Drones have become one of the hottest new pieces of technology. Whether you use your drone for photography, racing, or just for fun, a drone can be a fun toy. They are also serious pieces of equipment, however, so not all drones should be in the hands of children.
Drones that are made for kids have added safety features, are easy to fly, and often have fun features. If your child wants a quadcopter, there are plenty of safe and affordable options. Be sure to consider your child’s age when buying a kids drone and teach them the proper safety tips and techniques so that they can enjoy their drone, accident free!
- 1 Top Kids Drones
- 2 Kids Drone Reviews
- 2.1 Altair 818 Hornet Beginner Drone
- 2.2 Potensic A20 Mini Drone
- 2.3 Holy Stone F181C RC Quadcopter Drone
- 2.4 Force1 Scoot Hand Operated Drone for Kids
- 2.5 Spacekey FPV WiFi Drone for Kids
- 2.6 Force1 UFO 3000 Mini Drone for Kids
- 2.7 Snaptain H823H Mini Drone for Kids
- 2.8 Holy Stone HS170 Predator Mini RC Helicopter Drone
- 2.9 Altair AA108 Camera Drone
- 2.10 Syma X5C Explorers Quadcopter
- 2.11 AirHogs Star Wars Millennium Falcon Quad
- 2.12 AirHogs Star Trek USS Enterprise Drone
- 3 How To Choose a Kids Drone
- 4 Types of Drones for Kids
- 5 Drone Child Safety
- 6 Find a Good Drone for Kids
Top Kids Drones
We’ve compiled the best drones for kids so that you can find the perfect toy drone for your child. These drones are simple to fly, compact, safe, and durable, so they can withstand some practice flights. Check out these kids quadcopters for a new toy, Christmas gift, birthday present, or an exciting surprise for your child!
These are the 12 Best Drones for Kids:
- Altair 818 Hornet Beginner Drone
- Potensic A20 Mini Drone
- Holy Stone F181C RC Quadcopter Drone
- Force1 Scoot Hand Operated Drone for Kids
- Spacekey FPV WiFi Drone for Kids
- Force1 UFO 3000 Mini Drone for Kids
- Snaptain H823H Mini Drone for Kids
- Holy Stone HS170 Predator Mini RC Helicopter Drone
- Altair AA108 Camera Drone
- Syma X5C Explorers Quadcopter
- Air Hogs Star Wars Millennium Falcon Quad
- Air Hogs Star Trek USS Enterprise Drone
Kids Drone Reviews
Altair 818 Hornet Beginner Drone
For a high quality drone at an affordable price, the Altair 818 Hornet Beginner Drone is a great choice. As the name suggests, this drone is easy to fly for beginners who have not piloted a drone before. At less than $200, this is one of the best drones for the money. If you want to buy a quality drone without breaking the bank, this is a great choice.
The Altair 818 Hornet was made with kids in mind: it has one-button take off and landing, so it is easy to begin and end your flights. It also has altitude control, making it easier to maintain a certain height while flying. This drone comes with three controller skill settings, so you can start on the easiest setting and work your way up. It has a long flight time, offering 15 minutes of flight. The Altair 818 Hornet is also safe to use inside.
This drone comes fitted with a 720p HD camera, and takes live videos or photos in first person view. The photos or videos can be automatically transmitted to your phone or tablet, or stay saved on the camera’s memory card. The Altair 818 Hornet Beginner Drone is a great choice for all ages and one of the best drones for kids.
- LONG FLIGHT TIME - The Altair 818 Hornet remote control beginner drone gets 15 minutes of flight time per battery and comes with 2 batteries in the box which gives you twice the flight to enjoy with your friends and family before recharging!
- STABLE FLIGHT, DURABLE CONSTRUCTION - This customized 818 Drone for kids and adults is very stable in the air because it has altitude hold and 1 button take off and landing to keep things simple so it's great for kids, beginners & the whole family!
- EASY TO FLY - The 818 Hornet has 3 controller skill settings so you can adjust to the pilot, take turns flying with brand new pilots and they'll love it! It's a great indoor drone as well so the fun never has to stop due to weather!
- AFFORDABLE CAMERA DRONE - Take live video and photography in first person view FPV with an fpv headset or your phone or tablet! (SD Card Not Included! Recommend Class 10 SD Card, Max Size 32 GB.) The under $200 dollar price makes the Altair 818 Hornet camera drone one of the best drones for the money.
- THE ALTAIR PROMISE - The Altair brand based in the USA out of Lincoln, Nebraska stands for quality, integrity and service. We stand by our products with service and make sure spare parts are available. For Under $200 you're getting a great drone!
Potensic A20 Mini Drone
Don’t want to spend too much money on a drone your kid might break? The Potensic A20 Mini Drone is less than $50, but still works great and is made with top quality features. This mini drone for kids is also compact and lightweight, so it’s an easy toy to pack. It’s dimensions are a small 3.5 inches x 3.1 inches x 1.25 inches.
The Potensic A20 Mini Drone has round propeller guards to prevent injury to your child as well as damage to the drone. It has an emergency stop button to land safely, and one-button take off and landing. This drone also has altitude control function for stable flight outdoors or indoors. It has 3 adjustable flight modes speed levels, so you can start slow while you learn to fly this drone.
The Potensic A20 has 2 detachable extra batteries for 12 minutes of flight time. It comes with spare propellers in case of accidents. This drone is made for kids age 8 and above. It comes in 4 colors: black, white, green, and American flag patterned.
- Having Fun for More Time : 2 detachable batteries and 3 adjustable speed levels deliver exciting flight experience for amateurs and advanced pilots alike.
- Fast & Agile: You could control the drone fly toward any directions by Remote Controller. Once expert, you could adjust it to the high speed and fly through the obstacle course hoops by Eagle Pro.
- Easy to Fly: With Altitude Hold, Headless Mode and One Key Taking-off / Landing, you could fly it without worrying about the direction and control it easier.
- Portable: It’s the width of an iPhone 5”. Besides, it’s extremely lightweight and easy to carry.
- Worry-saving & Convenient: It covers 12 months warranty and does not have to register FAA in the USA.
Holy Stone F181C RC Quadcopter Drone
The Holy Stone F181C RC Quadcopter Drone is another kid safe drone that is easy to use and inexpensive enough for children to practice with. It has a one-key return button and headless security system to prevent losing the drone and keep beginners at ease. The Holy Stone F181C also has one-key take off and landing for easy flight.
This drone has four speed modes, so it’s great for beginners and experts. The altitude hold function keeps the drone at its current level when the throttle is released. Once you get the hang of flying, this drone can perform 3D flips and rolls. It has a flight time of 7-10 minutes.
The Holy Stone F181C RC Quadcopter Drone also has a high quality camera for aerial photography. It comes equipped with 720p HD camera with a 4GB micro SD card included. Take amazing pictures and videos with this drone. It is made for ages 14 and up, so anyone younger should only use this drone with an adult present.
- Equipped with one key return & headless security system to assist beginners and help prevent losing the drone
- Altitude hold function: powerful air pressure altitude hold function allows the drone to hover at it's current height after releasing the throttle stick. Easy for you to shoot quality images or videos.
- One key 360° 4-ways flip (left, right, forward, backward), Continuous roll for perfect action and wonderful performance
- Come with two batteries (bonus battery) for longer flight time.
- Range: About 50-100 meters. Battery flight time: about 7-9 minutes. Charging time: about 80 minutes. No FPV (first Person View).
Force1 Scoot Hand Operated Drone for Kids
The Force1 Scoot Hand Operated Drone is perfect for younger children. It’s approved for kids as young as age four or five, so this drone is one of the safest for young kids interested in drones. This starter drone is not remote control operated – it uses motion sensors, so kids can use their hands to direct it. Hand drones for kids are often safer and easier to use. The propellers are guarded, so they won’t hurt their hands.
The motion sensor technology also helps this drone detect and avoid obstacles, so it’s less likely to crash and cause damage. The flexible shell won’t be hurt if it does hit something. The Force1 Scoot Hand Operated Drone for Kids is safe for indoor use, and small enough for kids to safely use and pack for trips.
This drone is great for one person, or for multiple kids to play with. It’s inexpensive and durable, so parents can rest assured that it will last. The Force1 Scoot Hand Operated Drone charges in an hour, and comes in three colors. It comes with a full refund if you aren’t satisfied!
- HIGH-TECH HAND OPERATED DRONE WITH NO REMOTE FOR EASY, HANDS FREE FUN: Anyone can fly Scoot - the best hand controlled drone for kids, tweens teens, grownups and everyone in between; Easy mini drone toys for boys or girls ages 4-5 years old and up w/ 1-Key Take Off/Landing and Altitude Hold
- THIS GRAVITY DEFYING FLYING BALL KIDS DRONE IS AN EXCITING GROUP PARTY GAME: Charge your hand drones for kids in under an hour w/ the included USB cable; Play multiplayer games with these epic flying orb drone toys for boys and girls
- FUTURISTIC HOVER BALL THAT MAKES THE PERFECT GIFTS FOR BOYS AND GIRLS OF ALL AGES: Scoot hand controlled drones for kids use high-tech infrared motion sensors to detect obstacles; These kids drones for beginners are definitely 2019’s top boy toys, girl toys and all around best kids drone
- TAKE YOUR SMALL SCOOT DRONE FLYING TOYS ANYWHERE: This cool flying ball drone is a gravity defying hover drone perfect for any room, office or dorm and teen boy gifts; These indoor drones for beginners make awesome travel toys, kids gifts and fun birthday party activities. Easy charging via USB port using your computer, laptop, power bank, phone charger adapters
- PERFECT MINI DRONES for KIDS, TEENS and ADULTS with ASSURED QUALITY: Have a hoot with Scoot, one of the hottest toys for boys and girls; We’ll provide a full refund if you’re not thrilled with our hand operated drone flying toys for boys and girls
Spacekey FPV WiFi Drone for Kids
For a kid who loves taking pictures, the Spacekey FPV WiFi Drone for Kids is a great pick. This quadcopter is very high quality, so it’s a good gift for kids and adults. It comes with a 720p, 30fps HD camera with a 120-degree wide angle lens that can capture panoramic views via aerial photography. You can watch and shoot your photos or videos in real-time through a connected smartphone app.
For the kids, this drone is also easy to learn to use. It has one-button take off and landing, headless mode, and altitude control, so learning how to fly this drone is simple. The outside of the blades are guarded with prop guards, so it won’t hurt anyone if it gets a little too close. It’s made of durable plastic, and it’s safe to fly indoors and outside. There are three speed modes, so beginners can start slow.
This pocket kids drone is compact and easy to store, with foldable blades for travel and storage. It has a low battery alarm warning so it won’t crash. Once you’ve gotten the hang of flying, the Spacekey FPV WiFi Drone even does flips and rolls.
- DRONE with 720p/30fps HD CAMERA Enjoy the flying and record wonderful moments from the air with awesome perspective. The 120-degree wide-angle lens captures true color and panoramic views.
- FOLDABLE STRUCTURE DESIGNFoldable blades make the drone small and portable.Take it wherever, great for travels, parties, sports and adventures.
- ALTITUDE HOLD FUNCTIONEquipped with an advanced barometer, this drone can perform altitude hold for more stable flight. Beginners can easily get to grips with it and take stunning pictures and video from the sky immediately.
- Wi-Fi Real-time FPV TRANSMISSION Operate your drone through the app (iOS and Android) via Wi-Fi to enjoy real-time viewing of the high-definition images, making it easy and fun to shoot, as well as convenient to share.
- ONE-KEY TAKE-OFF and LANDING Simply by pressing one button, take-off and land like a pro every time.Together with headless mode &altitude hold function ,you’ll have an amazing and safe drone flying experience.For spare parts,please search “Spare parts DC-014”on Amazon.
Force1 UFO 3000 Mini Drone for Kids
Another great kids toy drone from Force1, the UFO 3000 Mini Drone for Kids is a favorite. This mini quadcopter is made for kids, so it’s easy to fly and has proper safety features. It is safe to use indoors and outdoors, and the blades are totally protected so it won’t hurt anyone if it touches them.
The Force1 UFO 3000 Mini Drone has one-key start and stop, so it’s not hard to fly. It can also hold altitude so it’s easily controlled, and there are two flight speeds for different skill levels. The best drone for young kids, it is only 5.5 inches by 5.5 inches, so it’s very portable. The Force1 UFO 3000 has two batteries, and can last up to 18 minutes when fully charged.
The propeller guards are fitted with LED lights, so this drone is extra fun and can light up the room or the dark sky. The lights are bright blue and green, and the drone itself is white and green. Quality is assured, and the Force1 UFO 3000 Mini Drone for Kids comes with a full refund if you aren’t satisfied.
- EASY REMOTE CONTROL DRONE FOR KIDS: These LED mini rc flying toys are super easy to fly with 1-Key Start/Stop and easy joystick directional controls
- UFO FLYING TOY WITH BRIGHT LED LIGHTS: These small drones feature durable propeller guards ringed with glowing blue and green LEDs
- STUNT DRONE FOR BEGINNERS: Outdoor / indoor drone features 4 channels, 2 speeds, Altitude Hold and Headless Mode; this beginner drone also performs 360° mini flips
- SPECS: This portable drone measures 5.5” x 5.5” and flies up to 18 minutes with 2 included rechargeable batteries
- QUALITY ASSURED GIFTS: These UFO drones for kids make great Christmas gift ideas for kids; We’ll provide a full refund if you’re not thrilled with this mini drone for kids and adults
Snaptain H823H Mini Drone for Kids
The Snaptain H823H Mini Drone for Kids is extremely inexpensive without sacrificing quality. This drone is great for kids, as it’s super safe and simple to fly. It has three speed settings for beginners, intermediates, and experts. The Snaptain H823H Mini Drone also features headless mode, so direction doesn’t matter.
Other safety features include altitude control, one-key take off and landing, as well as one-key return that brings the drone back to the location of the remote. The propellers are guarded, so they’re protected from collision for both the children’s and the drone’s safety.
The Snaptain H823H Mini Drone has LED lights, so it’s easy to see in the dark. Once you’ve gotten the hang of basic flying, this drone can perform 360 degree flips and rolls. It has a max fly time of 7 minutes, but if you upgrade to the Snaptain H823H Plus, it lasts 21 minutes.
- 【Altitude Hold】The drone will hover at the certain height when you release the throttle stick. Easy operation with extra fun.
- 【3D Flips Stunt】The robust and fantastic 360°flips & rolls stunt reveals effortlessly with the 6-Axis Gyro flying control system.
- 【Headless Mode】You are the pilot of the drone in headless mode. Orients the drone from your perspective to avoid the common direction chaos.
- 【One Key Return】The drone will instantly take off/land/return by a simple push of one single button. Fair idiot-proof with ultra-responsive motor.
- 【3 Speed Control】3 speed control to meet the needs for beginners, intermediate and experts. Mini pocket size makes it ultra portable.
Holy Stone HS170 Predator Mini RC Helicopter Drone
The Holy Stone HS170 Predator Mini RC Helicopter Drone makes a great gift for kids and adults. This drone is easy to use and great for training, although kids under 14 years should be supervised. A headless flight system makes this drone easy to fly, and a 6-axis gyro stabilization system improves balance for excellent recovery after stunts or sudden movements.
The Holy Stone HS170 Predator Mini RC Helicopter Drone has 2.4GHz technology for low interference. This drone is wind resistant and can fly 30-50 meters from the remote. Flight time lasts about 6 to 8 minutes, but the Predator Mini RC Helicopter Drone recharges in less than an hour.
This drone has 3 speed modes, so you can take your time learning how to fly it. It has a super lightweight design. For added fun and night flying, this quadcopter has colorful lights. With a low price point, this drone is an easy investment for kids or adults.
- Headless security system enables players of any level to fly the drone easily
- 2. 4GHz technology adopted for anti-interference
- More stable and flexible with 6-axis gyro stabilization system
- Good PERFORMANCE of wind-resistant control range: About 30-50 meters
- Flight time: about 6-8 minutes Charging time: about 45-60 minutes (under currents input 0. 5A-1a)
Altair AA108 Camera Drone
The Altair AA1808 Camera Drone is one of the best drones out there for someone on a budget, so it makes a great starter drone for children. It’s easy to learn to fly, with three flight modes for beginners, mid-level, and advanced pilots. This drone has other features that make learning how to fly it simple, like headless mode, altitude hold, and one-button take off and landing.
The camera on this drone is 720p HD with a 120 degree wide-angle lens, so it’s great for kids who want to take photos or videos. You can easily connect a smartphone, or use the camera without a connected device. This first person view camera drone has a long range and flight time – it can fly 100 meters and lasts 10 minutes.
The Altair AA108 Camera Drone comes with an extra battery, so you can fly it for longer. An added feature is the custom route mode, which allows you to draw a custom flight line for the drone to follow. This drone can be flown indoors or outdoors, and makes a great starter drone as it’s built to withstand crashes.
- CYBER MONDAY SALE ON NOW! - PREMIUM 720P CAMERA DRONE W REALTIME VIDEO: The Aerial AA108 comes with a 120 Degree Wide-Angle 720P HD camera that takes amazing photos and videos in birds eye view right from your phone. SD Card Not Included! We Recommend a Class 10 SD Card, Max Size 32 GB.
- EASY TO FLY - The Altair Quadcopter is easily piloted & has Headless Mode, Altitude Hold & 1-button takeoff & landing. This is a Great drone with camera for kids, beginners and pro pilots, easy to fly indoors as well.
- STABLE FLIGHT & DURABLE CONSTRUCTION for Long Lasting Fun! The Altair also has Custom Route Modes, Use your smartphone to draw a custom flight line on your mobile screen and the drone will fly according to your flight line.
- LONG RANGE & FLIGHT TIME - 100 Meters / Up to 10 Minutes, 720p Real Time FPV (First Person View) Great Drone For Beginners. Also Includes Advanced Remote Control Technology, NO SMARTPHONE REQUIRED, Out of range alarm, emergency landing function, and low battery alarm will keep the pilot and your Altair drone safe.
- Great Drone Gift for beginners, kids & all skill levels - 3 Flight Skill Levels: 1 – (Great Drone For Kids & Beginners), 2 – Mid Level, 3 – Advanced, Comes with Bonus Battery for extra flight time. USA based Small Business in Nebraska - We Ship International Select "Seller-Fulfilled Shipping At Checkout"
Syma X5C Explorers Quadcopter
The Syma X5C Explorers Quadcopter is one of our favorite budget drones, as it’s under $50. Between the low price and how well it works as a practice drone, the Syma X5C makes a great drone for a kid just learning how to fly. It can be used indoors or outdoors. This drone comes with blade guards, so the propellers are less likely to hurt a child and less likely to break in the event of a crash.
The Syma X5C Explorers Quadcopter is fitted with an HD camera, making it one of the few toy drones with a camera of this quality at such a low price point. It can take photos and videos mid-flight. This quadcopter is stable for first-time fliers, as it has a 6-axis gyro stabilization system. It’s also wind-resistant for flying outdoors.
The Syma X5C has a standard 7 minute flight time, and charges in roughly 100 minutes. Once you get used to flying, it can perform tricks like a 360 degree flip at the press of a button. This is not the best drone for young kids, but for teens and preteens it’s a great starter drone.
- Equipped with HD camera.
- Perform flips at the press of a button with 360 degree eversion, Wind resistant and can be flown indoors or outdoors
- 6-axis Gyro stabilization system ensures maximum stability during flight
- 7 Minute flight time and 100 minute charge time.
- Kindly refer the User manual for troubleshooting steps.
AirHogs Star Wars Millennium Falcon Quad
If your child loves Star Wars, this is the drone toy for them. The AirHogs Star Wars Millennium Falcon Drone is a small replica of Han Solo’s famous ship, complete with authentic sound effects and LED lights to mimic the real ship. It uses four concealed rotors to fly just like the original Millennium Falcon, and the guarded rotors also make this starter drone safer for kids.
The AirHogs Star Wars Quad can fly 200 meters from its remote control. With one button, you can activate the classic hyper-drive stunt on this toy drone. It has gyro stabilization for smooth flying. This drone was made for kids, so it’s easy for kids to fly. The controls are intuitive and simple to master.
The Millennium Falcon kids drone toy is for indoor use only. It is made from impact resistant foam, so it is crash resistant for beginners just learning to fly a drone. The AirHogs Millenium Falcon Quad is a great choice for kids, or for the Star Wars fan in your life.
- Now you can fly the most iconic ship in the Star Wars universe: the Millennium Falcon Quad with iconic LED lights and authentic sounds!
- The Millennium Falcon uses 4 rotors concealed on the body of the ship for agile, space-like flight!
- Its 2.4Ghz communication lets you control the Millennium Falcon up to 200 feet away! Activates its hyper-drive stunt with the push of a button!
- The Millennium Falcon is for star fighters aged 8+. 6 x AA batteries required for operation. For indoors and outdoors use.
- Includes: 1 Millennium Falcon Quad, 1 Remote Control, 1 Instruction Guide
AirHogs Star Trek USS Enterprise Drone
Another great toy drone from AirHogs, this one is for anyone who prefers Star Trek. This realistic USS Enterprise Drone is the perfect gift for kids or adults who love Star Trek and want to fly a drone. For less than $50, you can fly the Starship Enterprise.
This starter drone comes complete with a display stand, so it functions as memorabilia when it’s not in the air. When it flies, the AirHogs Star Trek USS Enterprise Drone has LED lights and 10 authentic Star Trek sounds, including a phaser sound effect. Super fans are sure to be impressed by the level of detail on this drone.
The AirHogs Star Trek USS Enterprise Drone was made for kids, so it’s easy to learn how to fly and safe. The propellers are guarded and the drone has gyro stabilization for smooth flying. You can even activate warp drive with the push of a button. This collector’s item is recommended for kids 10 years and older.
- Pilot the Starship Enterprise, complete with 10 authentic sounds and lights.
- 2.4Ghz remote communication for precise, long-distance control.
- Star Trek U.S.S. Enterprise RC is for ages 10+. Requires 4 AA batteries (not included).
How To Choose a Kids Drone
When you’re looking for the best drones for kids, there are a few important factors to consider. First, think of how old the child is and what they can handle in terms of playing responsibly: even the safest flying drones can crash and cause accidents. You should also look into each drone’s safety features, how easy it is to fly, durability, and cost.
Ease of Use
Drones take some practice to master flying them, so the easier, the better. Many drones have slower speed settings for beginners – this can be helpful for kids especially. Look for quadcopters that are easy to fly so that there’s less of a chance of it crashing and potentially breaking.
In case the drone does crash, which it very likely will, look for a durable drone so that it doesn’t get seriously damaged. Search for drones made with high quality materials, or that have added features for durability. Propellers with guards are less likely to break, and they’re safer as they’re less likely to hurt anyone.
You probably don’t want to buy a $500 drone for your kid. The high end drones have great features, but all drones are too easy to break, and children are not always responsible enough for such an expensive piece of technology. Most of our kids drones are under $100, so it won’t break the bank, and it won’t be the end of the world if the drone itself breaks.
Certain drone manufacturers list the age recommendation for drones. Some quadcopters are safe for four year olds, while others are recommended for ages 14 and up. Use your discretion when choosing a drone, but consider the recommended age groups. If you buy a more advanced drone for a younger child, we recommend supervising them while they use it.
Types of Drones for Kids
Looking for something specific? There are different categories of drones and features you may be looking for!
Drones for Kids with Cameras
For a kid who loves aerial photography or taking videos, there are plenty of kids drones with cameras. We recommend the Altair 818 Hornet Beginner Drone, the Holy Stone F181C RC Quadcopter Drone, the Spacekey FPV WiFi Drone, the Altair AA1808 Camera Drone, or the Syma X5C Explorer Quadcopter. Each of these drones have HD cameras and are still kid-friendly.
Mini Drones for Kids
If you’re looking for a small, compact drone, there are a few mini drones on this list. Our top mini drones for kids include the Potensic A20 Mini Drone, the Force1 UFO 3000 Mini Drone, or the Snaptain H823H Mini Drone.
Toy Drones for Little Kids
Shopping for a younger child? Some of the drones on our list may be too advanced for younger children, especially without supervision. For younger kids under 10, we recommend the Force1 Scoot Hand Operated Drone, the Force1 UFO 3000 Mini Drone, the Air Hogs Star Wars Millennium Falcon Quad, or the Air Hogs Star Trek USS Enterprise Drone.
Drone Child Safety
When buying a drone for your child, be sure to walk them through all the instructions and help them learn how to use it. Read any safety precautions for the specific drone you choose, and make sure the child understands how to safely handle a drone. If necessary, adult supervision can help prevent accidents.
Drones can be fun toys for kids, but they should always be handled responsibly. Learning more about drone safety and accident prevention can keep drones fun and safe for kids!
Find a Good Drone for Kids
Check out other Top-Rated Drones: