThings ADT Security Starter Kit (F ADT STR KT 1). Will not pair with SmartThings Hub nor any other ADT panels
Leeo Smart Alert Smoke/CO Remote Alarm Monitor for iOS and Android
- Monitors already existing smoke and carbon monoxide alarms
- Ability to personalize its color with 16 million options
- Text alerts when alarms go off
- Provides local emergency numbers for you
- No installation – the device simply plugs in
- You can dismiss notifications, hear the alarm, and call 911 from the smartphone app
- Connects to home wifi
- Includes adjustable nightlight
- Disconnects with no wifi
- App has more features on a phone than a tablet
The Leeo Smart Alert Smoke/CO Remote Alarm Monitor is the best smart smoke detector monitor for those who want the easiest set-up possible. This device simply plugs into any normal outlet and can detect an alarm from anywhere in your house. Note that it is not a smoke alarm in itself – it’s an extension of your existing non-smart alarms. This device will send you notifications of alarms in your home when you’re out, meaning that help can be reached faster.
The device is reliant on wifi, so you have to make sure you have a reliable connection and smartphone with updated software. Buy today on Amazon for peace of mind about your property, wherever you might be.
- Monitors your existing smoke and carbon monoxide alarms 24/7 and alerts you via smartphone if your alarms go off
- Provides local emergency services phone number based on your home's address, no matter where you are
- Calls friends and family for backup if you don't respond to smoke and carbon monoxide alert notifications
- Requires iPhone 4S or later running iOS 8+ or Android phone with Bluetooth 4.0 and running 4.3+, In-home WiFi, U.S. residence address and ten digit phone number and free Leeo iOS or Android app. No international support.
- Easy setup - just plug it in, download the free iOS or Android app and connect to your home's Wi-Fi!
- 2-in-1 smoke and carbon monoxide detector
- Sends emergency notifications to your smartphone
- Voice alerts tell you the type of danger and its source
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa devices
- Notifications of smoke, fire, or CO in your home are sent directly to your phone
- Smartphone app is available on phones and tablets
- Ability to connect with Alexa
- Can connect to Apple and Android devices
- Requires home wifi for operation
- Battery version does not contain a nightlight (the wired version does)
- Hardwired version is more expensive
The Onelink Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector is an exceptional 2-1 smart alarm available this year. It connects to a wide range of smart devices like your iPhone, Android, tablet, or Alexa, so whatever type of kit you own, it can be used with this model. It can also link to up to 12 other smoke alarm devices, so you’ll always be aware of any dangers throughout your property.
This product is a strong contender among the best smoke and CO alarms out there. It requires wifi to use its smart capabilities, but the set-up is easy and when it doubt, customer service is also excellent.
- SMOKE + CO DETECTION 2-in-1 smart smoke and carbon monoxide alarm alerts you to both types of danger in your home, with a photoelectric smoke sensor and electrochemical carbon monoxide sensor
- MOBILE + VOICE ALERTS Alarm sends emergency notifications, via your phone, while voice alerts tell you the type and location of danger
- A HOME SAFETY NETWORK + ALEXA Interconnects with other Onelink devices (sold separately) to create a smart home safety network, so if one alarm sounds, all will; works with Amazon Alexa so you can ask Alexa to check the status of your Onelink alarm (Alexa device sold separately)
- EASY BATTERY CHANGES Easy-access battery door, for simple battery changes; replaceable 5-year battery
- COMPATIBILITY Compatible with Apple HomeKit; can be used on both Apple and Android devices
First Alert Alexa Enabled Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Introduces Safe and Sound – compatible with Alexa and uses a high quality, omnidirectional speaker
- Detects CO and smoke
- Package contains hardware, mounting bracket, instruction guide, user manual, and the Safe and Sound device
- Compatible with Apple HomeKit
- Uses First Alert’s OneLink Home App
- Combines First Alert’s reliability and Alexa’s smart device capabilities
- All features of Alexa can be used with this device, including playing music, checking the weather, and controlling smart devices in your house
- Can interconnect with any alarm system, whether they are by the First Alert brand or not
- Connects with Apple HomeKit
- The app allows you to check the battery as well as receive emergency alerts
- Higher price range
- Requires wired installation
The First Alert Alexa Enabled Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector is a smart Alexa smoke alarm you can use like a smart home device! Not only does it keep you safe from potential threats in your home, it also allows you to have all the functionality of an Alexa device – finally, you can play your favorite albums and get weather reports from your smoke alarm!
Though it’s a wired installation, it is an easy setup. First Alert and Amazon are also able to help with installation through customer service. You can buy this detector on Amazon today with free shipping with a Prime membership.
- ABOUT SAFE and SOUND: First Alert introduces Onelink Safe and Sound, an Alexa enabled, Apple HomeKit compatible hardwired photoelectric smoke and electrochemical carbon monoxide alarm, featuring a state of the art, omni directional speaker backed by First Alert’s unparalleled reliability and equipped with the power of Alexa
- EASY MOBILE CONTROLS: Get remote notifications of an emergency in your home for 24/7 safety, plus track carbon monoxide levels, customize nightlights, and more, using First Alert's Onelink Home app
- NO MORE CONFUSING BEEPS: Track battery levels in the app and optimize safety by knowing when it’s time to replace them. AirPlay 2 enables a wireless multi room audio system, creating an easy way to stream music anywhere in the home to different iOS and other AirPlay 2 compatible devices
- VOICE ALERTS: Key voice location technology announces the type and location of the danger in your home, keeping your entire home safe and connected during an emergency
- EASY TO INSTALL: Optimal ceiling placement enhances the speaker’s acoustic quality; make installation fast and easy by using the included AC adapter plugs to replace your existing hardwire alarms without rewiring (AC power is required for Onelink Safe and Sound)
- Listens to already existing smoke or CO detectors
- Compatible with SmartThings and Z-Wave home security hubs
- Package contains all tools necessary for installation
- Detection algorithms prevent false alarms
- Only one sensor is required to listen to your entire house
- Can detect smoke or CO distinctly
- 5-year battery life
The Ecolink Zwave Plus Wireless Audio Detector is built to help you listen to the devices that keep your home intact. Again, this is not a smoke alarm in itself, but it’s a great purchase if you want to ‘upgrade’ your pre-existing detectors so you can be alerted to danger when you’re not home. If you own Z-Wave or SmartThings hubs, the Ecolink will connect with them for extra coverage.
- AUDIO DETECTOR: Listens to existing smoke or CO detectors in the home and sends signal to your Z-Wave network
- NO FALSE ALARMS: No false alarms with patented detection Algorithms and professional security Grade Accuracy and performance
- 1 SENSOR FOR WHOLE HOME COVERAGE: In most homes, with hardwired interconnected smoke detectors, only one sensor need for whole home coverage
- 5 YEARS BATTERY LIFE: Five year battery life on one CR123A lithium battery
- Z-WAVE: Natively compatible with SmartThings, it works with most brands of Z-wave home security hubs like Vera Plus, Vera Edge, Vera Lite, HomeSeer, D-link staples connect and Piper NV. If your brand is not listed, (e.g. Wink or Alarm.com based security panels) compatibility cannot be guaranteed.Operating frequency: 908.42 MHz
Honeywell SiX Two-Way Wireless Technology Smoke Detector
- Has battery pull-tab, auto-enrollment, and a no-touch adjust to speed the installation process
- Compatible with Honeywell Lyric Controller
- HealthCheck feature provides battery information, signal strength, temperature, and other settings
- Contains 128-bit AES encryption
- Includes mounting hardware
- Simple wireless installation
- Encryption means extra security measures for your home
- Pairs with other SiX products for an all-in-one home system for heat, smoke, CO, and others sold separately
- Fewer Amazon customer reviews – lesser-known brand than some others featured on our list
- Does not detect CO
Though the Honeywell SiX Two-Way Wireless Technology Smoke Detector does not detect CO, it comes from a long, reliable line of devices. Each one is able to interconnect with the others to protect against any emergencies in your house. Buying a separate CO detector will keep you completely covered.
If you’re looking for a product that delivers, this detector is the way to go. You can purchase it today on Amazon, along with other detectors in the Honeywell brand.
First Alert Z-Wave Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector Alarm | Battery Powered and Compatible with Ring Alarm Security System
- Detects smoke and carbon monoxide
- Sends mobile alert when the alarm goes off
- Electrochemical detection
- 7 year limited warranty
- Batteries included
- 85-decibel horn with silence/test button
- Can be paired with Ring Alarm Security System
- 2-in-1 CO and smoke detector
- Reduces false alarms with photoelectric sensor
- Z Wave Gateway hub is necessary for connectivity to other devices, sold separately
- Not compatible with WINK or OneLink
The First Alert Z-Wave Smoke and CO Detector Alarm works wonderfully with the Ring Alarm Security System we mentioned earlier. It is able to detect carbon monoxide and smoke and send a notification right to your phone.
Buying a gateway hub or switching from other brands is worth it for this quality First Alert system. Buy it now on Amazon to have it delivered quickly to your door. The 7-year limited warranty ensures your device will work for you.
- Help keep your family safe with this battery powered smoke and carbon monoxide detector alarm
- Unit uses wireless Z Wave technology to send mobile alerts if the alarm goes off, so you are aware whether you're at home or away
- Certified to work with smart home systems such as Ring Alarm Security System, Samsung SmartThings, and Nexia Home Intelligence when connected to a Z Wave gateway hub (sold separately; consult hub manufacturer to ensure compatibility with this First Alert device); not compatible with WINK or Onelink
- Photoelectric smoke sensor helps reduce false alarms caused by cooking or shower steam
- Electrochemical carbon monoxide sensor offers advanced detection technology
What to Look for When Buying a Smart Smoke Detector
It’s an unpleasant truth: accidental fires can happen virtually anywhere. Whether you’re cooking in the kitchen or lighting the fireplace, there’s always the possibility that it could get out of control. That’s why the smoke detector was invented to keep you and your family safe.
Fast forward to today, and a smart smoke detector makes sense to keep your home fully secure. These devices surpass traditional smoke alarms in that they often connect to a smartphone to send you alerts anywhere, at any time. This way, if your robot vacuum starts smoking while you’re at work, you can keep an eye on your smart home. So, what are the features that make the best smart smoke detector something you should invest in?
When buying any new device or appliance, the pertinent question is: can I install it myself? With the best smart smoke detector, the answer should be yes. There are many smoke alarm options out there that can make it easy for buyers to install themselves, preventing having to pay out for a professional to do so.
Wired installations, like with the First Alert Alexa Enabled Detector, can be difficult depending on the level of their directions. However, many come with an instruction manual that will show you how to connect to your smart device step by step.
Wireless sensors are easy. In all likelihood, these will plug into your wall outlets. The Leeo Smart Alarm Monitor is a device that plugs in to listen to your various alarms, essentially transforming traditional smoke alarms into ‘smart’ ones by sending alerts to your phone when it hears them go off.
What sets smart fire alarms apart from traditional ones is its ability to connect to another smart device. If a detector or monitor has this WiFi connectivity, it is, by definition, a smart device. Look for this when you shop to make sure you’re not buying an older, less convenient product instead.
Most of these products will make a connection through your home WiFi router. This provides a better connection since it will be the closest to your own router You can often easily install your software through the use of an app on your phone or tablet. The only problem with this is that there’s a tiny risk your internet connection could fail meaning you miss an alert.
If you have more alarms in your house, it is important that your new smart fire detector can connect with the others. Often this means you will have to buy the same product for each position in your house, but some products are able to easily connect to other brands.
Products like smoke detector monitors are often only listening for the sound of your alarms. They do not detect smoke or CO themselves. The Ecolink Zwave Plus is an example of this type of product, and these are useful so you can avoid buying entirely new alarms for your house.
Today’s world is all about convenience. It’s important that you have a device that is the best quality with as many uses as possible. That’s why so many companies advertise fire, smoke, and carbon monoxide detection within one product. You won’t have to worry about checking on multiple systems or spending too much money.
Some detectors, like the Alexa Enabled brand, can detect all types of dangers while also acting as a speaker and Alexa device. Simply connect it to your wifi and setting it up with your other Amazon technology can help keep your entire house connected, without the hassle of many devices.
If your smart smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm use batteries, look into the smart battery life of these devices. Some may have battery alerts when they need to be replaced, which may offer peace of mind so that you know it’s always working.
How do Smoke Detectors Work?
Essentially, a smoke alarm has two parts: a high-frequency horn and a sensor. The alarm is meant to wake people up in case of an emergency after the sensors identify smoke or CO nearby.
Smart smoke detectors are able to send signals to your phone when there is an emergency. This is because they use wi-fi to access the internet and send messages to its corresponding app.
How Long do Smoke Detectors Last?
The average smoke detector has a life expectancy of 8-10 years. Though you should replace its batteries every year, the best products have high power batteries that will last the entire 10 years. If you’ve had your old alarm for 10 years or more, you are definitely overdue for a new model.
Where Should I put Smoke Detectors?
According to the National Fire Protection Association, you are required to have a minimum of one smoke alarm in every sleeping area, outside every bedroom, and on every level of the house. This means you should invest in multiple devices for your home for every inch of it to be best protected.
If there are levels without bedrooms in your home, you should put them in your family living area, near the stairway, and near the kitchen. The smoke alarms should be no more than 12 inches away from a ceiling.
Never install smoke detectors near air ducts, windows, or doors. The airflow in these areas can prevent the detection of smoke and carbon monoxide.
What makes a smoke detector smart?
Smart smoke alarms have extra features compared to your traditional smoke detector. These smart smoke detectors typically connect to your cell phone, so you can receive notice about any smoke detected even if you are not at home. This gives many customers peace of mind, knowing that they’ll receive updates if anything goes wrong while no one is at home.
The best smart smoke detectors have assorted features. These include notifications to your smartphone, as well as options to turn it off from your mobile device. No more waving kitchen towels at your smoke alarm every time you burn dinner – you can easily turn off the alarm from your phone if you’re home and you know that there is no danger. Our pick for the best smart smoke detector on the market today can even tell the difference between fast burning fires and slow, smoldering fires.
We hope you enjoyed our round-up of the best smoke detection devices available in 2020. Researching these things can allow you to make the most informed decision when you’re shopping for you and your family’s security.
When it comes to choosing a smoke and CO detector, it is clear that you should purchase a smart device. With WiFi connectivity and instant alerts to your smartphone, you can’t go wrong with anyone out of this line of products. Amazon has one of the widest selections of these detectors and many more, so be sure to buy yours today!